Weekly Review - Oct 12th

15 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Weekly Review – Oct 12th

Now another week of MechWarrior Online, recapped. Monday we posted Ask The Devs 20 – Answers, where I make jokes and occasionally answer a question. Tuesday a special PC Gamer came out - with front-page featuring our very own Centurion. Half of the office went out to get copies, so if you live in Vancouver, good luck finding any! Then we put out Bryan and Russ' post on Open Beta, followed by our Weekly Screenshot 22. After that was a very fun Reddit AMAA featuring Paul and myself - thanks for having us Reddit, it was a great time! I hope we get to do another one, to be honest.

Thanks for tuning in, and we hope you all have a great weekend!

Cheers, The MechWarrior Online Team

#2 Nacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 661 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hmm...

"We are looking into how we can ensure the Founder's can be happy with their purchase in terms of the Premium Account timeline and when does the time start ticking away. This is a business decision that is out of the realm of my design bubble, but I can assure you that both Garth and I made sure that Bryan and Russ knew about your concerns (Garth did a dance)."

Video or give refund! :huh:

Edited by Nacon, 12 October 2012 - 10:06 AM.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

Very nice (easy to read!) recap of the Reddit AMA right here: http://www.reddit.co...omments/11cx59/

#4 Ayumi Silverfops

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

While I'm glad for all the news and updates this week I'm a bit disappointed that the Reddit chat, overall, really did not answer much. For example, while I appreciated the clarifications on the plans for addressing concerns about a tutorial, and clarification and thoughts on the Open Beta concerns, I STILL have yet to see anyone addressing why the joystick/gamepad support is STILL taking a backseat but yet outside of a single Beta forum post nobody's talking about it.

When are we going to be able to finally use our joysticks and gamepads with this non-gimped digital-only setup we have now which is making it impossible to be competitive? I mean, I'd really like to play this game pain-free (have to use gamepads for gaming due to repetitive stress injuries in both of my arms that are pretty much permanent) with my friends rather than watch YouTube videos asking myself "When will I get to play?". :(

#5 Cyril Horatio

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

Really enjoyed the Reddit AMAA, was a refreshing change from the forums :(

#6 RandomCommander

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

by Inner Sphere News Oct 12, 2012 12:30 PM PDT

[possible slowpoke moment]LOL! you posted this as news!?[/possible slowpoke moment]

Anyways, it was a fun week, here's to hoping for the open beta release next week!

Edited by RandomCommander, 12 October 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#7 G SE7EN7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 579 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGaledon District

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:58 PM

wow... for all the patches and changes made/to come and crying going on this was a really short(and uninformative) weekly review.

#8 ferluci

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:54 AM

The direction you guys take together with the e-mail info's and off course your wise decision to not launch open Beta just yet makes me a happy mechcamper. Let the sun shine and bring the LRM rain.

#9 christophermx4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 113 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:32 AM

Great job listening to the community. This game has a lot of potential, and you guys are doing a fantastic job of nailing the actual gameplay. Once netcode is tightened up, and matchmaking improves, I see no reason for this game to not go Open Beta. The first impression is the one that sticks - might as well make it a good one.

#10 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

View PostG SE7EN7, on 12 October 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

wow... for all the patches and changes made/to come and crying going on this was a really short(and uninformative) weekly review.

Man, these guys just can't win with some people.

#11 Bansaku

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

Good work with the ongoing patching/optimization of MWO. I am no programmer, but I know how frustrating it can be to tweak; You fix/optimize one aspect only to have another fail. As a long time Battletech/Mechwarrior player, I can not wait for the final product of MWO. It has been too long since we had a really good, accurate Mechwarrior game. I am excited about the fact that you guys are incorporating the Lore of the Battletech universe quite accurately. What I would love to see of the final product are missions/scenarios based on real Mechwarrior events, such as Call to Arms! X House needs help defending/taking X planet, based on the awesome Lore FASA created. Anyway I ramble; Keep up the awesome work guys! Enjoy the warm Vancouver weather this weekend.

#12 Monsoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

View PostJman5, on 13 October 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

Man, these guys just can't win with some people.

QFT

Well, at least some of the community are now saying, 'you're listening' because apparently you weren't doing that for all the previous months. ;)

I appreciate the update on what's going on and look forward to the weeks and months ahead. Keep up the good work.

#13 machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Locationhere.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

Monsoon,

It wasnt that Closed BETA Testers changed thier minds. It was the Dev Team remaining largely silent the days before the patch on the forums, followed by a patch that was certifiably terribad. So much so that tons of players stopped showing up to play. The silence from the Dev Team continued for another day as the situation got worse.

At the same time as this happening Closed BETA Testers read the PC Gamer article saying the Devs feel Closed BETA Testers have no additional value to offer. Which pissed off more of the Closed BETA tester participants while the patch situation languished. The Testers showed some stringent opposition and magically there seemed to be a collective sigh of releif when the Development Team made a statement that reflected how they truely were listening and in fact would be integrating a great many of the suggestions Closed BETA Testers had been offering for months on game design.

Closed BETA Testers not only likely felt validated, but valued for recognized care for the prodauct and continued value as testers.

I personally felt listened to for example and to show support I moved from Veteran Founder to Elite Founder. If I believe in a product I am willing to pay for it to be a quality one. To the extent that I am able to that is...

Love, Machine

#14 GetinmyBellah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach, USA

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

I am so psyched with this game - I have never had this feeling in a game since I did playing Multi-Player Battle-Tech in the mid 90's if memory serves correctly (I recall FASA and another company name.... game something..?!?) That's saying a lot because I've owned every Battle-Mech/Mech-Warrior game for PC. Regardless if I recall right I had a TNT128 with a very shaky ASUS mainboard with a PII 350Mhz and 8MB or 16MB of memory with a huge 8GB hard drive. lul. Anyway MP-BT was the stuff and I've waited for this game for soooo very long. Thank you Pirahna and all involved you have roxored mah boxers! I am so glad you all have remained so persistent in waiting for the opportunity to finally be given access to make this game possible.

I am just coming into the closed beta. Unfortunately I have had the option to join for quite some time now, but I had spine surgery and two discs replaced with titanium fasteners so I've been quietly watching from the sidelines. Yeah going back to coming into the closed beta - I agree on many points as to why this beta isn't ready for an "open" stage, and for me it's namely I feel the mechanics, and controller situation bear more work. I also feel that can only be accomplished now during the closed phase before the masses descend and the problems just compound themselves, along with the "crying".

Regardless I am really enjoying myself even though I am bound to utilizing my kboard and mouse, only because of the aforementioned reasons. However, I still feel the closed community and myself included have more to offer and aren't spent, as of yet. One of the reasons Valve and Blizzard have been my top two favorite creators and distributors is the fact they won't release a game until it's polished. So many developers release titles nowadays in a beta phase in my opinion and I'm tired of it quite frankly. Don't release something and then follow it up with many patches within a short period - these issues should be taken care of in alpha, beta and quality control phases. These developers have no issue pushing back a release and one was nearly a year in one case to make certain it was truly ready for gold release (cough SCII). I would much rather wait and have it right opposed to playing a gold beta. Just my opinions of course.

Best Wishes,
Robey

#15 Rotaugen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

I'll be a happy camper once the mech lab glitches are worked out. I've got a Founders Atlas with SRMs that won't reload, and I'm afraid to open it in the mech lab for fear of having the armor bug that ruined another mech. Still, having a lot of fun, and just talked two friends into jumping in. One more and we'll have a 4 man lance...

#16 Dark Goten

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 34 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationThe Abyss

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

Its nice to finally Have another MW game that actually FEELS like im in the fight. Its been too long. There are still some glitches in the Mech Lab that I am noticing, Kinda like what Rotaugen was saying, but Its minor and work able. I hope Open Beta will help us all clear some of this up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users