BattleTech Lore Masters

13 replies to this topic

#1 darthJaeger

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 67 posts
  • LocationRight behind you

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

I have two questions for you guys and gals. I've already searched the site and come up with nadda thus far. So here goes ...

1) Where can I find some data sheets or technical schematatics on joint articulators ? And NO I'm not being a trolling dousche ! I am being quite serious. I've looked & seached BattleTechWiki but Im not after the manufacturer etc etc. I want the capabilities specifications.

2) Does anyone know of any Visio Stencils for BattleTech ? You can guess what im going to do with these Im sure.

Cheers

Edited by darthJaeger, 23 October 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#2 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

Not aware of any outside of some official schematic shots released over the years, mostly by FASA. Try various google image searches, but I would be more generic than the phrase "joint articulators". Closest thing in BT is the actuators, but I would just search for general schematics, blueprints, CAD drawings

#3 darthJaeger

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

Thanks Elyam, I thought it might be a tall order.

#4 Jaime Wolfe

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

It is hard to find some good pics. The best I could quickly find for you is a copy(kinda) of the Vultures omni-mech Blueprint.

http://www.abload.de...aglargelo6j.jpg

I don't know if this pic might help either
http://www.abload.de...cutaway8t11.jpg

Hopefully that helps

I also realized that I have the original blueprints in my collection. If you see a specific area of one of them that you would like an enlarged version of, please let me know and I will scan it in and post it. The blueprints themselves are too large for my tastes to scan as a whole.

#5 darthJaeger

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

That's some awsome detail Jamie thankyou for sharing.

#6 Wolfhound3060

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

Just saw this question.

There is an article on sarna that really goes into detail about Mechs. No schematics, but great descriptions.

http://www.sarna.net...Mech_Technology

Hope that helps.

#7 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationCapellan March, Federated Suns

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

There's several pseudo-blueprints out there, but the truth is that there's really no such thing as a true actuator diagram, much less a stencil for MS Visio. Trust me on this, I would have had it YEARS ago if such a thing existed.

#8 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:35 AM

Yep.

Though there might be some flavor text on it inside of Techmanual, I think it's one of those things that they didn't get too specific about in order to give artists and writers some liberty.

From what I can tell, though, actuators are less elbows and servos, more regulator circuitry that manages the Myomer musculature inside of the battlemechs' limbs.

#9 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

View Postice trey, on 30 October 2012 - 03:35 AM, said:

Yep.

Though there might be some flavor text on it inside of Techmanual, I think it's one of those things that they didn't get too specific about in order to give artists and writers some liberty.

From what I can tell, though, actuators are less elbows and servos, more regulator circuitry that manages the Myomer musculature inside of the battlemechs' limbs.

Actually, they're kind of both. I've seen "actuator packages" described as the regulatory circuitry in fiction while I've also seen "actuators" described as the actual joints (shoulders, elbows, wrists, hips, knees, ankles). I think that they're almost an interchangable term, but if you're wanting to be specific, I'd say "actuators" would be the actual joints while "actuator packages" would be the control packages that are attached to the actuators.

#10 Hythos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationLOS ANGELES, er, I mean Dustball

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

Perhaps the real thing may help:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Defekt

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

What on earth is that from?!

#12 Paladin1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

I'm going to guess it's a right arm elbow actuator (Defiance Industries model #867-5309) out of a stock TDR-5SS Thunderbolt, but I could be wrong I guess.

#13 RMartinez

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

DarthJaeger, you need to find a copy of Classic Battletech Companion, Fanpro #10975. This book has a whole fluff chapter for gamemasters that goes into depth to describe how all the major components of a battlemech function in the universe. There are pictures of how myomer attaches to the internal structure and actuators to move a mechs limbs.

There have been several different sets of cutaway drawings made for some of the more popular battlemechs, but none of them are going to have the level of technical detail you are probably looking for. You have to understand that there is a ton of stuff in the board game construction rules that just does not track with tech developments since the 1980s when the rules were devised (computers in mechs weigh as much as a car); as a result most of the cut away drawings use what I call constructive gizmology to make something that looks plausible to the casual observer.

#14 MadFJohn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 202 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

or you can just find the old mechwarrior RPG first and its reprint its got it in there and a small breakdown of the systems of the mech from its computers security system to how the miners were attached to the mech

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users