MechWarrior Online and Lucid Virtu MVP

56 replies to this topic

#21 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

You explained it better than their website did, but I can't help but wonder if this is such a magical way to improve performance . . why isn't it patented by Nvidia and integrated into Optimus ™.

I have to admit, however, my curiosity as a performance enthusiast is piqued. . . I just have no personal practical application for the software. That is not to say that I don't deal with a lot of people on more frugal tech budgets than mine that couldn't use this as a solution, so you'll have to forgive me if I continue to hammer on how all this stuff works, bench test results, etc if they're available somewhere.

Seriously, if I had a rig with a mid end card and integrated grahpics I'd test it myself, but the only one in the house is my wife's 2600k rig that I'm waiting on a case so I can finish rebuilding. She inherited my dual 6970s when I upgraded to a set of 7950s, . and I am *NOT* using my wife's rig as a test bench for something like this. I'm crazy, not stupid :)

Edited by Sen, 22 November 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#22 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

because skip mode (2nd option - the only one that really improves performance) gutting picture by disabling processing of "unnecessary" things so if you for example have sensitive yes like me you will see slight blinking. if you have high freq monitor you will see same blinking. some effects would work weird etc - essentially this is equal to choosing "medium" instead of "high" with one exception - you will not notice difference in most cases. for me sadly it is unusable - my eyes start to burn. so i'll stick to good old overclocking.

sorry about intel video - still don't have hardware.

#23 enerider

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

View PostSen, on 22 November 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

You explained it better than their website did, but I can't help but wonder if this is such a magical way to improve performance . . why isn't it patented by Nvidia and integrated into Optimus ™.

I have to admit, however, my curiosity as a performance enthusiast is piqued. . . I just have no personal practical application for the software. That is not to say that I don't deal with a lot of people on more frugal tech budgets than mine that couldn't use this as a solution, so you'll have to forgive me if I continue to hammer on how all this stuff works, bench test results, etc if they're available somewhere.

Seriously, if I had a rig with a mid end card and integrated grahpics I'd test it myself, but the only one in the house is my wife's 2600k rig that I'm waiting on a case so I can finish rebuilding. She inherited my dual 6970s when I upgraded to a set of 7950s, . and I am *NOT* using my wife's rig as a test bench for something like this. I'm crazy, not stupid ;)

All good - although if you have dual cards already then VirtuMVP is probably not gonna do you any favours :rolleyes:

In addition to a Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge Intel CPU, you'll also need a motherboard that comes with the VirtuMVP stuff (for example, the Z77E-ITX motherboard I have) and a nVidia/AMD GPU of some description.

@Kurayami: No worries - research is never easy :) As for the picture quality I can't say I've noticed any real issues with it - looks pretty good to me! (but then again, I have low expectations...)

#24 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

Ahh, hardware must support. . that kills it.

I have a buddy that was looking for a low cost notebook build that could do gaming. . hence the interest, but it sounds like too many variables for me to recommend a solution like this to him. If it's gotta be certified hardware, etc.

#25 RenegadeMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationUSA's Caustic Valley: Arizona

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

I am upgrading to an Intel I5 3470 processor and a ASUS P8B75-V motherboard that supports Lucid Virtu MVP. Once I get that within the next week or so, I will be sure to post my benchmarks/FPS before and after enabling Lucid Virtu MVP with my GTX 680.

The results that have been posted so far seem encouraging ;)

#26 devast8ndiscodave

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

New version.

http://europe.asrock...(v2.1.221_64bit).zip

#27 DerelictTomcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 245 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

Where the hell am I?

Edited by DerelictTomcat, 28 November 2012 - 10:36 PM.

#28 M T

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGouda, South Holland

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

I have an Asrock Extreme4-M + i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz
Nvidia EVGA 670 GTX

Going to give it a try, I already enabled and overclocked the Internal i7 (Intel HD4000) from stock 1150Mhz to 1500Mhz lets see what they can to when I mix them together ;)

Seems to be working, Didn't try with MWO yet.

#29 xenoglyph

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

Doesn't do a whole lot for me. Definitely doesn't make things worse, but I think it only gets me an extra 2 or 3 fps. Uninstalled for now.

#30 Henchman 24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 529 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

My brother's rig is now a few months old, i5 2500, asrock z68 board, hd4870....Virtu worked fine right off the bat, switching from on die graphics to the discrete card on launch with no drop in FPS for him.

I'm not sure what you guys expect Virtu to do other than swap between GPUs depending on load. It does not combine in any way though....seems a few think that may be the case. It's either the intel on chip GPU...OR your video card, not both or any combo of both....if you want Hybrid, Lucid had another product nobody bought called HydraVision, that combined cards, etc. Either that or go AMD for their hybrid, but you need one of their crippled APUs to use it.

#31 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

It does not combine in any way though....seems a few think that may be the case

You are mistakenly confusing LucidVirtu with LucidVirtuMVP . Virtu (Sandy Bridge) behaves as you describe, by toggling between either onboard or discrete GPU's. MVP (Ivy Bridge) however *does combine the two cards into a hybrid crossfire type deal, increasing framerates sometimes by large margins. YMMV, but MVP does indeed combine them.

#32 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

What puts me off is, both my MB and the Lucid website say my MB supports Lucid Virtu MVP. It's a flippin' FM2 socket though, and both you folks here and the Lucid site talk about Intel integrated graphics.

So, in short... why the hell is this software being supported by my board, if it's not intended for an AMD chip? I mean, if it IS, then hell yeah I'll use it. But it doesn't SOUND like it is.

EDIT Add to this the fact that my board supports Intel XMP, supposedly that's how it supports up to DDR3 2400 RAM. But kinda off-putting wondering if all this software and hardware will actually get along with each other.

Edited by Sir Roland MXIII, 02 December 2012 - 02:38 AM.

#33 RenegadeMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationUSA's Caustic Valley: Arizona

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Lucid Virtu MVP installs no problem, but it the gives me a darn "wrong GPU configuration" message with a NVIDIA GTX 680, ASUS P8B75-V mobo, and Intel i5-3470 that has Intel HD Graphics. I have ensured all of the following, including successfully setting & utilizing the primary GPU to the iGPU (integrated):

In order to install VIRTU, Virtu Universal and Virtu MVP you system should have a minimum requirement capability. Please verify the following:
1. An integrated GPU, typically an Intel HDxxxx, is available.
2. A discrete GPU is installed in your system.
3. The integrated GPU is always enabled in your BIOS. Note: this is important as in many cases the integrated GPU will be disabled if a discrete GPU is added to the system.(We recommend setting the iGPU as the primary display adapter)
In your Windows OS:
4) Verify that you have the latest Intel® HD Graphics driver [through Intel's support page]
5) Verify that you have the latest driver for your dGPU [through NVidia/AMD support page]

The only inkling of a problem I can find is that the Device Manager reports this error from my Intel HD Graphics device: "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)."

I've been in Google hell for a while now and haven't been able to find a solution that resolves the resource error, in hopes I can get Virtu MVP to run:
  • Completely uninstall & reinstall the HD Graphics Driver
  • Disable on-board audio to mitigate a device conflict
  • Set a fixed amount of iGPU memory (1 GB) instead of Auto
  • Run msinfo32.exe, navigate to Hardware Resources > Conflics/Sharing, and try to find the conflict
    • "Intel HD Graphics" isn't listed, but some "chipset family PCI Express root ports" and "processor PCI Express root ports" have "conflicts" with GTX 680
Any suggestions from fellow Virtu MVPers would be greatly appreciated.

View PostSir Roland MXIII, on 02 December 2012 - 02:37 AM, said:

What puts me off is, both my MB and the Lucid website say my MB supports Lucid Virtu MVP. It's a flippin' FM2 socket though, and both you folks here and the Lucid site talk about Intel integrated graphics.
So, in short... why the hell is this software being supported by my board, if it's not intended for an AMD chip? I mean, if it IS, then hell yeah I'll use it. But it doesn't SOUND like it is.

As someone who hasn't been able to get it to run, Virtu MVP seems to lack decent error messages/logging, and in some cases the supported configurations is confusing, like Sir Roland noted. Lucidlogix web site implies that their software will work with their list of motherboards, Intel HD Graphics integrated GPU, and any NVIDIA or AMD discrete GPU. However, my ASUS motherboard documentation says "supports NVIDIA GF4XX/5XX series and AMD HD5XXX/6XXX series graphics cards." Given this, perhaps its not even worth trying to install Virtu MVP with my 680, especially considering that someone else on this thread didn't get a performance boost from their GTX 670, but inquiring minds would like to know if Virtu MVP works in my particular case.

#34 devast8ndiscodave

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

New versions.

x64
http://www.lucidlogi...Setup_64Bit.exe

x86
http://www.lucidlogi...Setup_32Bit.exe

#35 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostSir Roland MXIII, on 02 December 2012 - 02:37 AM, said:

EDIT Add to this the fact that my board supports Intel XMP, supposedly that's how it supports up to DDR3 2400 RAM. But kinda off-putting wondering if all this software and hardware will actually get along with each other.

Hopefully, in a month or two when I can get my GPU, someone will have answered my question...

Edited by Sir Roland MXIII, 03 December 2012 - 06:20 PM.

#36 enerider

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

View PostSir Roland MXIII, on 03 December 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

Hopefully, in a month or two when I can get my GPU, someone will have answered my question...

Hi there - been busy with work, life and stuff.

Not sure what goes on there! If your mobo seems to support it - I'd say just give it a try!

I'm not 100% clear on the AMD aspect at this point - will have to do some reading

#37 enerider

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

View PostRenegadeMaster, on 02 December 2012 - 10:13 AM, said:

Lucid Virtu MVP installs no problem, but it the gives me a darn "wrong GPU configuration" message with a NVIDIA GTX 680, ASUS P8B75-V mobo, and Intel i5-3470 that has Intel HD Graphics. I have ensured all of the following, including successfully setting & utilizing the primary GPU to the iGPU (integrated):

The only inkling of a problem I can find is that the Device Manager reports this error from my Intel HD Graphics device: "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)."

I've been in Google hell for a while now and haven't been able to find a solution that resolves the resource error, in hopes I can get Virtu MVP to run:
  • Completely uninstall & reinstall the HD Graphics Driver
  • Disable on-board audio to mitigate a device conflict
  • Set a fixed amount of iGPU memory (1 GB) instead of Auto
  • Run msinfo32.exe, navigate to Hardware Resources > Conflics/Sharing, and try to find the conflict
    • "Intel HD Graphics" isn't listed, but some "chipset family PCI Express root ports" and "processor PCI Express root ports" have "conflicts" with GTX 680
Any suggestions from fellow Virtu MVPers would be greatly appreciated.

As someone who hasn't been able to get it to run, Virtu MVP seems to lack decent error messages/logging, and in some cases the supported configurations is confusing, like Sir Roland noted. Lucidlogix web site implies that their software will work with their list of motherboards, Intel HD Graphics integrated GPU, and any NVIDIA or AMD discrete GPU. However, my ASUS motherboard documentation says "supports NVIDIA GF4XX/5XX series and AMD HD5XXX/6XXX series graphics cards." Given this, perhaps its not even worth trying to install Virtu MVP with my 680, especially considering that someone else on this thread didn't get a performance boost from their GTX 670, but inquiring minds would like to know if Virtu MVP works in my particular case.

My suggestions for now would be to ensure that you get the latest chipset drivers from Intel.

Generally I try to install the motherboard drivers first - following after the motherboard drivers with the graphics and everything else.

Which version of Windows are you running?

#38 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

View Postenerider, on 03 December 2012 - 06:47 PM, said:

Hi there - been busy with work, life and stuff.

Not sure what goes on there! If your mobo seems to support it - I'd say just give it a try!

I'm not 100% clear on the AMD aspect at this point - will have to do some reading

I did do some reading up on it, and I don't see why AMD APUs wouldn't be compatable with Virtu MVP, but then again, the fact Lucid ONLY discusses the software in terms of Intel CPUs is... worrisome. As for testing it, yeah I plan to. My AsRock says it's compatable with XMP and Virtu MVP so I figure, sure why not. I mean, worst case scenario is, what exactly? I have to format and reinstall Windows? Well, hell, I often end up having to do that again anyways, in all bloody fairness.

(Like, for example, this week, since uninstalling and reinstalling MW:O didn't go well and now I need to format and reinstall Windows JUST so MW:O will reinstall. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)

Edited by Sir Roland MXIII, 03 December 2012 - 06:57 PM.

#39 enerider

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

View PostSir Roland MXIII, on 03 December 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

I did do some reading up on it, and I don't see why AMD APUs wouldn't be compatable with Virtu MVP, but then again, the fact Lucid ONLY discusses the software in terms of Intel CPUs is... worrisome. As for testing it, yeah I plan to. My AsRock says it's compatable with XMP and Virtu MVP so I figure, sure why not. I mean, worst case scenario is, what exactly? I have to format and reinstall Windows? Well, hell, I often end up having to do that again anyways, in all bloody fairness.

(Like, for example, this week, since uninstalling and reinstalling MW:O didn't go well and now I need to format and reinstall Indows JUST so MW:O will reinstall. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)

You may not need to go that far - just uninstall MW:O and then use something like CCleaner to get the pesky Registry entries ;)

As I said - I'll do some reading - but it sounds like you've already done the homework there.

Trying it out shouldn't need a reinstall (unless things go REALLY pear-shaped)

#40 enerider

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

View Postxenoglyph, on 01 December 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

Doesn't do a whole lot for me. Definitely doesn't make things worse, but I think it only gets me an extra 2 or 3 fps. Uninstalled for now.

What hardware are you using? (out of idle curiosity)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users