I got Nvidia 3D Vision up and running!

5 replies to this topic

#1 Endrick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

Those of you who love your 3D rig, I finally figured out (after digging through cryengine 3 documentation) how to get it to work in MWO.

In C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\User.cfg
Dump this code in and save it:

r_stereomode = 1
r_stereodevice = 3
r_StereoScreenDist = 20.00

Restart MWO and head to the settings options.
The ability to turn on 3D vision in the game setting will be activated.

You can't adjust convergence settings with the keyboard, it's done via r_StereoScreenDist (which is with this config currently set to be ~30 ft in front of your mech). I like a high convergence with my 78" screen, your mileage may vary. If you do make adjustments, you need to restart MWO from scratch to try them out.

Feedback for the devs:
I appreciate how cool the helmet elements all bend outward into 3D space around your vision. The targeting reticles don't necessarily need to scale into the distance based on what they're pointed at, but they need to, at a minimum, be pushed back further into the screen, perhaps centering just past the cockpit.

Also, it's obvious now how much cheating was done for the cockpit since everything goes flat. For a better 3D vision rating, the whole cockpit should be done in 3D, otherwise it doesn't scale in and out of the screen correctly.

#2 Usche

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:23 AM

Hey Endrick - good work finding the workarround in the CryEngine doc.

My first impressions on 3D Vision in MW:O were AWSOME, although they did not implemented real 3D support jet (nearly all HUD elements are in a plain field of view so you cannot focus correctly with the crosshair). Everything is much more realistic and also the aiming is improved, because of the ability to estimate the distance to the target!
I'am looking forward to play this game , when 3D is fully supported!

Cheers Usche

#3 Endrick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

View PostUsche, on 02 November 2012 - 02:23 AM, said:

Hey Endrick - good work finding the workarround in the CryEngine doc.

My first impressions on 3D Vision in MW:O were AWSOME, although they did not implemented real 3D support jet (nearly all HUD elements are in a plain field of view so you cannot focus correctly with the crosshair). Everything is much more realistic and also the aiming is improved, because of the ability to estimate the distance to the target!
I'am looking forward to play this game , when 3D is fully supported!

Cheers Usche

That's exactly my feelings on the matter as well. At this point I'd be happy if they just pushed the cross hairs back, the rest I can deal with being close.

Based on how the heat and and jump gauge sit just behind and on either side of the radar, I know they're on the right track to getting this right.

#4 Arete

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:36 AM

Have tried 3D mode a few times, and it's awesome indeed.

The crosshair problem could be solved quite easily imho, just render it at the z-axis of what it's aimed at. Will not make any difference for 2D players, since it's just a 2D sprite, but will make seeing where the crosshair really is quite a bit easier for 3D.

Edited by Arete, 08 March 2013 - 05:37 AM.

#5 Supai

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 10 posts
  • LocationHeadspace Earth

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

now after patch i tried this once again and found out that .. THIS WORKS NOW AGAIN - and ITS AWESOME :D))

some objects in the far distance arent rendered correctly but WHATEVER this is next gen gaming!

thumbs up guys!

#6 Gamer Kate

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:04 AM

Thanks for posting this Endrick and yes the game needs some tweaking to work properly in 3D, but heck it's really awesome ;)

The depth really makes the game so much more realistic and immersive. Now I can play this amazing game without getting annoyed about the 3D Vision button greyed out ^^

Now the feeling of sitting in a mec has become almost real and I look around in amazement on the landscape, but it got me killed yesterday lol. Remember: Kill your enemy first, THEN look at the graphics when you play with Nvidia 3D Vision, haha.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users