13 replies to this topic

#1 Kaputnik

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 52 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

This workaround just works for the "Corrupted Shader Files" problem and do not require downloading programs!

for other graphical issues resulting in framerate drop look here:

http://mwomercs.com/...g-certain-ways/

This Guide is written under the assumption that you have installed MechWarrior Online the standart way into this folder:
C:GamesPiranha GamesMechwarrior Online

if not, simply replace those lines to your actual folder, or ask via commenting for Help, i will reply as soon as possible!

Before continuing you can try if deleting the following folder is a fix to your problem:

C:\Games\Piranha Games\Mechwarrior Online\USER\Shaders

if that helps: continue reading.

If not: then try looking here:

What does that Workaround do?
Basically this Workaround automatically deletes that Folder every time you start MechWarrior Online thus is only helping with corrupted shader files

Here is the Step by Step:

1: open your basic windows Notepad (not Word or Open Office)
you can do so by pressing "Start", type in "notepad" and hit the enter button (windows vista and windows 7)
or pressing "Start", press "execute", type in "notepad" and hit enter (windows XP)
or by Right-Clicking the Desktop and go to "New" and press "New Text Document"

2: copy and paste the following three lines of text in THE EXACT order into the empty file:

rd /s /q "C:GamesPiranha GamesMechWarrior OnlineUSERShaders"
cd "C:GamesPiranha GamesMechWarrior OnlineBin32"
MechWarriorOnline

3: click "Save As" and change the type from "Textfile" to "Any" and make shure the "encoding" part is set to "ANSI"
i suggest saving the file on your Desktop!

4: type in: MWO.bat
note: the "MWO" part is up to you to rename it any way you want, the ".bat" part is the important one and must be written exactly like mentioned!!!

5: From now on use the produced MWO.bat to start MechWarrior Online instead of the Launcher Icon

If the Framerate start to drop again, simply close MWO and restart it with the MWO.bat
that you made yourself!

That Workaround already helped 3 persons so far including myself!

If you have troubles with the Workaround simply drop a Commend!

greetings Kaputnik!

For those Curious how that workaround works exactly, here is the description:

what we are creating is a batch file (.bat) inside of such a batch file, there can be any dos code wich can also be entered into the console. It will be executed the order it was written.

It is utmost important to keep the order i mentioned because FIRST it should delete the folder AND THEN it should start MWO, the other way round will not work!

rd /s /q "C:GamesPiranha GamesMechWarrior OnlineUSERShaders"
rd means Remove Directory, it is a DOS command witch deletes a specified Folder with ALL included data.
the /s tells the rd command to also remove every subfolder
the /q tells the rd command to not question if you want the files to be deletet
in the code we use for the Workaround it removes the "Shaders" folder

cd "C:GamesPiranha GamesMechWarrior OnlineBin32"
cd means Change Directory, it is a DOS command witch temporarly switches the current position of your console to somewhere else specified.
in the code we use it changes the position into the "Bin32" folder

MechWarriorOnline
this line simply tries to Execute a programm (inside the current position of your Console) called MechWarriorOnline. That will ONLY WORK if we changed the position of the console from windows standart to the "Bin32" folder with the "cd" command used above
Why?
because only in the "Bin32" folder there is a MechWarriorOnline.exe file wich can be executet :o
This MechWarriorOnline file is the same that your standart MechWarrior Online Desktop Shortcut uses

Edited by Kaputnik, 30 October 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#2 XManBG

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Didn't worked for me, but thanks for sharing!!
You are not saying why do we have to delete the Shaders folder every time we start MWO?!
What is the Shaders folder??

Cheers

Edited by XManBG, 30 October 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#3 Monkey Bone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

I don't think this problem is related to shaders since so far every time the lagg has started i just rebooted the game and boom - next 2 games are 60 fps until it drops back to 4.

#4 CrayTrashfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationKalidasa

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostXManBG, on 30 October 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

You are not saying why do we have to delete the Shaders folder every time we start MWO?!

Cheers

its your cache for shaders they will reload everytime you start mwo i had a dev tell me to do it a while back after a patch in august it helped a lot. havnt been getting frame rate drop enough to care lately but thanks for the coding OP

Edited by CrayTrashfire, 30 October 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#5 BladeXXL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

This is big bull**** ... sorry Kaputnik!

Deleting the shaders only helps if you change some cvars affecting on Shaders!
If not - the game restores the SAME shaders every time you delete them! WITHOUT ANY DIFFERENCE!

So please stop confusing newbies with this placebo.

#6 Chronojam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Ah, yes, this avoids "strange programs" by trusting some guy to provide elevated, recursive, auto-accepting folder delete scripts!

The odds of your shader cache encountering corruption on every successive load seems quite low, there's no need to always delete these files.

#7 Kaputnik

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 52 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostXManBG, on 30 October 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

Cheers

Sorry to hear that it dont work every time mate.
As soon as i can suggest something new i will post it here.

What it is you ask?

It dumps shader files into the cache folder to get more performance out of weaker hardware by pre-calculating pixel and/or vertex shading processes. I personally dont know the MWO code but as far as my IT knowledge reaches either there are corrupted shader files createt that stay in the cache directory because of some coding error making the shading unit running mad or it simply overloads the Shading Cache wich would slow down the gpu. I personally think its the first of them two (the corrupted shader files thingy).

It is possible that corrupted files just occur with specific hardware for example ATI graphics generation 6XXX or outdatet drivers, any way clearing the cache folder is fixing this problem until it gets corruptet again, IF it is the shading problem, in your case it might be something else.

If MWO deletes the cache folder after each run it would strongly reduce the shading problem in general (not fixing it completely) but on the other hand the hardware has to recreate the shading cache every time resulting in longer loading screens (wich arent that bad by now)

View PostJules Gonzales, on 30 October 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

I don't think this problem is related to shaders since so far every time the lagg has started i just rebooted the game and boom - next 2 games are 60 fps until it drops back to 4.

Like mentioned above, it is likely to be a problem with the code of MWO and the shading of the used hardware but it does not mean it absolutely has to be mentioned problem on every user out there.

View PostCrayTrashfire, on 30 October 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

its your cache for shaders they will reload everytime you start mwo i had a dev tell me to do it a while back after a patch in august it helped a lot. havnt been getting frame rate drop enough to care lately but thanks for the coding OP

you are welcome

View PostBladeXXL, on 30 October 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

This is big bull**** ... sorry Kaputnik!

Deleting the shaders only helps if you change some cvars affecting on Shaders!
If not - the game restores the SAME shaders every time you delete them! WITHOUT ANY DIFFERENCE!

So please stop confusing newbies with this placebo.

OK i will try to stay polite as you should have done:

if the shader files get corrupted and are not removed by the engine because of some broken code the shading unit might run rambo on your FPS. To fix that either the program itself totally clears the cache folder including corrupted files (what it does not do on some users machines at the moment) or you clear the cache manually removing the corrupted files (what my Workaround does for you automated)

Anyway thanks for the "nice" feedback nex time try to use less "strong" words :wacko:

View PostChronojam, on 30 October 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

Ah, yes, this avoids "strange programs" by trusting some guy to provide elevated, recursive, auto-accepting folder delete scripts!

The odds of your shader cache encountering corruption on every successive load seems quite low, there's no need to always delete these files.

Edit:
I am truely sorry if i have insultet you in any possible way and/or disrespected your effort to help others with your topic.

My Workaround truely helps just with the corrupted shader files problem and not with the other 2 kinds of issues described by your Topic.

I personally dont trust third party programs because i have encountered heaps of malicious software out there and rather try to do anything without getting aditional software instead of downloading something i might not need later and risking the (often just very small) possibility to catch a malicious piece of code.

I agree that trusting some random dude is risky so i clearly described what this little batch file does, anyone disbelieving shall take google and search for "batch commands" him/herself to proof my code and to see what is behind my created batch file (nothing malicious at all)
5 minutes of research and anyone capable of opening notepad can create such a thing himself honestly :blush:

Of course the odds are low that it will get corrupted any time you load a map but better have it removed by just clicking the batch file than every time searching that folder and deleting it. The batch file simply saves you time by (as described) >automatically< clearing the shading cache!

I changed every post leading here, i changed the opening post and i added the Link to your topic on the opening and the linking posts so if the deleting of the cache folder doesnt work, the newer ones here can try your solutions for the other 2 problems. I hope you accept my sorrys :D

Any more questions or feedback of any kind?

Edited by Kaputnik, 30 October 2012 - 02:24 PM.

#8 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

I would try MANUALLY removing the /shaders directory to see if it offers you, personally, any FPS or performance gains. If t DOES give you some gain, then it might be ime to look into automatically removing the /shaders cache. If removing the cache isn't helping you at all, this this is just a waste of time.

#9 Kaputnik

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 52 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 30 October 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

I would try MANUALLY removing the /shaders directory to see if it offers you, personally, any FPS or performance gains. If t DOES give you some gain, then it might be ime to look into automatically removing the /shaders cache. If removing the cache isn't helping you at all, this this is just a waste of time.

exactly! try it first then decide if you want the batch it is just as i said in the beginning but it seems it is not big enough for everyone to see, instead they criticise me of thinking this batch works magic on every problem including world peace :/

I have edited the opening post so that this is more visible.

Edited by Kaputnik, 30 October 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#10 Kaputnik

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 52 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

To make shure it is read by anyone posting past here as well as editing the original post:

If your problem is not fixed by deleting the shading folder, you have no problem with corrupted shading files!
Instead try looking in this topic tacling the other issues:

Edited by Kaputnik, 30 October 2012 - 02:24 PM.

#11 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:15 AM

To the alarmists out there, there is nothing wrong with the OP's batch file. It contains standard DOS commands, to delete the game cache, to change to the game directory, and to run the game file.

I have had good results occasionally manually deleting the cache. The BAT file makes it an automated thing is all....

Biggest thing in making the bat file work is typing the correct path to your cache and executable.

#12 Crashking

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 75 posts
  • LocationIn Game

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

Just to confirm what I am reading here, the shaders folder is only reloaded when you relaunch MWO. The files are replaced if you were to say delete them in between playing a round? I have noticed sometimes you can get several matches in before having FPS drops or game lockups and others it seems like just a couple. It gets very annoying especially the game lockups mid match when you're doing well. I hate having to come back to my mech bay to find that my mech was a nice practice dummy for someone and now I have to pay the bill.

#13 Kaputnik

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 52 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

View PostEnsaine, on 31 October 2012 - 04:15 AM, said:

To the alarmists out there, there is nothing wrong with the OP's batch file. It contains standard DOS commands, to delete the game cache, to change to the game directory, and to run the game file.

I have had good results occasionally manually deleting the cache. The BAT file makes it an automated thing is all....

Biggest thing in making the bat file work is typing the correct path to your cache and executable.

Thank you :D

View PostCrashking, on 31 October 2012 - 07:02 AM, said:

Just to confirm what I am reading here, the shaders folder is only reloaded when you relaunch MWO. The files are replaced if you were to say delete them in between playing a round? I have noticed sometimes you can get several matches in before having FPS drops or game lockups and others it seems like just a couple. It gets very annoying especially the game lockups mid match when you're doing well. I hate having to come back to my mech bay to find that my mech was a nice practice dummy for someone and now I have to pay the bill.

Partly confirmed

First i dont know for shure if it is reloaded EVERY time you restart the game regulary but it is correct that if there arent any shading files they are created every time on start. Thats why this particular workaround does absolutely no damage or harm to any important processes/files. It is just like deleting your history in your browser.

Secondly i believe the files are not being deletet whilst actual playing because the game is using some of them thus blocking deletion. They only might be renewed, updated or created (if they are not existing yet) while you are in the Loading screen or whilst playing.

The problem with the corrupted shading is it occurs completely random. Sadly there is no fix at the moment. I think a true fix might be either not creating shadin cache files wich might result in low performance on weak hardware or to find the problem wich is resulting in coruption and fixing it (witch i think they are trying or atleast should be) and yes it is totally annoying to just get your mech scrapped without fighting back.

Edited by Kaputnik, 31 October 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#14 DeerSpotter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostKaputnik, on 31 October 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

Thank you Posted Image

Partly confirmed

First i dont know for shure if it is reloaded EVERY time you restart the game regulary but it is correct that if there arent any shading files they are created every time on start. Thats why this particular workaround does absolutely no damage or harm to any important processes/files. It is just like deleting your history in your browser.

Secondly i believe the files are not being deletet whilst actual playing because the game is using some of them thus blocking deletion. They only might be renewed, updated or created (if they are not existing yet) while you are in the Loading screen or whilst playing.

The problem with the corrupted shading is it occurs completely random. Sadly there is no fix at the moment. I think a true fix might be either not creating shadin cache files wich might result in low performance on weak hardware or to find the problem wich is resulting in coruption and fixing it (witch i think they are trying or atleast should be) and yes it is totally annoying to just get your mech scrapped without fighting back.

easy fix, http://mwomercs.com/...ability-issues/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users