Do we need ingame VOIP? A poll...

127 replies to this topic

Poll: Do we need ingame VOIP? A poll... (341 member(s) have cast votes)

Do we need ingame VOIP to experience nice and tactical gameplay?

1. Yes, it would advance tactical TEAMPLAY! (142 votes [41.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.64%

2. No, I wanna play for my own/with my friends on VENT/TS/MUMBLE only! (52 votes [15.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.25%

3. I've got nothing against it, as long as I can mute it... (138 votes [40.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.47%

4. Don't really know.... (9 votes [2.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Shredhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

As mentioned in the other thread, we really need a poll about it...

#2 wwiiogre

• 1,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

me first,

chris

#3 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

I voted "no", because it's too easy to circumvent with other VOIPs. There's just no reason for them to include one.

#4 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

Unless it does more than any of the other 3rd party apps currently available, its a waste of Dev effort to reproduce other people's work less effectively.

#5 FallguySoldier

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

I was about to pick the first option, then I realized the third one was best. Yes, a mute button should definitely be put in place.

#6 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Nope...

There are host of well established VoIP applications that do not require PGI to license and or write their own VoIP code.

#7 Grithis

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationStuarts Draft, Va

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

Yes. While there are plenty of 3rd party alternatives, they're best for the organized units. Puggers like me with few or no friends need an alternative. Most people in Teamspeak, Ventrillo, Mumble, etc.... aren't going to be bothered to give you the info you need to talk to them, IF they don't boot you outright! That along with the fact that not everyone can type 100 words a minute. And am I the last person in the world that doesn't text?

Oh god I just painted a target on my forehead......

#8 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

Voted option 3. We (Clan *Rush*) have a own Teamspeak 3-server, so we don't rely on it.

#9 Duncan Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 56 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

The only people who will communicate effectively with you are your own true teammates... so what's the point... also... spam... and one twelve year old... see Call of Duty for "free" communication

#10 Rnadmo

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

The question in my mind is, am I only going to be playing alongside my friends/merc corp or I am going to occasionally jump in a random game?

When playing with my friends, we will use Mumble. When jumping in a random game, without in-game chat there will be no ability to communicate with each other.

#11 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostDuncan Carlyle, on 05 April 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

The only people who will communicate effectively with you are your own true teammates... so what's the point... also... spam... and one twelve year old... see Call of Duty for "free" communication

I read this argument very often, but there are solutions/this point doesn't really fit here. Ingame VOIP can be restricted for lances/lancecommander/commander only, so it'd be quite easy to mute the kiddy or even kick it out of the lance.

#12 nano

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBeavercreek, OH

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

I don't know who I will be dropping with, but I sure as hell want to be able to communicate with the members of my team, whoever they are. It should work just like an Xbox Live game, like Call of Duty.

Edited by nano, 05 April 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#13 Volthorne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

View PostGrithis, on 05 April 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

And am I the last person in the world that doesn't text?

Nope. I don't own a cell phone (due to financial reasons) nor do I plan to text every 5 seconds when I finally CAN afford one.

#14 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

The redeeming value of VOIP is the random matchmaker groups, if you really want to chat I guess. You can have it.

Otherwise, a waste. If you're casual, you don't care about it, if you're hardcore you already have a TS setup, and if you're in the middle you're a minority. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm not against it, I just don't want the team to spend any time on it for the 100 of you that will use it.

What I dont' want to see is:

Player A: Join VOIP Bro!
Player B: Nah
Player A: What you don't care or want us to win, etc?
Player B: No Mic. No sound.
Player A: /Vote Kick Player B

Edited by Technoviking, 05 April 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#15 LackofCertainty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

For me personally, I am going to be playing MWO with a group of friends. We use skype. In every other fps/tactical combat game I've played, when I'm playing solo I don't use their in-game voip's anyway. Waste of time and resources for the devs, imo.

#16 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

I think its pretty much required for a team based game. Not everyone has TS/Vent/Skype/Mumble, not to mention, if you do, why do you want to boot up the damn thing or set one up instead of just, you know, using the in-game chat that works just as well?

I hated having to get on Skype to play League of Legends. I love being able to just hook up a mic and go with Dota 2.

#17 SlagMaster

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 41 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

I think it would be cool if it actially added to the realism...ie, lost comms when damage can affect a system(s) use... Lost comms when in battle...

#18 LackofCertainty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostVolthorne, on 05 April 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

Nope. I don't own a cell phone (due to financial reasons) nor do I plan to text every 5 seconds when I finally CAN afford one.

I also don't rock a cell phone, mainly because I don't like the idea of being accessible wherever I am. I hate that I may be forced to get one, with the way things are going.

"Want to recover you [insert X] account? How about you give us your cell # and we'll text you."
-"I don't have a cell phone."
"Okay, then how about you crawl back into the sewers and stop pretending to be people."

^ this is what I felt like the last time I tried to recover an account. Actually Gmail is the only exception to it really. They have a "call a landline" option for recover, which I appreciate greatly.

#19 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

I don't really think that it is necessary. Probably 95% of the people you play with will say "I don't have a mic" anyway.

#20 Sir Ollie

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

This is a TEAM game, and its going to be RANDOM teams for the most part from the way it sounds. So yes they should have in game VOIP, If not they may as well make the game a free for all game. Why have teams if you can only communicate with your friends, IF they are playing, IF they are in the same match as you. Sure you've got a few Children who will be mouthy and rude, you can Mute them. I am sure 90% of the people playing will actually WANT to communicate and be productive team mates. Not to mention ROLE warfare, someone should be the Commander, Its rather hard to give worthwhile commands if you cant talk to your Subordinates. / Lance Leaders.

I really hope they do put in Ingame VOIP, it would really hurt the game if they don't.
Just my 2 cents.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users