Unable to Run from non admin account

7 replies to this topic

#1 DeamonEngineer

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Ok there is a problem with the bootlegger launcher where it will not launch from a non admin account on windows 7, anyone else have this problem or found solution to this

wasnt sure where to put this so i put it here

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Have you right clicked on the shortcut, properties, compatibility tab, set to Admin privileges then launched the game?

Just to be clear, the game needs admin permission to run, afaik.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 01 November 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#3 DeamonEngineer

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 01 November 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

Have you right clicked on the shortcut, properties, compatibility tab, set to Admin privileges then launched the game?

Just to be clear, the game needs admin permission to run, afaik.

i have set all of the mechwarrior files to have all access and it still doesnt work

#4 DrSheldonCooper

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostDeamonEngineer, on 01 November 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

i have set all of the mechwarrior files to have all access and it still doesnt work

It seems that application manifest (in each MWO exe file, four of them in Bin32 folder) demands highest privileges to run (Administrator group). This is generally considered as undesired behavior for any kind of non-system app.

I am currently running the game as a standard user with compatibility shims applied to all four exe files that force the game to run with current users running privileges (standard user).

Patching the game also requires modify rights on all MWO files.

As of now I am not experiencing any problems with the game running as standard user in this manner.

#5 Dahmer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationEast Coast - USA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

View PostDrSheldonCooper, on 07 December 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

It seems that application manifest (in each MWO exe file, four of them in Bin32 folder) demands highest privileges to run (Administrator group). This is generally considered as undesired behavior for any kind of non-system app.

I am currently running the game as a standard user with compatibility shims applied to all four exe files that force the game to run with current users running privileges (standard user).

Patching the game also requires modify rights on all MWO files.

As of now I am not experiencing any problems with the game running as standard user in this manner.

Doc, can you explain this a little more please? It bothers me the game runs with admin privs. I'm assuming you mean the 4 apps in bin32?

#6 DrSheldonCooper

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

View PostDahmer, on 08 December 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

Doc, can you explain this a little more please? It bothers me the game runs with admin privs. I'm assuming you mean the 4 apps in bin32?

All Windows OS versions contain so called "Application Compatibility Infrastructure". Any Windows version contains thousands of fixes for various legacy apps that help in running "old" apps in newer versions of Windows.

http://technet.micro...4(v=ws.10).aspx

Any user can create compatibility fixes for any installed app using MS Compatibility Administrator (part of Microsoft Application Compatibility kit)

I created a "fix" using above tool that targets MWOs four exe files and forces them to use RunAsInvoker fix.

http://technet.micro...9(v=ws.10).aspx

Complete procedure is described here :

http://www.ghacks.ne...bility-toolkit/

For MWO it's also needed to give any user (or group) modify rights on filesystem itself for game folder and patch folder.

I uploaded my fix (SDB file) here :

https://docs.google....1p0VEpoX28/edit

It can be installed with sdbinst <filename> and uninstalled with sdbinst -u <filename>.

Anyone can open this file in above mentioned tool to view it's definition.

In short it targets the four .exe files in MWO Bin32 folder named MechWarriorOnline.exe, BootstrapSentinel.exe, MWOClient.exe, MWOPatcher.exe and applies RunAsInvoker fix to each of them forcing them to run with any rights that currently logged on user has.

I have been running MWO (and some other games) in this manner for some time with no problems. But as always your mileage may vary.

#7 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

DrSheldonCooper

Are you also a Doc in Windows-Administrationing?

Worked like silk !

Thanks

#8 DrSheldonCooper

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

My day job is engineer and administrator of Microsoft based systems :D

Glad it helped.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users