How do you use CASEs?

36 replies to this topic

#1 EphemeralXT

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

New player here.

I did a forum search and a google search but ready information is..lacking.

Do I have to mount items inside the CASE somehow? Does it matter where it gets mounted? Does ammo/weaponry have to be mounted in the same component (e.g. right torso) as the CASE to be "protected"? Do you only need one? Do I "need" one if only for AMS/SRM ammo? What circumstances do you "need" a CASE?

Edited by EphemeralXT, 03 November 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#2 Lawler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

CASE is an acronym for Celular Ammunition Storage Equipment. The theory is that the ammo bins are stored in their own armored compartments (the cells) and the compartment is constructed so that, in the case of an ammo explosion, the detonation is contained and directed though the back of the mech instead of toward the core. In tabletop terms, it changed the damage transfer diagram from doing damage form the left or right torso and then continuing on into you center torso into just destroying the torso location with the ammo and then blowing out the back armor of the same location on the mech. Excess damage was then lost making ammo explosions bearable. It functions fundamentally the same in MWO. Keep in mind that CASE is still viable even in mechs with XL engines from a repair standpoint despite 3 engine critical slots destroyed finishing off your mech. Without CASE, an ammo explosion would wipe out that torso, and then damage everything in your center torso making for a much larger repair bill. It is also to be noted that CASE cannot be used in limb locations on inner sphere mechs, but clan mechs are all considered to have CASE in every hit location at no cost in space or tonnage.

Edited by Lawler, 03 November 2012 - 10:51 PM.

#3 lsp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

Just put the case and ammo in the same mech part. I never use em.

It's to prevent forest fires.

Edited by lsp, 03 November 2012 - 10:50 PM.

#4 Kaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

C.A.S.E. prevents ammo explosions from spreading damage into adjacent locations.

It can only be mounted in the torsos, and the ammunition it guards against explosion spreading must be placed in the same location as the C.A.S.E.

Consider it an ammunition storage system. As such, only one is needed in each torso you want to keep ammunition in.

If you're using an XL engine, it is pointless to mount C.A.S.E, as the XL takes up 3 crits in each side torso, and the engine only needs 3 critical hits to be destroyed (cored). If the ammunition explodes in one location, it takes out everything in that location.

#5 JewBoy

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

As far as I know the CASE only protects ammo in the same area of the body as the CASE. Personally I never run one, and just store the ammo in my head, center torso and legs, because if the former 2 get blown you die anyways, and the latter because people rarely try to shut down a mech with leg shots.

#6 Deedsie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 320 posts

I generally like to stuff my ammo in my legs. Almost nobody tries legging an assault mech.

#7 Lawler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 220 posts

View PostKaijin, on 03 November 2012 - 10:50 PM, said:

C.A.S.E. prevents ammo explosions from spreading damage into adjacent locations.

It can only be mounted in the torsos, and the ammunition it guards against explosion spreading must be placed in the same location as the C.A.S.E.

Consider it an ammunition storage system. As such, only one is needed in each torso you want to keep ammunition in.

If you're using an XL engine, it is pointless to mount C.A.S.E, as the XL takes up 3 crits in each side torso, and the engine only needs 3 critical hits to be destroyed (cored). If the ammunition explodes in one location, it takes out everything in that location.

From an economic standpoint, it benefits you greatly. From an "I just got blowed up" standpoint, you're right.

#8 Minsc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 463 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

Here is a GIF of some one *not using C.A.S.E.

Posted Image

If that player had been using CASE, while the ammo would have still exploded and removed his right torso, his mech would still be alive and functioning since the explosion would not spread to the rest of his mech. This picture brought to you buy someone posting it once, then found on google!

#9 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

View PostLawler, on 03 November 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

In tabletop terms, it changed the damage transfer diagram from doing damage form the left or right torso and then continuing on into you center torso into just destroying the torso location with the ammo and then blowing out the back armor of the same location on the mech. Excess damage was then lost making ammo explosions bearable. It functions fundamentally the same in MWO. Keep in mind that CASE is still viable even in mechs with XL engines from a repair standpoint. Without CASE, an ammo explosion would wipe out that torso, and then damage everything in your center torso making for a inch larger repair bill.

This is incorrect. MWO is not a direct transfer from TT rules. C.A.S.E in MWO only prevents spreading to adjacent locations. It is useless with XL engines in MWO.

#10 Minsc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 463 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

View PostDeedsie, on 03 November 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

I generally like to stuff my ammo in my legs. Almost nobody tries legging an assault mech.

'cept for crazies like me trying for higher salvage at the end of match. I keep totally ammo explode killing SRM cats by blowing their legs off. Seven of them today alone :P

Edited by Minsc, 03 November 2012 - 10:55 PM.

#11 Deedsie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 320 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

If that player had been using CASE, while the ammo would have still exploded and removed his right torso, his mech would still be alive and functioning since the explosion would not spread to the rest of his mech. This picture brought to you buy someone posting it once, then found on google!

I did that to an enemy Atlas once, except he DID have a Case. Didn't save him from my autocannon and SRMs finishing the job, though.

#12 Minsc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 463 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

View PostDeedsie, on 03 November 2012 - 10:55 PM, said:

I did that to an enemy Atlas once, except he DID have a Case. Didn't save him from my autocannon and SRMs finishing the job, though.

yea, but zombie-ing it up can either buy time, distraction, or in many cases complete survival. I can't tell you how many times my ammo explodes, I lose half my mech, and the other guy bites the dust and I can limp away to annoy someone in my now 2 medium laser atlas since both my side torso are missing.

#13 EternalCore

• 2,195 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

@OP: Everything you need to know about MWO & BattleTech for parts, mechs, etc; is on this wiki site: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page
Just search on there for what you want info on, And Enjoy the game!

Edited by EternalCore, 03 November 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#14 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

Just think

"Warning: Internal ammo explosion, detected"

God I can't wait for the Betty voice overs in our mechs!

#15 Lawler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

View PostKaijin, on 03 November 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

This is incorrect. MWO is not a direct transfer from TT rules. C.A.S.E in MWO only prevents spreading to adjacent locations. It is useless with XL engines in MWO.

I'll simplify what I said in my post for you. CASE prevents DAMAGE TRANSFER. Damage only transfers to adjacent locations and stops when damage equals (shots remaining x damage per shot). While I haven't seen an ammo explosion in a leg yet, the functionality of the mechanic is evident in a previous posters video link. The ammo explodes, tossing the (intact) arm off the mech and then cores the mech with the remaining damage transfer. If the mech had CASE, it still would have lost the arm, but the arm would have taken no more damage than it had before loosing the torso and any damage in excess of that needed to completely destroy that torso location, would have blown out the back armor on the mech and, after that, been lost. I use CASE and can attest to you that it works this way.

Furthermore, it is NOT useless with XL engines because if the damage doesn't transfer to your center torso, it can't damage more engine slots nor can it damage a gyro. Unless they've changed repairs significantly in the past couple weeks, the more slots that are damaged, the more expensive it is. And 3 engine slots to repair is MUCH cheaper than 9 slots plus gyro plus whatever equipment you had stuffed in your belly.

Edited by Lawler, 03 November 2012 - 11:26 PM.

#16 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

So anyway, to sum up just use a CASE in your left or right torso to store your ammo unless you're incredibly hard pressed for tonnage or criticals. Believe me, I love getting ammo explosions and free kills on 'mechs but people should at least have the right to know what kinds of benefits they are forgoing if they don't want to use them.

P.S. regarding XL's, an ammo explosion can trigger before the engine in your R/L torso is destroyed, meaning you can potentially die much faster. CASE also protects you from Gauss Rifle explosions, too. Gauss ammo, however is inert and does not require a case since its non-explosive.

Edited by mwhighlander, 03 November 2012 - 11:32 PM.

#17 p00k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

View PostJewBoy, on 03 November 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

and just store the ammo in my head, center torso and legs, because if the former 2 get blown you die anyways, and the latter because people rarely try to shut down a mech with leg shots.

legs, sure

head/center torso? oh god no

to kill you with a headshot someone has to do 33 damage. if they hit your head and crit your ammo, they can kill you with a lot less than 33 damage

likewise, to kill you by hitting CT they have to do, depending on the mech, a lot of damage. if they crit your ammo in the ct, they can kill you with much much less

i avoid ammo in head/ct if at all possible

#18 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:12 AM

View PostLawler, on 03 November 2012 - 11:21 PM, said:

Furthermore, it is NOT useless with XL engines because if the damage doesn't transfer to your center torso, it can't damage more engine slots nor can it damage a gyro. Unless they've changed repairs significantly in the past couple weeks, the more slots that are damaged, the more expensive it is. And 3 engine slots to repair is MUCH cheaper than 9 slots plus gyro plus whatever equipment you had stuffed in your belly.

I'll simplify my post for you. 3 engine crits kill a mech. As both side torsos each contain 3 engine critital locations with an XL engine, C.A.S.E. will not save your mech from ceasing to function if you get a torso ammo explosion in a match. All it will do is lower your repair bill.

Edit: I don't use C.A.S.E. with XL engines. My mechs get killed some, but nevertheless, I've managed to buy a Catapult, 2 Commandos, a 300XL and a 195XL, all manner of lasers and missiles, and I've got 16mil in the bank. I suppose if your bank balance matters more to you than the extra heat sink or ton of ammo that may prove the difference between victory and loss, then C.A.S.E. may be for you.

Edited by Kaijin, 04 November 2012 - 03:30 AM.

#19 EphemeralXT

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies ;)

#20 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

Furthermore, it is NOT useless with XL engines because if the damage doesn't transfer to your center torso, it can't damage more engine slots nor can it damage a gyro.

Case wont save you from dying with an XL engine though. All it will do is save you some cbils on repairs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users