Claiming of Clans and IS Units

805 replies to this topic

#1 Torrix

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLeopard Class Dropship [NAME REDACTED]

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

I just read the thread where the OP is calling himself the Khan of Smoke Jaguar and wanted to "call out" the Khan of Wolf for "a" Kerensky bloodname. Thanks to a couple of extremely knowledgeable posters (they had me scrambling for both my source books and novels) that non-idea was safely shot down.

What I want to know (the above mentioned thread being the catalyst for me to post) is how are people supposedly "laying claim" to clans and even other IS houses and units? I've not seen anything official about this actually being allowed yet, especially where the clans are concerned because thus far the only pseudo-confirmation we've yet received that they will even be in the game is a "wink" in the FAQ.

I'm quite sure I can throw out old stats from past leagues which are every bit as legit as anyone elses (Ice Hellion Star Commander in Grand Council in MW2 and MW2 Mercs, saKhan and then Khan (and co-founder) of Wolf Clan in original NBT in MW2 Mercs era, Lieutenant in Wolf's Dragoons in a league whose name I can't even remember, and XO of Excalibur RCT (merc unit) ten years later in the NBT again in MW4 Mercs), A lot of us have a lot of experience "back in the day" of the Mechwarrior heyday in the mid to late 90s, as well as table top and reading every source book and novel etc, and that is all a very good thing. Heck, I was still in the infantry in Germany when I first played Crescent Hawks Inception and the original Mechwarrior (1) in 1989.

So just how will Piranha be handling this? <_<

At any rate, I'm thinking there will be far too many of us to be able to just "lay claim" to any given unit. It will be a serious and contentious thing that I'm hoping Piranha will come up with as fair a way as possible for this to happen.

(That's not even beginning to cover the time when/if the Clans are actually announced and 75% of IS units get abandoned in the mad rush to claim clans)

Edited by Torrix, 23 April 2012 - 10:32 AM.

#2 Trevnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,085 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSkjaldborg HQ, Rasalhague, Rasalhague Province[Canada]

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

Well, seeing how there are 86,000 + members on the forums as it stands today, you are correct in saying that no one should be able to lay claim to any IS or Clan unit. I'm pretty sure, but not 100% that PGI will just start everything fresh. Sure, while there would be the old hands that have had the experience, they'll likely have to re-earn those titles and positions while playing MW:O.

For the IS units, the devs have already stated that some will be unaccessible to players, and one can assume this applies to some Clan units as well. To be honest, starting from scratch would be the most fair way of handling this issue IMHO.

#3 Tronchaser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Tagged for interest.. I too wonder how this will be handled, but from a slightly different persepective. What if I want to associate myself with...say GDL, but do not want to be in the actual GDL that is forming here? I don't wanna put myself as Private Tronchaser because some knucklehead "claimed" the GDL name first.

Am I going to be able to wear the patch, if they are available, or am I going to actually have to JOIN GDL to wear their colors/patch?

*For the record, I have no knowledge of GDL, or their leadership. It's just what popped into my mind*

#4 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for saying what needed to be said.

The unit I'm a part of is somewhat guilty of what you are saying, but the Rangers are obscure enough in canon that we think we are safe. That being said, we have contingencies in place if we are banned from using that name.

The Clans are a different story (see the Clan Wolf-in-Exile) thread for an example of what you are describing. At the very least it all provides a large amount of entertainment....

I'm really hoping the devs just come out and tell us what units are banned so that people can at least prepare beforehand, instead of being bushwhacked on launch day.

Probably the best example of this are the 87,000 Wolf Dragoon Units currently registered. Alot of their effort and work is going to be wasted if they devs come out and are like "NO you can't use anything relating to the Dragoons." one day before launch.

Edited by Listless Nomad, 23 April 2012 - 10:50 AM.

#5 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

I am pretty sure they will not allow people to just proclaim ownership over an important faction. <_<

#6 Lio Lio

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 51 posts
  • LocationNewport News Virginia

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

*waves Dao* I lay claim as leader and only member of Warrior House Lio

#7 swamp hag

• WC 2017 Participant
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

It has long been a tradition in MechWarrior gaming that the leaders of Clan units call themselves Khan, even if there are 5 of the same Clan floating around. It doesn't mean that exclusive claim has been laid on the team, it is merely an easily understood rank structure. I think a little too much fuss is being made over "claim" of factions, and not enough people are realizing that teams are nothing more than internet gaming teams who have named themselves after a faction.

#8 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

View PostGlory, on 23 April 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

It has long been a tradition in MechWarrior gaming that the leaders of Clan units call themselves Khan, even if there are 5 of the same Clan floating around. It doesn't mean that exclusive claim has been laid on the team, it is merely an easily understood rank structure. I think a little too much fuss is being made over "claim" of factions, and not enough people are realizing that teams are nothing more than internet gaming teams who have named themselves after a faction.

The problem comes in when Roleplay starts occurring. You witnessed this with Ignotus.

#9 Gigaton

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • LocationDieron District Gymnasium, learning to pilot 'Mechs until July

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

I call dibs on ComStar.

Ha ha, take that Paul.

#10 Morr

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 67 posts
  • LocationDon't know yet. I'll tell when i find out.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

Personally I'm of the mind that people who take the Names like Phelen Kell, Of Victor Davion are making huge mistakes. I mean yeah those names are important to the game universe and are just names, But it makes running the game which are based around those people really difficult, I Mean the people who have those Pilot names are not the characters no matter how hard they try.

It is the most selfish thing some one can do After making a Clan and Calling it some thing like "Clan Ghost Bear" or Clan "Clan Wolf". Those are in the game peoples!!! those clans are not just you and your guildies!!!

Though that being said if it's a not a Clan or Faction not being used, Then it makes more sense for a Player made clan to fill that void. Such as some one making an Outworld Alliance Clan.

Edited by Morr, 23 April 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#11 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostGigaton, on 23 April 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

I call dibs on ComStar.

Ha ha, take that Paul.

Don't invite the wrath of the Paul.

Just look at what happened to [*REDACTED*]

Edited by Listless Nomad, 23 April 2012 - 11:01 AM.

#12 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostListless Nomad, on 23 April 2012 - 10:57 AM, said:

The problem comes in when Roleplay starts occurring. You witnessed this with Ignotus.

Ban role playing then, problem solved.

The devs have already stated that this won't be a MMO RPG

#13 Cruiser

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

Pfff. Only weaklings lay claim to names.

I will have you all whisper the name "Cruiser" with hushed voices and cold-sweat within weeks of the beta starting. And I will do so the hard way.

#14 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

View Post}{avoc, on 23 April 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

Ban role playing then, problem solved.

The devs have already stated that this won't be a MMO RPG

Lol - that would go over real well. Mechwarrior fans love to role play, and it provides a lot of the flavor of this forum. Besides - it would be impossible to enforce.

"You there! Stop that roleplay!"

Edited by Listless Nomad, 23 April 2012 - 11:06 AM.

#15 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

For Clans, get out the Circle of Equals, the Trials, and get testing, tubies.

For Inner Sphere, and I assume this will be the same with the Clans, NO ONE is in charge of the House. For Mercenary Units, I don't know how this will be handled for Canon units. My unit, fortunately, is Fanon and, despite all of the work I've put into hundreds and hundreds of pages of records and history for my unit, thousands of man-hours and dollars, until I self-publish -and I'm clueless as to WHEN THAT will be- my records will not see the light of day. It's pretty ignorant to ignore all my hard work like that, all the years I've dedicated, but that's alright, I know where I'm at, and the rest of what the others do is just greed. So, my unit, MY UNIT, is safe, it's mine.

#16 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostListless Nomad, on 23 April 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

Lol - that would go over real well. Mechwarrior fans love to role play, and it provides a lot of the flavor of this forum. Besides - it would be impossible to enforce.

"You there! Stop that roleplay!"

All RP posts could be [REDACTED].

Would give something for Paul to do once the game is released anyway.

#17 Gigaton

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • LocationDieron District Gymnasium, learning to pilot 'Mechs until July

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

But to be serious, do we even know that we can actually make player driven "guilds" within house armies? Merc Corps for sure, since those are intended to be player driven (though I wouldn't be suprised "Wolf's Dragoons" "Grey Death Legion" and so on will be disallowed).

#18 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Well various polls over the past months have more made it seem that maybe 1/4-1/3 of the population may switch to Clans. A lot of players seem very content with salvage or such.

But I also agree, Clans, Houses and such should not be a 'player faction' a unit within said group is fine. IE my Ghost Bears are the 304th Assault Cluster in Beta Galaxy.

I do not think the IS population has much to worry about.

#19 Listless Nomad

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

View Post}{avoc, on 23 April 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

All RP posts could be [REDACTED].

Would give something for Paul to do once the game is released anyway.

Well that would make this forum pretty dry and boring.

View PostGigaton, on 23 April 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

But to be serious, do we even know that we can actually make player driven "guilds" within house armies? Merc Corps for sure, since those are intended to be player driven (though I wouldn't be suprised "Wolf's Dragoons" "Grey Death Legion" and so on will be disallowed).

We know they AREN'T allowed actually. As of right now, merc corps are the only player driven guilds allowed. There are plans to implement that functionality post launch, but until we hear different - there are no player run anythings related to houses.

Edited by Listless Nomad, 23 April 2012 - 11:12 AM.

#20 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

View PostKay Wolf, on 23 April 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

So, my unit, MY UNIT, is safe, it's mine.

No, its mine!

Weee!

But seriously, I think some of these factions around here (and by some I mean a metric crap ton) are going to be disappointed when the game comes out and they can't enter their faction name. It seems to me a really scary amount of folks ignored the clause in the FAQs talking about how some units will be reserved.

Thankfully, I've avoided that by actually making an original unit.

Edited by Orzorn, 23 April 2012 - 11:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users