4 Fps Bug "solution"

38 replies to this topic

#1 Bartolomeo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Hi, well.. alot of us have experience the 4 fps bug (not really 4... but a real fps drop, that make the game unplayable)

not a real solution, but at least make your game playable again, is just alt+tab to another screen and then comeback, at least for my this have work as temporari solution (you have to make that in every game till you restart the launcher), my fps get to normal again, and you can play a last game before restarting the game.

only that

#2 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

never worked for me... so i´d say, lucky you ;)

#3 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

View PostBartolomeo, on 13 November 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

Hi, well.. alot of us have experience the 4 fps bug (not really 4... but a real fps drop, that make the game unplayable)

not a real solution, but at least make your game playable again, is just alt+tab to another screen and then comeback, at least for my this have work as temporari solution (you have to make that in every game till you restart the launcher), my fps get to normal again, and you can play a last game before restarting the game.

only that

Ok, guys, if you're getting HORRIBLE FPS drops... one of the easiest things you can do is play at a lower resolution.

Believe it or not the game runs GREAT at 720p and actually functions.

Also put alot of the custom graphics options to Medium, then adjust as needed.

Also if you're on an Nvidia card, go into your nvidia control panel and toggle everything to the following for Mechwarrior: Online

Ambient Occlusion: Off [or preformance if you have a decent card I have a gtx 560m]
Anistropic filtering: off
Antialiasing-gamma correction: off
Antialiasing-mode: Application Controlled.
Antialiasing- transparency: off
CUDA- GPUs: All
Maximum pre-rendered frames: use the 3d application setting
multi-display/mixed-gpu acceleration: Single Display Preformance mode.
Power Management mode: Prefer Maximum Preformance
Texture Filtering - Anistropic sample optimization: off
Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias: Allow
Texture Filtering- quality: High Preformance
Texture Filtering - Trilnear Optimization: On
Threaded Optimization: On
Tripple buffering: Off
Texture Filtering Anistropic Filter Optimization- off
Vertical Sync- off.

AMD chipsets do similar for your Catalyst settings.

This SHOULD help, but is not guarenteed.

#4 BlightFang

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

I think hitting alt-enter and playing windowed helps as a temporary solution til the end of the game.

#5 Lin Shai

• 2,401 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

@Jade -

I get that you're trying to help but honestly unless you have some ancient dinosaur of a machine, I'd hate to have to play a game with those settings.

I occasionally get the "Slideshow if you look toward the other mechs" bug. I have a rig that includes a GTX670 and is running 1920x1200 high detail at over 60FPS at all other times. Telling me to do the things you describe is just silly.

Just alt-f4, restart the client, and be done with it.

Edited by Lin Shai, 13 November 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#6 uebersoldat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Alt-Tabbing never worked for me. A client restart does the trick every time. I think it's some kind of memory leak. After so many games you just drop below 4 or 5 fps and have to stand with your back to the battlefield and basecamp. (that's what I do) The thing is it doesn't progressively get worse and worse, just one match you are fine, next match BAM get up and grab a cup of coffee between frames.

Anytime I look upon the field of battle CHOP CHOP CHOP, looking back to the edge smooths out. Restart the client after the match and everything is silky smooth again.

Edited by uebersoldat, 13 November 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#7 Bartolomeo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

View PostJade Kitsune, on 13 November 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

Ok, guys, if you're getting HORRIBLE FPS drops... one of the easiest things you can do is play at a lower resolution.

is a bug that makes your normal fps (60-30) drop below 10 and stay there till you restart the game...no a real problem with my game configuration

Edited by Bartolomeo, 13 November 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#8 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

The solutions being presented (and my personal experience with this issue) point to a buffer overflow. Anything that flushes your gpu's RAM should do the trick. With some cards, that means just changing focus to another window (Alt+Tab). With others, you need to restart the client.

In general, playing the game with lower resolution textures will help to alleviate the problem or (depending on the card) solve it entirely.

#9 Bartolomeo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostLin Shai, on 13 November 2012 - 03:27 PM, said:

@Jade -

I get that you're trying to help but honestly unless you have some ancient dinosaur of a machine, I'd hate to have to play a game with those settings.

I occasionally get the "Slideshow if you look toward the other mechs" bug. I have a rig that includes a GTX670 and is running 1920x1200 high detail at over 60FPS at all other times. Telling me to do the things you describe is just silly.

Just alt-f4, restart the client, and be done with it.

well.. I give that solution, so you don´t have to leave a fight at the begining leaving your team with minus 1 player.. so you could restart when the fight ends or you are dead
but as i can read...it seems like the solution only work for me xDD

Edited by Bartolomeo, 13 November 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#10 Zphyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 703 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

Not, it does not work for me either. Need to restart client.

I usually just warn my team - most of them understand the problem and won't insult you for not doing much - and stay to guard the base, since it's nearly impossible to fight. Another path I take is to ninja-cap the other team. While little, it's still helping the team.

#11 TheRuslan

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationEstonia

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

My suggestion to PGI. Write in game code, that after evry combat, client restarts automatically and logs in mechlab. So its like u restart client after every game. I think it will solve alot of memoryleak problems. It takes some time to reload, but less crashes and more fun.

Hope that is helpful ;)

#12 Cleverbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFeel Good Inc.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Out of curiosity, has anybody ever noticed that if you look away from the map, i.e turning around 180 degrees at spawn, your fps turns back to normal?

#13 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

We're referring to the occasional bug where your FPS is uncharacteristically much lower. It persists every game until the launcher is restarted.

View PostCleverbird, on 16 November 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

Out of curiosity, has anybody ever noticed that if you look away from the map, i.e turning around 180 degrees at spawn, your fps turns back to normal?

The FPS drop occurs whenever you look at other mechs, even if they're hidden behind something.

#14 Enigmos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

alt & tabbing back into the client can make your mech fire an alpha.

Be advised: doing so when behind a teammate is... frowned upon. Hard to adequately explain as well. Expect at best some ribbing. Or de-ribbing.

#15 Dagger6T6

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

for me alt tabbing does not make the 4ps bug go away

i'm already playing at the lowest resolution... this 4fps bug shows up after about 5 matches...

when the match launches and you are viewing fps via F9 you can see you framerate as it loads up,,, typically starts at 20 then climbs to 30-50 and you can play normally... when you get the 4fps bug your match loads up and as soon as it begins to load fps is at 4 and it stays locked there... sometimes turning your mech a different direction will increase the framerate number, but it will still return to 4fp if you try to play normally

general consensus is that the 4fps bug is due to vram memory leaks, hence needing to restart the client after 5 matches

Edited by Dagger6T6, 16 November 2012 - 09:14 AM.

#16 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

View PostOriginalTibs, on 16 November 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

alt & tabbing back into the client can make your mech fire an alpha.

Be advised: doing so when behind a teammate is... frowned upon. Hard to adequately explain as well. Expect at best some ribbing. Or de-ribbing.

This is avoided if you alt+tab back and don't click back.

#17 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

This doesn't solve the problem. The 4 FPS bug is a memory leak on the GPU RAM -- i.e. videocard.

How do I know this? Because I proved it to PGI. I used to have 2x 260 GTX's w/896 MB of RAM on them. Only one of the card's RAM counts. I then upgraded to a 670 GTX w/ 2 GB of RAM.

Guess what happened?

The stutters and pops went away completely from disk access and ultimately... the 4 FPS bug now takes hours to develop versus 30 minutes to an hour.

It has nothing to do with system RAM and graphical settings might prolong it but they aren't the source. PGI is not doing something properly with the video ram which ultimately strangles the GPU.

#18 naidmer

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

It occures to me every 7-10 games i guess. Nothing helps but restarting the client and it is completely unplayable. That's a lot of matches letting your team mates down ;)

Another strange bug for me is the client shutting down without any warning. I just get a black screen for 2 seconds and then the game is gone. The last few times this happened were exactly when I fired my gauss rifle. Dunno if it is related or just coinsidence.

#19 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

I noticed the exact opposite: When I alt + tab too much the frames get worse until eventual reboot or turn the graphics down...

I've always had to deal with lag where I live 'n super shiny computers are non existant for me.. so I'm used to it?

Edited by M4NTiC0R3X, 16 November 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#20 Dukarriope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Locationa creative suite

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

I play the game with FXAA on a mixture of high and medium and performance is mostly acceptable... apart from random half second jams and 20fps when there are 10 mechs on screen. I've only had the 4fps bug a few times (and to be precise in my case it's more like a 7fps bug) which is precisely when facing a certain portion of the map. I've also relatively few crashes and it easily takes ten games or more before I start noticing bugs like so.

But if the matter is in fact a memory leak, the fact that I have a (by standards) humongous bank of RAM (32GB) might have something to do with it.

Edited by Dukarriope, 16 November 2012 - 09:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users