Open Letter To Pgi.

6 replies to this topic

#1 nimrodusmaximus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

I haven't played MWO since the LRM hotfix debacle. Frankly, the 4 man teams are just plain annoying. I wouldn't mind a 4v4, but having 8v8 and being dependent on 4 other people that you're not really linked up just wasn't my cup of tea.

PGI, I'm a huge fan, and I thought that alot of decisions BEFORE the open beta were pretty well made. But recently it seems to me, anyways, that alot of recent decisions have been a bit of a step backwards... I think you guys are doing a great job, but I do think you all need a vacation! Seriously, take a couple weeks off, don't think about MWO at all, let the whiners whine, and come back with renewed batteries and a fresh perspective! I think you'll add more value to this projecct by taking a real vacation and coming back renewed and refreshed, than continuing on the current path...

BUT, if you want to keep pounding away, here are my suggestions for near term fixes that would get a player like me (I'm sure you have all my stats so you can figure out what type of user, if any, that I represent) back in the game and, hopefully, spending some of my disposable income:

1. gotta fix matchmaker so groups can fight against groups. make it 4v4 if you have to, but 4+4 vs. 4+4 is just not working for me. I don't care about weight divisions or crap like that, groups can figure it out for themselves; but groups need to be playing against other groups. Yeah, I know this is supposed to be fixed on Tuesday, but, yeah, I'm worried that Tuesday patch will be on par with the last few patches...
2. if you want my cash, I need to feel like the value proposition is there. Honestly, if I have to pay every time I want to repaint my mech or switch out DHS, I don't think it's worth even $0.50. I'll just use in game C Bills. IF, however, I can pay for a "bucket of paint" that I can play with over and over again, you've got $10 easily. Call it the psychology of the spender, but having to repay isn't worth it to me, but having paying a bit (or alot) more for a reusable set seems more "worth it". I won't pay for "winning ammo", but I will pay for fun items: I'm thinking paintjobs or other exterior customizations, voice packs (or the ability to customize voice packs?), or... what...? Heck, I'd pay a monthly subscription fee to "have it all" - all mechs, whatever paintjobs, etc., etc. BUT, the bottom line is I need to "perceive" (however real or not) value. I've thrown a decent hunk of change on this game and on hardware for this game, and would like to spend more money, but I'm not going to give it away to you for what I perceive to be a rip off. Heck, get someone to write a Mechlab App for my Ipad/IPhone, and charge me $10 so I can do play with designs, save them, and upload them.
3. honestly, new content is on the bottom of my list. I was playing this game [ALOT] of hours a week during closed beta; and would continue to do the same if you just got the stuff you have to work right. when you introduce new stuff and just end up breaking old stuff, all that happens is that I get annoyed and decide to just wait until you get your old and new stuff sorted out (my current status). New stuff now just means, "geez, I guess I'll d/l the patch just to see what's up, but I'm pretty sure something's going to be messed up". You've got too much already broken to worry about new stuff that's going to break old stuff even more and add to the stuff that needs fixing.
4. STICK TO TT RULES as much as you can. I'm here for BTech, not for "big stompy mechtech". The more you want to muck around with the core rules, the more I start looking at Hawken, Planetside 2, or, hell, I've been playing Torchlight 2 for the past week+. If you want to leave the BT rules, then this game becomes meaningless to me, and I'll look for better developed, less buggy games to play.

Anyways, that's my $0.02. Take it for what it is.

ps, also, the more I'm playing, the less I'm on these forums bootching and whining; and that's gotta be a good thing, right?

Edited by coolname, 18 November 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#2 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

1 is already covered

2 is something taht varies from person to person

3 as a young f2p game they have to constantly add content. The game will never be bug free, nor content complete

4 there was a great dev post on why you cannot stick to TT rules when this game is not turn based. Turn based rules do not work in a real time environment.

#3 CrazyCatDaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

As long as an open letter is not from someone important, i wont read it. Sorry but the opinion of avarage joe is simply not important. If my opinion would be important, than i would write a open letter to pgi to ban all those losers that are constantly whining.

Write your own mechwarrior game if you can make it better.

ah and btw: tl ; dr

#4 Keifomofutu

• 2,547 posts
  • LocationLloydminster

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Open letter to PGI. Don't stick to BT rules like it's some kind of religion in cases where it leads to lack of balance or fun. Example UAC5 jamming.(not that the current implementation is anything to write home about lol).

#5 The Warnock

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationThe Scrap Pile

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

View PostNoth, on 18 November 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

3 as a young f2p game they have to constantly add content. The game will never be bug free, nor content complete

Okay, I haven't been here long, so take this with a grain of salt.

The biggest gripe about existing bugs I've seen has been about the netcode that handles how users connect. That's not some thing little, that's part of the core game mechanics. Not fixing that is a big problem, and apparently this has been put off for a while, and I think that lead to the whole 3PV debacle.

It's software development 101, Fix the bugs before adding new features. A F2P needs a solid base to work on or else adding new content when bugs exist is going to frustrate players and cause them to leave.

#6 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

View PostThe Warnock, on 18 November 2012 - 07:15 PM, said:

Okay, I haven't been here long, so take this with a grain of salt.

The biggest gripe about existing bugs I've seen has been about the netcode that handles how users connect. That's not some thing little, that's part of the core game mechanics. Not fixing that is a big problem, and apparently this has been put off for a while, and I think that lead to the whole 3PV debacle.

It's software development 101, Fix the bugs before adding new features. A F2P needs a solid base to work on or else adding new content when bugs exist is going to frustrate players and cause them to leave.

Netcode hasn't been put off. Netcode can take awhile to get right. They recently reverted a change in netcode because it was causing problems. That alone shows that they aren't putting it off.

There are games that have been out for a long time that still have dodgy netcode. Add in that they work in teams and not everyone will be versed in netcode to the point where they would be a help, they really can't just magically fix the netcode.

There are teams that work on different things and you can't always move people around to do things that need fixed since all skillsets are different. This leads to non important things often getting finished before higher priority items from the simple fact that they are easier and quicker to deal with. Stopping with content would not speed up netcode or matchmaking fixes.

#7 The Warnock

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationThe Scrap Pile

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

Doi, I should have known that. My mistake. and I should have done a little research before putting something like that in there. My apologizes to the devs, but my point about fixing bugs before adding content still stands.

Edited by The Warnock, 18 November 2012 - 08:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users