Matchmaking Phase 2 - Simple Implementable Solution To Prevent 8Vs8 Imbalance Matches

28 replies to this topic

#1 Calmon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:18 AM

We will get Matchmaking Phase 2 8v8 without restrictions:

Phase 2: December 4th - 80% (Delayed due to testing)

Pre-Made groups will be able to match against other pre-made groups.
Min/Max group size: 8 players - Updated
8 player group matchmaking will not take into consideration Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault classes.
All other forms of matchmaking will still use the current class matching rules.
2, 3, 4 player groups will be matched against other groups and solo players per Phase 1 rules.
http://mwomercs.com/...79-matchmaking/

Please PGI to stop the endless discussion (which will come) that only very few mechs will be Tier 1 in such unrestricted team ups do 2 things:

- Announce whole team max tons are 500
- Check ONLY when "Group Launch" is pressed the tons and give a message when tons > 500

This check is very very easy to implement. And nothing you couldn't do in 2 weeks (I'm developer by myself)

For sure there is still imbalance in the game (because some mechs are more effective per ton) but overall you get a far better balancing and variation.

Dec 3rd Edit: It seems PGI still think its fine to give us 8vs8 without restrictions. It seems they are fine with a bad solution instead of a better-working/easy-to-implement one until they reach the state of phase 3...

Edited by Calmon, 03 December 2012 - 07:01 AM.

#2 Dr Killinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:23 AM

Seems reasonable to me, BUT I'm not certain that it's needed. A team of Atlases will be SLOW.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:19 AM

I would like total team tonnage as a factor. not sure if 500 is the correct number, but regardless of the actual total, some sort of moderation factor should be in place.

Maybe instead of a total tonnage maximum, it just pairs your team vs an similarly weighted team. 800 tons of Atlai can fight 8 other Atlai. An all-light team can fight other all-light teams (or lighter lights and some mediums)

Edited by Redshift2k5, 22 November 2012 - 05:21 AM.

#4 Lokust Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 927 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon, Inner Sphere.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 22 November 2012 - 05:19 AM, said:

I would like total team tonnage as a factor. not sure if 500 is the correct number, but regardless of the actual total, some sort of moderation factor should be in place.

Maybe instead of a total tonnage maximum, it just pairs your team vs an similarly weighted team. 800 tons of Atlai can fight 8 other Atlai. An all-light team can fight other all-light teams (or lighter lights and some mediums)

that would be boring... and not that easy to find a similarly classed opposing team for the matchmaker. i prefer the tonnage limit around 500-800 tons.

#5 Rocdollar

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

Seems a bit of a lazy solution... Why not just be transparent about the group makeup of teams? Show on the scoreboard who is in a group and color code each.

If one side gets a 4 man group, find an opposing 4 man group and so on. It's not rocket science is it?

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:52 AM

View PostLokust Davion, on 22 November 2012 - 05:32 AM, said:

that would be boring... and not that easy to find a similarly classed opposing team for the matchmaker. i prefer the tonnage limit around 500-800 tons.

Only boring if you bring 800 tons. For anything less than that, there begins to be multiple team compositions for a given total tonnage, and the matching would not need to be exact, but merely similar.

#7 KuruptU4Fun

• 1,748 posts
  • LocationLewisville Tx.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

My solution to this if there is going to be a Tonnage per match limit.. All players are required to have ready at least 2 mechs (preferably 4) of different classes that the server will decide it needs to fill a hole to start a match. Mech XP now becomes app liable a the pilots choice. If you got dropped with a Light instead of the Heavy you wanted to play with you can apply your XP to the Heavy if that's your choice.

#8 Calmon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

View PostKuruptU4Fun, on 22 November 2012 - 06:07 AM, said:

My solution to this if there is going to be a Tonnage per match limit.. All players are required to have ready at least 2 mechs (preferably 4) of different classes that the server will decide it needs to fill a hole to start a match. Mech XP now becomes app liable a the pilots choice. If you got dropped with a Light instead of the Heavy you wanted to play with you can apply your XP to the Heavy if that's your choice.

Hehe I created a topic for this as well some time ago:

http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

Its just to complex to implement as a short therm solution. They want to bring out team battles very soon.

#9 bobthebomb

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

i proposed thing like this for ages in closed ...

So i support

Edit : a solution like this would create METAGAME....

Edited by bobthebomb, 22 November 2012 - 06:31 AM.

#10 Darth JarJar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 263 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast, U.S.A.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:40 AM

The new matchmaker is a myth.

#11 Calmon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

One for the read.

#12 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:16 AM

When the community warfare with the conquest of planets and contracts come in, the price for higher drop weight limits the gain of the units.
Also there could be contracts that need speed, or are limited by tonnage.
But overall setting a tonnage limit is only a bandaid, and should be temporarily if at all.
Our biggest problem is the less desired role of medium mechs. not enough speed and/or firepower compared to the rest to make more use of mediums.

#13 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

Well i don't know but...

In every thread about mechbalance , i see SO MANY guys bragging about how they eat atlases alive with their light mech, how they totally own atlasses with their Wang, and so on and so on. As soon as someone claims the jenner is OP, you will find 20 guys who will claim they can kill a jenner within 10 secs using their centurion.

So many ppl claiming they can kill any mech easily due to their piloting skills.

Either all those "hitdetection and lagshield doesn't matter, i'm so skilled i will own everyone in my jenner any day" guys are simply lying, OR it wont matter if a team drops with 8 atlases, because they will face 8 guys who are able to go 1on1 with a atlas no matter which mech they are using.

Edited by meteorol, 23 November 2012 - 05:10 AM.

#14 Denamian

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

IIRC, some attempt at balancing drops is coming with phase 3.

Honestly I like being able to get back to unbalanced drops where you don't know what your opponent is bringing until you find them. I miss being able to drop with a team of lights and take out a team double our weight.

I just like the idea of dropping with what you think you can win with, regardless of the opposition.

#15 Morang

• 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

Are they going to introduce 12 vs 12 some day?

#16 Apoc1138

• 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

View PostMorang, on 25 November 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

Are they going to introduce 12 vs 12 some day?

Yes.

#17 Suicidal Idiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

I'd like to see "Baby Steps" "Fun" and "Meat Grinder" servers, once things get going.

I don't like the idea of no tonnage limit on 8v8, since a solid atlas team (Steiner Scout Lance) that stuck together would pretty much stomp anything into the ground it encountered. If they all had AMS, LRM's would have no affect at all, as they can easily carry more AMS than anyone else can carry LRM's.

#18 Omegaseven

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

View PostSuicidal *****, on 25 November 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

I'd like to see "Baby Steps" "Fun" and "Meat Grinder" servers, once things get going.

It'd be hard to do meat grider without respawn of some kind and that would get stupid expensive even woithout any lost tech upgrades.

Edited by Omegaseven, 30 November 2012 - 08:44 AM.

#19 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

I support weight limits but i would do something like minimum 350 (to prevent all lights) and maximum 650 (to prevent all assaults) If you are somewhere in between you'd be fine, there's lots of freedom for different makeups and it would also cause less issues with match not found

#20 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

View PostSuicidal *****, on 25 November 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

I'd like to see "Baby Steps" "Fun" and "Meat Grinder" servers, once things get going. I don't like the idea of no tonnage limit on 8v8, since a solid atlas team (Steiner Scout Lance) that stuck together would pretty much stomp anything into the ground it encountered. If they all had AMS, LRM's would have no affect at all, as they can easily carry more AMS than anyone else can carry LRM's.

We have discussed this amongst some of the guys we play with. We generally run 2/2/2/2 or pretty close if possible to maintain balance in the group and to be able to get everyone playing no matter what they are flying. Our concern was not having enough fire power to be able to drop 8 assaults. The other side of the coin is that they are so slow, they will not be able to defend the base and cover the map without splitting their forces. At that time the more versatile lance is better. When and if the maps get bigger, Steiner lances will be even at a larger disadvantage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users