45 replies to this topic

#1 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

I realize that the -4X is the new hotness with quad autocannons, and the -3D has jump jets, but I think there is a lot of potential in the -2X despite it being the least specialized of the cataphract chassis.

My favorite role to play in nearly any BT game is the "heavy cavalry." The mech that has the movement to get where you need it to be, and the power to kill what you need to die when it gets there. Before the cataphract, I've had to make do with the HBK-4SP, which while it is a fine chassis is lacking in the armor department for my chosen role.

After seeing the player Memory running a CTF-2X build similar to this one, I decided I had to give an XL engine a try. before I used the XL, I used an AC20 in my ballistic slot, but I find its shot velocity is too slow to be able to brawl effectively so I switched to a gauss for better brawling capability (ironic, I know). There's also the fact that an AC20 won't fit in the side torso with an XL. Two SRM6 packs in the left arm give a vicious close-range punch, especially because the limited number of tubes in the launcher keeps the missiles from spreading a lot. They have a spread similar to an SRM4 pack, rather than an SRM6, and come out in two flights. A pair of medium lasers gives ammo independence, and can add pinpoint damage to supplement the shotgun effect of the SRM launchers. The final build is as follows:

CTF-2X
upgrades: endo steel, double heat sinks
engine: 340 XL
RA: medium laser
RT: gauss rifle, two tons ammo
CT two tons gauss ammo
LT: medium laser, AMS, 1 ton AMS ammo, 3 tons SRM ammo, beagle (experimenting with the BAP, can swap it out for more heat sinks)
LA: 2x SRM6

Armor: 416 points, torso armor slightly shifted to front, armor slightly shaved from arms and legs.

The gauss rifle is heat-efficient enough that you don't really need any more than the 10 base DHS.

The proof is in the pudding:

Posted Image

#2 BigJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

Lucy - I'm thinking about selling my 4X for a 2x and using a similar config, but with a few changes; Do you think you could do a "dry-fit" for me please?
(ie; recreate this loadout in the mechlab, but then hit Cancel so it reverts back to your config without buying anything)

Cataphract 2X
* Std 300 Engine
* AC20 w/3x or 4x Tonnes Ammo
* 2x SRM-6 or SRM-4 w/2x or 3x Tonnes Ammo
* 2x Med-Las
* Max Armour or as close as possible
* Endo if possible, DHS of course

I'm loving the AC20 in my 1X and 3D tbh, never used an AC20 before this mech, and heresy - I've even swapped the Gauss out of my Hunchie-H for a while I like it so much.

But I have a feeling my lovely build might not all fit on the frame, and the mechlab java app isn't really intuitive enough for me to be sure..

I'm not so keen on the 4x, Dual-Gauss seems good on paper, but on such a slow mech isn't fun, and while the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em AC2 build may be the mech de jour right now, again, it's just no fun imho so I'd flog it off in a shot if I could create the above build with a 2X.
In a 70t mech I want something that'll melt faces. ;)

Cheers! J

Edited by BigJim, 25 November 2012 - 05:36 AM.

#3 Orkimedes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:56 AM

An interesting build. I myself am still contemplating what build I want for the 2X I'm currently saving up for and, being a fan of (almost) totally unused weapons, the only thing that I've decided is putting an AC/10 in the torso. I'm not a huge fan of XLs though, especially on mechs supposed to be able to take a few hits. Where do you store your ammo, and do you frequently die to XL-related exploderitis?

#4 Volts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

I'm trying out the 2X atm (after enjoying both the 3D and 4X).

Endo & DHS with default engine
AC20 + 3T Ammo
ML x2
SSRM2 + 2T Ammo
ER PPC

Max armor, save 8 off each leg.

It has heat issues if you start using the PPC in a brawl, but generally I only use it to be relevant when closing or in a stand off. Might well end up being the variant I stick with (dakka is a little cheesy and the 3D with XL seems a little squish).

#5 Lefty Lucy

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

View PostBigJim, on 25 November 2012 - 05:34 AM, said:

Lucy - I'm thinking about selling my 4X for a 2x and using a similar config, but with a few changes; Do you think you could do a "dry-fit" for me please?
(ie; recreate this loadout in the mechlab, but then hit Cancel so it reverts back to your config without buying anything)

Cataphract 2X
* Std 300 Engine
* AC20 w/3x or 4x Tonnes Ammo
* 2x SRM-6 or SRM-4 w/2x or 3x Tonnes Ammo
* 2x Med-Las
* Max Armour or as close as possible
* Endo if possible, DHS of course

I'm loving the AC20 in my 1X and 3D tbh, never used an AC20 before this mech, and heresy - I've even swapped the Gauss out of my Hunchie-H for a while I like it so much.

But I have a feeling my lovely build might not all fit on the frame, and the mechlab java app isn't really intuitive enough for me to be sure..

I'm not so keen on the 4x, Dual-Gauss seems good on paper, but on such a slow mech isn't fun, and while the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em AC2 build may be the mech de jour right now, again, it's just no fun imho so I'd flog it off in a shot if I could create the above build with a 2X.
In a 70t mech I want something that'll melt faces. :)

Cheers! J

I think you could do the 300 standard if you used SRM4s and 2 tons of SRM ammo. It would be very close to the build I was originally running that was a 280 standard, AC20, 2x ML, 2xSRM6.

The AC20 gives a mighty wallop against stationary mechs, but the projectile velocity is too low to make it even semi-reliable against fast moving mechs, and it generates a lot more heat. With the gauss instead you really have *zero* heat issues. I know it sucks that one gun is simply superior to the other, but blame PGI for that.

#6 Diemos

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

View PostVolts, on 25 November 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

I'm trying out the 2X atm (after enjoying both the 3D and 4X).

Endo & DHS with default engine
AC20 + 3T Ammo
ML x2
SSRM2 + 2T Ammo
ER PPC

Max armor, save 8 off each leg.

It has heat issues if you start using the PPC in a brawl, but generally I only use it to be relevant when closing or in a stand off. Might well end up being the variant I stick with (dakka is a little cheesy and the 3D with XL seems a little squish).

After looking at your posts and this one above in particular, I went with a similar build.

AC/5 2Xammo
PPC in the left arm
2 Med Pulse Lasers in the torso
2 SSRM w/ 2X ammo
AMS 1X ammo
CASE

standard engine, endo steel, DHS closed my client so I can't remember the exact number

and 2 points shy of max armor.

I ran this out with the MPulse and SSRM's linked, and the PPC AC/5 linked - I had mid range punch and up close face melting

And I didn't die instantly! yay!

#7 Volts

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostDiemos, on 25 November 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

After looking at your posts and this one above in particular, I went with a similar build.

AC/5 2Xammo
PPC in the left arm
2 Med Pulse Lasers in the torso
2 SSRM w/ 2X ammo
AMS 1X ammo
CASE

standard engine, endo steel, DHS closed my client so I can't remember the exact number

and 2 points shy of max armor.

I ran this out with the MPulse and SSRM's linked, and the PPC AC/5 linked - I had mid range punch and up close face melting

And I didn't die instantly! yay!

I might give this a go.

On my build I was finding I was rarely using the erppc in close combat (except the rare alpha), so ppc would be better suited.

Also, all the complaints here regarding ac20 hold pretty true for me too, too slow to get a high hit ratio on laterally moving targets. I've had a lot of success with ac5 / uac5 on other builds, so might go for this too (which should solve all my heat issues).

#8 Diemos

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

View PostVolts, on 25 November 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

I might give this a go.

On my build I was finding I was rarely using the erppc in close combat (except the rare alpha), so ppc would be better suited.

Also, all the complaints here regarding ac20 hold pretty true for me too, too slow to get a high hit ratio on laterally moving targets. I've had a lot of success with ac5 / uac5 on other builds, so might go for this too (which should solve all my heat issues).

I find that I use the PPC/AC5 on approach, and then stick to the pulse/streak combo for the knife fight... both the ppc/ac5 have a min range of 90 meters. but you can still slap a target up to 900 meters away.

#9 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

Last night I've been using the 2X with two similar builds which have been working very well:

a - PPC, AC10, 2 MLAS, 2 SSRM2

b - AC10, 3 MPLAS, 2 SRM6-Artemis

Edited by Elyam, 26 November 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#10 Diemos

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

View PostElyam, on 26 November 2012 - 01:49 PM, said:

Last night I've been using the 2X with two similar builds which have been working very well:

a - PPC, AC10, 2 MLAS, 2 SSRM2

b - AC10, 3 MPLAS, 2 SRM6-Artemis

I still like my current build, but want to upgun to an ER PPC as soon as I can afford to.

#11 Lefty Lucy

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

View PostDiemos, on 27 November 2012 - 09:46 PM, said:

I still like my current build, but want to upgun to an ER PPC as soon as I can afford to.

The ERPPC is a trap. I would highly suggest avoiding it. The LL or LPL are better big energy weapons if that's what you're looking for.

#12 themoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 589 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

I've got a similar build... except no XL (Standard 280), no AMS, no double heat-sinks, 1 more medium laser, and a UA5 instead of Gauss. I get awesome results with it.

UA5 is a way better brawler weapon than a Gauss rifle. Double tap that **** and watch them drop. XL engine is a HUUUGE weakness for a Cataphract too, with its oversized torso and all.

I don't think I can fit DHS into my build, since I have a fair bit of ammo and heatsinks.

#13 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

I love this build, but I reduce the armor to 386 (drop legs and arms to around 39) and add in an artemis system. Makes the SRM's much deadlier, they have almost no spread.

#14 Asatruer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 25 November 2012 - 02:32 AM, said:

My favorite role to play in nearly any BT game is the "heavy cavalry." The mech that has the movement to get where you need it to be, and the power to kill what you need to die when it gets there. Before the cataphract, I've had to make do with the HBK-4SP, which while it is a fine chassis is lacking in the armor department for my chosen role.
Something called a cataphract being good as heavy cavalry, who would have thought that? :angry:

View PostLefty Lucy, on 25 November 2012 - 02:32 AM, said:

The proof is in the pudding

As the original form of that phrase goes, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating" I think I'll bite and proof the X2 myself, rather than the X4 that I came to this subforum to read up on.

#15 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

Yeah, I've been planning on getting a 2X after I work up the cbills. SRM6s with Art will probably be the key for me.

#16 Lefty Lucy

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostEisenhorne, on 28 November 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

I love this build, but I reduce the armor to 386 (drop legs and arms to around 39) and add in an artemis system. Makes the SRM's much deadlier, they have almost no spread.

Dropped the beagle, and half a ton of armor from the legs to get the artemis on your suggestion. I can *snipe* with those things now :angry: Thanks.

#17 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

This thing is FAST... 84.6 KPH with speed tweak.

I'm running down trial commandos. Feels awesome.

#18 XvDraxvX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 298 posts
  • LocationEscondido CA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

340XL
LBX-10
2 Streak 2's
2 Medium Pulse
1 Large Laser

Endo Steel, DH's, AMS

Its a nasty Knife fighter the LBX just shreds Armor for my missiles and lasers. I have 1.1 heat efficiency so i shoot all the weapons all the time.

Edited by XvDraxvX, 28 November 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#19 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

A variant of this I've been enjoying -

300XL
Endo Steel
14 DHS

3 medium pulse
Gauss w/ 3 tons ammo
2 SRM6 + Artemis w/ 2 tons ammo
416 armor (I think)

Hits 74.6 KPH with speed tweak. I gave it the pulse lasers because lights were giving me so many problems, and the medium lasers just didn't quite cut it.

#20 Athurio

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

After playing with the builds a bit, the 2X just might be becoming my new favorite variant. It's effective at all ranges, and those dual SRM6's pack a mean punch with the nice addition of being on the arm.

The 4X is just too much of a one trick pony to me, and too easily becomes Jenner bait (a terrible ping of 240ms during peak makes for a ballistic nightmare when a Jenner gets in close).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users