IGN vids,why?

118 replies to this topic

#21 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:00 AM

Well I take in your face brawling than both teams dragging the game on and on and on because they are on the opposite ends of the map trying to snipe and no one wants to make the move.

That said, they just showed a SINGLE map. So I mean, come on, isn't it obvious that you are jumping the gun a little bit too fast? Obviously they are going to have a few maps with vastly varying terrain. Not to say, varying objectives, sooner or later.

I kid you not, if the video is about an open terrain where both teams try to utilise long-range weaponry you will hear the exact opposite complaint "OMG ITS JUST A SNIPE FEST IS THIS HAO MWO IS GONNA BE LOL".

#22 pursang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts
  • LocationSurrey BC, Canada

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:05 AM

View Postrollermint, on 10 May 2012 - 04:00 AM, said:

I kid you not, if the video is about an open terrain where both teams try to utilise long-range weaponry you will hear the exact opposite complaint "OMG ITS JUST A SNIPE FEST IS THIS HAO MWO IS GONNA BE LOL".

And that's the sad truth.

#23 Jason Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:22 AM

View PostMr Styx, on 10 May 2012 - 01:28 AM, said:

It strikes me in those IGN vids that range is a problem,a big fing problem,from those vids it looks like to me just a slobberknocker, IE, the range is so short in respect of the mech there is very little room for tactics,apart from a brawl.
its just a who stays up wins,
well from the extremely short range brawls ive seen,thats includeing the long(ranged)weapons
looks like tribes on ultra slow than mechs to be fair

@Mr Styx:This isnt LL, this is MWO...

This game is sticking as close as possible to cannon and its great like that.

IGN are using IS Weapon Stats for the IS Weapons, think it make sens ?!?

BT has been using the same [REDACTED] setting for over 30 years now,[Edited] before whining against something thats been around and SUCCESSFULL for longer than you...

I really dont know *** is wrong with all those dumb ppl pulluting the Forum about the range issue when 1) MWO isnt out yet and 2) Range sticks to Cannon ?!?

I dont even come read the Forums anymore cause im getting sick of all the BS...

Anyway, once-*******-more, BT:MW Rules are available to download for free as Torrent fr anyone that cares enough about the game to educate himself/herself/ITself with the Range/Damage/Heat of the IS Weapons available in 3049...

P.S.: I am wondering if some companies wouldnt want MWO to get out and are actually paying ppl to play [REDACTED] on the Forum...

#24 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:24 AM

C'mon, those vids are ment to represent the graphics, mechs and the blinng-bling-effects of the weapons. You wouldn't see much of it during a snipefest, right?

Plus, its still beta, nothing more. No one is going to the FIFA and complaining about to much sand around the yet-to-be-built-stadiums in Qutar, right?

#25 pursang

• 1,877 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:26 AM

Uh oh...

Posted Image

#26 Win44

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCT, USA

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

Okay well why hasn't anyone mentioned the obvious yet?

Consider the Mech chassis you see most in the videos: Atlas, Hunchback, and Jenner with a few Cat sightings and a Dragon. The first three of those are short range engagement mechs, what do you expect? Furthermore who needs a magic zoom button in a short range mech, that the previous MW titles made it a standard feature was just lame. I want to work hard for that CT torso coring, lame mode not allowed.

#27 SideSt3p

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 484 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:34 AM

We don't have Beta. NONE of us have played the actual game. We have NO experience.

In short: How can people ***** about something they've never played or expereinced.

This isn't Table Top, this isn't any previous MechWarrior game. This is MechWarrior: Online...

#28 StandingCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:37 AM

The game is in early beta, just showing their progress... so things like missile smoke, etc would be added later on... hell we already know the trees being clipped through is one thing that is just due to it being beta.

For all we know that was just a small map made to show off the game.

Let's at LEAST wait until open beta before we start criticizing.

#29 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

View PostJason Phoenix, on 10 May 2012 - 04:22 AM, said:

@Mr Styx:This isnt LL, this is MWO...

This game is sticking as close as possible to cannon and its great like that.

IGN are using IS Weapon Stats for the IS Weapons, think it make sens ?!?

BT has been using the same [REDACTED] setting for over 30 years now,[Edited] before whining against something thats been around and SUCCESSFULL for longer than you...

I really dont know *** is wrong with all those dumb ppl pulluting the Forum about the range issue when 1) MWO isnt out yet and 2) Range sticks to Cannon ?!?

I dont even come read the Forums anymore cause im getting sick of all the BS...

Anyway, once-*******-more, BT:MW Rules are available to download for free as Torrent fr anyone that cares enough about the game to educate himself/herself/ITself with the Range/Damage/Heat of the IS Weapons available in 3049...

P.S.: I am wondering if some companies wouldnt want MWO to get out and are actually paying ppl to play [REDACTED] on the Forum...

Which is cool and people like it like that and all.

I think the point was, that TT does not always translate to video game in the best way and people have concerns that the range aspect is one of those parts, testing will determine that and im sure changes will be made in places where it does not.

Edited by DV^McKenna, 10 May 2012 - 05:46 AM.

#30 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:56 AM

As noted above, by a wise man, we just assume that the Dev assume, that the FAN base wants to actually SEE (visually) the Mechs and the weapons they use. I think they assumed correctly.

Reading more than what is in any presentation format is simply a waste of time. It is, what it is. No more no less. Just enjoy the preview... and hope they provide us more. Especially after having to listen to "ALL the MAKE NO" the armchair critics generate.... :D

Edited by MaddMaxx, 10 May 2012 - 05:58 AM.

#31 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:00 AM

Our goals when it comes to range - make every Mech relevant. Counter a singular spec - boats. Emphasize different tactics, like indirect fire. And encourage more medium to close range combat. By doing so, we make light, medium, and some heavies more useful and critical for success. No longer is the game an arms race to Assault class BattlMechs.

The Forest Colony map features a variety of terrain and tactics. The inlet (ocean), is wide open. You can shoot from one end of the map to the other using lasers (albeit the effectiveness dies out beyond max range.). The middle road, which is featured heavily in the videos, is semi open, with LOS ranges equivalent to approximately 50-60% of the map. And the high route, which is tight, narrow and has a cave.

Two months ago, 100% of the combat took place in the wide open inlet. Then we added indirect fire LRMS and people needed to avoid being spotted, so gameplay shifted. Then we added bases, and people started to hang back and defend. With every addition, gameplay becomes more complex and more tactics are introduced. This will be ongoing forever, since MWO is constantly evolving.

Zoom is being worked on and integrated into an upcoming FNF beta patch. This will significantly improve targeting for sniper mechs. The command wheel, battlegrid, and modules and other role features are all being integrated to further layer in tactical depth.

#32 SideSt3p

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 484 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:03 AM

Thank you Bryan for clarification.

Cool your jets people, this is all gonna work out fine. Just try to wait until you've actually PLAYED the game you're calling foul on before going off the deep end...

#33 pursang

• 1,877 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:03 AM

Sounds like the Forest Colony map can be quite a diverse battlefield. I'm looking forward to trying it out!

#34 Spiralcrisis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 207 posts
  • LocationI'm not sure I want to know.

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:08 AM

I'm glad to see the TT ranges partially because WHEN we do see the clans, it will be scary again. In MW4 everything was so close I see a clan mech it was pretty ho hum for me. With ranges being back to TT there is actually room for clan weapons to be better.

Edited by Spiralcrisis, 10 May 2012 - 06:10 AM.

#35 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:08 AM

View Postpursang, on 10 May 2012 - 06:03 AM, said:

Sounds like the Forest Colony map can be quite a diverse battlefield. I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Definitely. When you get 12 v 12, it's congested, making tactics very important, you can count on getting creamed if you're the first into the fray. It can become quite the chess match, where a rushing team gets caught in enemy crossfire, loosing 2-4 mechs quickly. The team's DPS suffers a major hit and they have to quickly regroup and try to even out the playing field to pull off a win from behind.

That's one of many scenarios we're seeing play out in our weekly play tests.

#36 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:10 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 10 May 2012 - 06:00 AM, said:

Our goals when it comes to range - make every Mech relevant. Counter a singular spec - boats. Emphasize different tactics, like indirect fire. And encourage more medium to close range combat. By doing so, we make light, medium, and some heavies more useful and critical for success. No longer is the game an arms race to Assault class BattlMechs.

The Forest Colony map features a variety of terrain and tactics. The inlet (ocean), is wide open. You can shoot from one end of the map to the other using lasers (albeit the effectiveness dies out beyond max range.). The middle road, which is featured heavily in the videos, is semi open, with LOS ranges equivalent to approximately 50-60% of the map. And the high route, which is tight, narrow and has a cave.

Two months ago, 100% of the combat took place in the wide open inlet. Then we added indirect fire LRMS and people needed to avoid being spotted, so gameplay shifted. Then we added bases, and people started to hang back and defend. With every addition, gameplay becomes more complex and more tactics are introduced. This will be ongoing forever, since MWO is constantly evolving.

Zoom is being worked on and integrated into an upcoming FNF beta patch. This will significantly improve targeting for sniper mechs. The command wheel, battlegrid, and modules and other role features are all being integrated to further layer in tactical depth.

Nice reply.

It will be interesting to see though, if it has gone too far the other way and removed long range from play, time will tell.
I think the main concern at least from LRM users is that their current range, puts them into a dangerously close position to the main battle, they will be easily reachable and perhaps too much so, that there is simply not enough ground between LRM range and Laser/AC 10+ Range which significantly disadvantages LRM's.

But its always nice to hear the thoughts behind the actions.

Edited by DV^McKenna, 10 May 2012 - 06:11 AM.

#37 StandingCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:11 AM

Think it is gonna take people a little while to learn they can't just rush in.

#38 Tronchaser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

Could it possibly be that they set this match up specifically for the videos. No one is going to want to see 5 minutes of going across a map.. we wanna see mechs shooting each other!

#39 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:28 AM

View PostMr Styx, on 10 May 2012 - 01:28 AM, said:

It strikes me in those IGN vids that range is a problem,a big fing problem,from those vids it looks like to me just a slobberknocker, IE, the range is so short in respect of the mech there is very little room for tactics,apart from a brawl.
its just a who stays up wins,
well from the extremely short range brawls ive seen,thats includeing the long(ranged)weapons
looks like tribes on ultra slow than mechs to be fair

Welcome to real Battletech, where the ranges are short, the fights are brutal, and you have to play smart if you want to survive.

#40 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts
  • LocationMannequin Republic

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:28 AM

View Postautogyro, on 10 May 2012 - 01:55 AM, said:

"This isn't your father's Mechwarrior"

That's exactly what using so many 80's unbreakable TT guidelines makes it.

simulator first, yeah right LRMs shoot 650m. I jest mostly but it is pretty ridiculous.

/temper tantrum

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users