115 replies to this topic

#21 Blue Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

Thanks for that post Carl Wrede that was an interesting read.

#22 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

View PostBlue Shadow, on 27 May 2012 - 06:42 AM, said:

Thanks for that post Carl Wrede that was an interesting read.

Wow.. someone actually read it :)

You are welcome.

#23 Tupe

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

Nice to read text like this...it is rare to see nordic countries in any "lore". Good that you did put these here :)

#24 Grimm Wulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationKristianstad, Sweden

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostMangrey, on 26 May 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

EM .... why would Norway Finland and Sweden leave with out the 4th scandinavia country ? and YES THERE IS 4

mang

I have a few theories about that.

One of them is that seeing as southern Denmark is connected to northern Germany, they might have actually been absorbed by them... and as such have become part of Steiner (Steiner to me has always felt German, and I think I read somewhere they where... no?). So that might be it.

But then I have another theory about it as well... one which would make sure that Denmark was actually part of Rasalhague.

You know how Sweden and Denmark has not had the... best of relationships in the past. We have had a pretty massive amount of wars against each other over the centuries (which Sweden managed to come out on top from in the end mind you :D). Well, my theory is that maybe, just maybe, Sweden and Denmark got into it once again for what ever reason. And as a result Denmark was beaten and subsequently was annexed by Sweden.

But as I said it's just a theory. But still it is a pretty plausable story... maybe Denmark felt that they wanted Skåne (Scania) back, and once again (like they had done so many times befor) attacked the Swedes when we had our backs turned, being occupied with other's at the time (that's what happend when you lost Skåne, if my memory serves me correctly ;)).

It would also be sort of plausible due to the fact that even though both Norway and Finland also joined up with Sweden when we left the planet, colonising the galaxy, and turning into Rasalhague eventually... Swedish is still the only Nordic language that seems to have survived. Which is partly weird, seeing as both Norway and Finland are not that much smaller in population compared to Sweden (currently - Sweden: 9.4 mil, Norway: 5 mil, Finland: 5.4 mil, Denmark: 5.5 mil).

That to me would suggest that Sweden somehow had a HUGE influence on these other Nordic nations... in excacly what way I don't know though. Which could also maybe explain my theory about Denmark now being Swedish.

Granted, it could also just be that what is now called Swedish in the game, is actually a mix between Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish... and potentialy Danish to then if my theory is right. Which could potentually explain things like the use of the letter ø in places (since it's a Danish and Norwegian letter).

Who knows. Anyway... even though I noticed a few years ago that Denmark was not mentioned in FRR for some reason, I have just always asumed that you guys came with us anyway... no matter how or why.

Edited by Grimm Wulf, 28 May 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#25 Rycros

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

EM .... why would Norway Finland and Sweden leave with out the 4th scandinavia country ? and YES THERE IS 4

mang

frommm what i remember, and it was awhile ago, Denmark, Norway and Sweden are Scandinavian countries, while Finland, Iceland, and a bunch of islands and i think greenland, are considered Nordic countries.. >.>

like i said, its been awhile ;)

Edit: all of those are Nordic, just the Scandinavian countries are a smaller, more specific set :)
Edit number 2: definitely didnt see that this had continued on another page, so i guess everythign i said is irrelevant :D
pays to pay attention, eh? :P

Edited by Rycros, 29 May 2012 - 12:02 AM.

#26 Duffanichta

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

The 3 magic words: Ghost Bear Dominion!

#27 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

View PostDuffanichta, on 29 May 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

The 3 magic words: Ghost Bear Dominion!

Never heard of.. can you eat it? ;)

#28 IIIuminaughty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

I think we should all forget about what happened In the past and pretend we traveled to the future to go travel back in time to 3049 and Rewrite history!!!
FRR!

#29 Dayuhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 385 posts
  • LocationCarse

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

View PostCarl Wrede, on 25 May 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

I just wish i could edit the first post as i have a swedish keyboard and can put in the dots on Löjtnant, Överste-löjtnant, Överste and Överbefälhavare.

Actually people with US-english keyboards can do so as well. ö is <alt>+148 on the keypad. Ö is <alt>+153 on the keypad. ä is <alt> + 132 on the keypad.

#30 Beazle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOahu

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

The formation of the FRR is actually one of the primary reasons for the success of the Clan invasion.

When Kurita and Steiner forces pulled out of the region, the left a KungsArmé capable of fielding only 15 regiments of Mechs to defend over eighty planets. A force more to scale with a periphery nation than an innersphere power. The remainder of the FRR's military forces were less effective infantry and armor regiments.

In addition, since the FRR represented a rather safe "buffer zone" between the Steiner and Kurita forces, both of those houses relocated valuable military assets to their shared border, closer towards Terra, and away from the invading clans. This left an entire region of space, involving 3 innersphere powers, with far fewer mech regiments present than had been in hundreds of years.

edit PS: I did a little math, and, if the posts in General about how many people have declared for each faction can be trusted, then you guys are only about 3-4 hundred players short of have 1 person to play every single mechwarrior in the KungsArmé.

Edited by Beazle, 31 May 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#31 Tovan Cassidine

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

View PostStrataDragoon, on 29 May 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

I think we should all forget about what happened In the past and pretend we traveled to the future to go travel back in time to 3049 and Rewrite history!!!
FRR!

Damned straight. I'm here to rewrite future history.

#32 Karolis Magnus

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

All that matters is Smörgåsbord and Akavit for everyone!

#33 Beazle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOahu

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostKarolis Magnus, on 07 June 2012 - 05:24 PM, said:

All that matters is Smörgåsbord and Akavit for everyone!

Ehhh...

You didn't say "Mead".
I'm pretty sure that's a hanging offense in the FRR.

#34 Magnus Grimm

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

View PostBeazle, on 07 June 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

You didn't say "Mead".
I'm pretty sure that's a hanging offense in the FRR.

It is, bring out the rope. :P

Edited by Magnus Grimm, 10 June 2012 - 03:06 PM.

#35 Hoaggie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 357 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:04 AM

Yay FRR!

Edited by Hoaggie, 12 June 2012 - 05:03 AM.

#36 Joekr

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

I'm excited! I played MW in the league system, who's name is eluding me, about 10 years ago. Seems like forever. I was part (co-lead) of FRR at that time and when I left, we were having our way with Blake, their allies and a number of clan worlds. It was a hoot. The Lyran's and FRR secretly sent 4 of our largest transports on a circular route through unoccupied space up to the clan home worlds. It took 3 months of single planet jumps to get there, but when we did, boy were they surprised. First we took a factory planet and then we went to town in the clan backyard.

I'm expecting this incarnation of Mechwarrior to be even more exciting.

FRR - Joker

#37 Saevus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationRight side of Upside down

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

While not a writeup, I had some links a few months back that I started in a similar thread, then I wandered off to check my coolant towers. I just recently got back but figured, "HEY I HAD SOME LINKS WITH INFORMATION WHERE DID I PUT THOSE?" (sorry I yell in my head, my brain is hard of hearing, happens when you get to be my age). I only skimmed and a couple post in here were great info, but here is my 2 cents.

View PostSaevus, on 05 November 2011 - 02:35 PM, said:

Background Information
http://www.sarna.net...lhague_Republic

The Kungsarme
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/KungsArme

Basic list of FRR Known Mechs
http://www.sarna.net...lic_BattleMechs

http://www.masteruni...info/MUL/Search (You can custom search based on timeline and region for all mechs, more comprehensive than Sarna, remember to look at DC and Lyran mechs of the same era)

http://www.solaris7....tgeneration.asp (Another sortable list with FRR mechs, thanks to Outlaw for pointing it out)

Sourcebooks
http://rpg.drivethru...=530_2160_0_0_0 (1999, OOP,)

Cheers.

#38 Groovus

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

mang

No, there ARE four... ;) or three or whatever... vikings can't count, they're too busy drinking and killing.

Edited by Groovus, 21 June 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#39 Kane Seere

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

*Kane smokes his pipe, drinks his mead and noms on the redcap mushrooms before running into war*

#40 Constati

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for the background helped in making an informed decision

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users