Running older Mechwarrior titles with Windows 7 x64?

101 replies to this topic

#81 BrotherSurplice

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCoventry, United Kingdom

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

Anyone? Anyone at all?

#82 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Look-up on google search 'mechvm' its a utility to get MW2 to work on other systems. At the link I only download the first download, the others are just more tools. Has always worked fine for me.

#83 BrotherSurplice

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

View PostStingray1234, on 25 November 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Look-up on google search 'mechvm' its a utility to get MW2 to work on other systems. At the link I only download the first download, the others are just more tools. Has always worked fine for me.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

#84 BrotherSurplice

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Alas It seems that mechvm only works if you have the CD for Mechwarrior 2. I do not.

#85 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Here:

http://mwomercs.com/...ndows-7-64-bit/

#86 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

So sad. I can't make Mechwarrior 3 behave correctly. I can't say if I get bouncing mechs, because the colors are all off. It's like some purple rainbow...

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 28 November 2012 - 06:05 AM.

#87 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

I got Mechwarrior 3 working great. It is a crapshoot, however. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What you have to do is on the map loading screen is rail on your mouse buttons and keys to keep it loading. If the loading pauses at all... you get rainbows.

#88 BrotherSurplice

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 26 November 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

Again, you need a disk for those methods. A disk that I don't have. I might just grab a version of Mechwarrior 2 off of ebay or something, but it'd be nice If I could get this DOS version working, because other than the problems I mentioned it works perfectly.

#89 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

View PostBrotherSurplice, on 28 November 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

Again, you need a disk for those methods. A disk that I don't have. I might just grab a version of Mechwarrior 2 off of ebay or something, but it'd be nice If I could get this DOS version working, because other than the problems I mentioned it works perfectly.

Why on earth would you play Mechwarrior 2 without the CD? That's heresy. It just isn't done. The music is an integral part of the experience. I suggest you go look on Amazon or Ebay for some CDs to buy. They don't cost much... and are well worth it.

#90 Squigles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 28 November 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

So sad. I can't make Mechwarrior 3 behave correctly. I can't say if I get bouncing mechs, because the colors are all off. It's like some purple rainbow...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI8hhkHt8Fs

Expand the video posters comments for instructions on setting up MW3 (they're direct from mw3.org), however, the youtube comments have links for the files you need, which I've never been able to get from mw3.org

#91 Lazarus Hraefncin

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

I have been trying to get this game working on windows 7 for a while. But when I tried to open the radeon fix application, it just flashed on my screen and did not load anything. The game still renders in the chunks, just wondering if anyone else had this problem or I messed up somewhere? I think I messed up somewhere on how my dll files open.

Never mind found out where I messed up at. Helps to run the .dll and application files in the right folder.

Edited by Lazarus Hraefncin, 29 December 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#92 Fitzbattleaxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

So I managed to install MW3, and it seems to be running well enough except for an intermittent screen flicker that happens every few seconds both when I'm in a mission, and when I'm in the mech lab. Running Windows 7 64-bit with an Nvidia card. Skimmed this thread, but didn't notice anything that seemed applicable. I've tried messing with compatibility settings, lowering the resolution, and forcing vsync, but so far nothing has done the trick. Anyone else encountering this?

#93 Kermodie

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

help with mechwarrior 3 on windows 7 ???

I got mechcommander gold to work great

but this one seems to be beyond my abilities

I am having the same issue with mech 4 mercs

and
vengence

installs fine but try to start and I get a place the right cd message
every time

amd
proccessor and an ati radeon card at 128 mb

it really should work
what am I missing ?

#94 Kermodie

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

though I have a slow system for online play when my hardware upgrade comes
beware mechwarriors I am a fan and was a player for several years
challenges will coe :)

come :P

lol :D

I will check the posts at 8 pm pacific for any replies :ph34r:

#95 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

got MW3 installed in both windows xp and 7 64 bit professional. however in XP (and 7) it flashes failed to initialize video and in 7 the gameZ engine fails to work due to render files not being there, and i have installed 1.2 patch.

i am pretty sure direct X is the issue.

Edited by dal10, 10 March 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#96 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

I got MW3 to work on my windows 7 64 ultimate

What I did:
-Do not autorun CD when it pops up after putting CD in.
-Instead, go to computer, right click the cd drive you have the cd in(mine was f:
-Copy
-Paste into hard drive. I used my data drive for this
-this will put entire contents of cd(like 590MB) onto the HD
-Now you can go into the "new" files on the HD. If you click autorun here, it will work. The one setup file will also work, but I used autorun and it seamed fine

some of the images during install show their age haha. I routed my install to the data drive also.

Important note: I have not tried to use the desktop icon, as I think it is linked to the MW3 application file in the folder. Rather, I go to the folder, and click on the autorun again, and then when that window pops up, click "Play!". the game starts up. I havent had any movie issues yet.

Second important note:
installed Pirates moon the same way, by copy the entire cd onto harddrive, used different folder though. However, once installation was complete, using autorun from either MW3, or MW3PM opens pirates moon. I do not recall if this was the case originally or not, but if you want to run the original campaign/game, you cant install pirates moon. I uninstalled PM for now, but that also forces a re-install of MW3.

So far all is well. Hope this is helpful.

#97 Woofler

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Alrighty, so I've also had the cravings for years to play Mechwarrior 3 but it has had compatibility issues on newer OS/CPU's etc.

Well i just got it to work. Just then. Pretty freaking excited - so the first thing i'm doing is sharing so others can try it too.

So i scanned the forums of multiple sites and theres all these talks of VMs and grabbers and stuff. I didn't do anything like that.

Downloaded a copy (my CD is too scratched :D) and ran it straight up on my Windows 7 64x. It took a couple of attempts before it made it to the menu, and the background was going heaps fast. Tried playing it and had the APC bounce glitch, then the game crashed.

Restarted the game and went into the settings. Graphics/Audio settings. tried at least tweaking the resolution. then i notice theres that driver device toggle thingo up near the top and i switched it from the standard onto the Primary Driver. changed it to 1024x800 or whatever, rebooted the PC, came back. Done! Freaking works perfect so far!

I apologise for the length and clutter of the post, let me know if it works for anyone else :D

#98 LTG Renner

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

Would anyone out there being willing to attempt to help me work threw my issues with getting this game running on my Machine?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP EliteBook 8560w
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-2540M CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

At one point the game ran perfect right from the disc. I installed a version update, ran compatibility XP sp1 on it and all was good. Then I had to reinstall the OS and now It doesn't launch the installer(setup) from the disc. Even when going in and manually selecting the exe file nothing. I have the original installation on a separate HDD. Tried many combos of compatibility mode ect. with those files. when opening the existing exe it now gives me the video error of ... "Rendering via the GameZ Engine is not supported because the 'software render files' component was not installed during setup." ... I cant reinstall due to it not opening anything off the disc?
anyone wanna try and tackle this? would be much appreciated.

#99 XxRimonsterxX

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts
  • LocationVancouver ,B.C

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:00 PM

I know this is a pretty old post, and I haven't bothered to go through what everyone has posted so I apologize if I say what's already been said... anyways, my MW3 disc runs perfectly on Win7 without any patches or anything, just popped the disc in on my new PC and it ran almost flawlessly (some audio issues where it wont play the background music)

#100 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:19 AM

View PostXxRimonsterxX, on 19 July 2015 - 10:00 PM, said:

I know this is a pretty old post, and I haven't bothered to go through what everyone has posted so I apologize if I say what's already been said... anyways, my MW3 disc runs perfectly on Win7 without any patches or anything, just popped the disc in on my new PC and it ran almost flawlessly (some audio issues where it wont play the background music)

lucky guy, nothing ran fine for me, one graphic mode had artifacts, the other broken physics, wher eemchs started to fly up.

Used a fix given in the net, but then Tanks do still hop up and down like flubbers and I can not complete the mission with the crashed dropsip since the game always crashes when getting close to that dropship :/ Also my lancemates seem to be semi broken as well, they can not even cross the bridge without getting their leg blow off by environment hitdetection.

Edited by Lily from animove, 20 July 2015 - 01:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users