#1 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

I already wrote the following in another thread and think that it is important enough to deserve it's own in the right section.

So why is ECM too powerful?

The best indication that something is too powerful is when all other options are clearly inferior.
And thats the case with ECM. For 1.5t and 2 crits it does nearly everything without any real drawback.
BAP for example cost exactly the same but does nothing compared to ECM. To make it worse, ECM counters BAP.

An ECM-capable mech which does not use ECM is always worse than the build with ECM.
And ECM is currently mandatory in 8-Player premades.

These are all big signs for imbalance.
When equipping a mech, each option must have a significant drawback compared to others (tonnage, nr. of crit-slots, heat, hardpoints, ect.).
If there is none (because the benefits clearly outweigh the drawbacks) and therefore the option is an auto-include, then it is broken.

In my opinion ECM could probably be fine if it would simply no longer hide the enemies in the bubble and make them targetable again.
This null-signature functionallity is way to much and can easily wreck non-ecm users on it's own, especially in pug-games.

I can totally handle the streak/lrm nerf and like how it forces to either create more diversified builds and/or play smarter.
But the whole enemy team having stealth too by a simple 1,5t equipment is ridiculous...

Edited by Daggett, 27 December 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#2 zenstrata

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 206 posts
  • LocationLots of different places

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Not trying to be annoying here or anything - but this is the suggestion forum - so it would be nice if your post included a suggestion? Perhaps how to fix it?

#3 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

My suggestion to fix ECM along with a whole bunch of other Information Warfare pieces

List I made on what I think Information Warfare should look like in the game from a different post:

ECM needs to be toned down and other components like Beagle and Narc need to be toned up. ECM should not provide stealth 'Mech ability to an entire team, it should:

-Disrupt Beagle's ability to detect shut down 'Mechs
-Negate the tight groupings of Artemis-enhanced missiles
-Negate the tight groupings of Narc-enhanced missiles, as well as prevent indirect fire on a Narc'd 'Mech without LOS (more on this later)
-Prevent spotters in the ECM bubble, or on the other side of, with line of sight passingh through a bubble from transmitting target data to team mates outside the bubble
-Make target ID slower to acquire, but not block locks or targeting completely
-Generate ghost targets - bring up the command map with B in ghost target mode and plot a false radar signal that shows up like a target shrouded by ECM - target-able by R, but no target data available
-Run counter ECM

Artemis:
-No Changes, should tighten LRM groups against targets in line of sight

Beagle should:
-Detect shutdown 'Mechs outside of ECM bubbles
-Negate ECM's target acquisition slowdown while outside the bubble
-Notify the user that they are in the ECM bubble, sort of how we automatically have now with the low signal our sensors would know there is an ECM around, but not know where the actual bubble starts or ends.

Narc should:
-Tighten LRM/SRM grouping on targets in line of sight
-Allow targets marked by Narc to remain targeted even when LOS is lost so LRM attacks can continue indirectly without spotters
-Last for either an extended duration than current or until the location the Narc hit is destroyed

A couple simple changes would make all of the advanced EW equipment viable, while remaining faithful to the source material without being game breaking or overpowering. ECM would still be useful to take, especially for protection against LRM spotters, as it would prevent them from sending target data to their LRM boats, protect you from Narc which would actually be a useful item if it kept enemies lit up on radar for indirect fire without a spotter like the rules say it does, and give Beagle expanded roles like countering ECM outside of the bubble (inspired by detection rules from MaxTech), and serving as a warning system that you are inside the bubble propper, which would be useful for spotters trying to Narc targets or transmit data.

The above changes would make information warfare have counters to each other, beyond just ECM, ECM, ECM. It would make it everything a useful addition to a team, but not an absolute necessity or gamebreaker.

#4 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

View Postzenstrata, on 27 December 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

Not trying to be annoying here or anything - but this is the suggestion forum - so it would be nice if your post included a suggestion? Perhaps how to fix it?

IMHO this is quite a suggestion: :D

View PostDaggett, on 27 December 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

In my opinion ECM could probably be fine if it would simply no longer hide the enemies in the bubble and make them targetable again.
This null-signature functionallity is way to much and can easily wreck non-ecm users on it's own, especially in pug-games.

I can totally handle the streak/lrm nerf and like how it forces to either create more diversified builds and/or play smarter.
But the whole enemy team having stealth too by a simple 1,5t equipment is ridiculous...

Edited by Daggett, 30 December 2012 - 06:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users