Comprohensive Issues And Suggestions For Mwo

PoV

5 replies to this topic

#1 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

It seems a lot of faults have been risen to PGI about gameplay, mechanic, and equipment issues we, the community, see as wrong but can not 100% agree on how to fix. So I would like to unveil all the issues that I personally can see and what the community can see as wrong and provide some insight and personal opinions on how to fix.

And to PGI, this is not something that needs to be immediately fixed, but more of the issues between making the conversion from TT to MWO. These can easily be worked on as things are being implemented. And as you guys know, the longer systems stay as they are, the harder it is to change later so it would be a good idea to look at this and plan torwards the future.

Issue One: RoF and Stock Mechs

RoF, the bane of SHS, conversion from TT to MWO, and Stock (trial) mechs.

In MWO, the RoF is so high, a single ML can almost deal as much damage as 2 PPCs, albeit it
be more spread over the target. This is in part of because of the high RoF of weapons and how useless that high RoF is to high heat weapons in extended fights. This amplifies the heat problem in this game for Stock mechs. They are built around the idea of weapons that weapons are fired at 10s. All weapons.

This is 100% the only sure fire way to fix Stock mechs without modifying SHS in some way. Decrease RoF by 100% (Medium Laser CD would be 6.0s).

What you begin to see is that a lot of the heat issues goes away from firing large weapons while small weapons are not overshadowing the larger ones when placed in arrays, constantly being fired.

Now, if you constantly alpha fired a lot of weapons, then yes, you should be producing a lot of extra heat. But there should be some reasonable area where you can equip enough heatsinks and firing a few large weapons and still be reducing your heat slowly. And that is part of the problem in MWO, with RoF being ~3.33x the TT, there is basically no number of weapons (except maybe 2 Small Lasers, which produces enough heat per second that you need 18 SHS to even be neutral, that is not good balance) you can backup fire until you cool enough heat to fire a large weapon.

This is where Heavy/Assault mechs need to be good at, firing 1 or 2 heavy weapons while staying cool enough to add in another array of small weapons fire for extra heat or firing all the small/medium weapons for producing just a bit of heat.

Issue Two: Weapon Convergence

PGI also needs to learn to accept that Light mechs, being as efficient in their weight, can produce builds which allow them to constantly fire 3 or 4 Medium Lasers. The ONLY reason why they are as powerful as they are is because of convergence. If those 3 or 4 Medium Lasers all hit different locations, they would not be NEARLY as powerful as they think it is.

An array of small weapons dealing as much damage as a larger, more heavier, hotter, and most likely harder to hit with weapon. The HBK-4P is a common example of this. 6 Medium Lasers all hitting the same location, dealing 10 damage per second, or 30 damage per fire on a single point! While they do produce 24 heat (8 heat per second), it is hard to match the efficiency of all these weapons hitting the same locations for all that damage. The arm/torso reticules does helps alleviate this a bit, but some mechs are just built to get around this and it makes it very powerful.

I suggest in making arms more important by only allowing arms to converge weapon fire. Torso mounted weapons all should just shoot straight ahead, with no convergence (they would default to converge at their maximum distance, so the AC/20, 2 Medium Lasers, and SRM/6 on an AS7-D would all converge at 540m on the torso reticule while the STK-3F 2 SRM/6 would converge to 540m and the 2 Large Lasers would converge at 900m, so you have to compensate for the weapons, which will spread the damage a lot more, not being a powerful single beam of damage).

This would give a reason for someone to fire at the arms instead of the torsos (because right now, it is 100% better to fire at torsos, as you will remove the arms along with the torso). If you see a mech that is known to have a lot of their firepower on their arms, it will be deadly because it can converge all that damage into a single point. So it would be wise to spend time to take off those arms so that it will being to start spreading damage a lot more.

Issue Three: Weapon Hardpoints

Doubling up on hardpoints in the exact same weapon port visually on the mech. I understand it adds to mechs by allowing more customization. I am 100% fine with more customization. But making weapons fire out of the same port at the same time? It visually looks bad and it cheats the player who is taking the damage. They see a single bolt but is in reality 2 or 3 weapons firing at the same time. There needs to be some mechanic that keeps from allowing weapons from the same locations (LT/CT/RT) all fire at the exact same time, overlapping their visuals. This also amplifies Issue Two: Weapon Convergence.

What I mean by this:

The perfect example: CDA-2A. Why in the world does it have 6 energy hardpoints with only 3 firing points physically on the mech?!?! If that CDA-2A could only equip 3 Medium Lasers, then weapon convergence issues would not be so bad. Hell, that CDA-2A would most likely either take the lowered DPS for the heat neutrality it offers. Or, it could decide to add a Large Laser to the mech to have added punch for some extra heat to dissipate. But when it can equip 5 Medium Lasers and firing them all onto a single point, with all that efficiency, just unbalances things. This also touches on the issue of mis-equipped weapons. The Gauss Rifle in the Machine Gun slot. We all know who it is: CPLT-K2. A simple fix to this is to add a quantifier to the weapon slots.

Issue Four: DHS and the Heat Scale

DHS really need to be the same across the board. You know, if you want heat to matter, I am fine with that PGI, but your hurting mechs that equip a lot of heatsinks outside the engine (Heavy/Assault or Medium energy heavy builds) or mechs that equip smaller engines (Commandos!). You should move them all to 0.17 dissipation, which from my calculations, produces almost the exact same dissipation for heavier mechs which equip DHS right now while lowering the overall dissipation for mechs mounting only or mostly in-engine DHS heatsinks. This is a simple fix to make the game more balance while still allowing SHS to be useful for some builds, which is what is currently in game right now. This is also probably why your Cicada could mount 5 Medium Lasers are constantly fire! Having at least a 250 engine automatically gives you 2.0 heat dissipation.

On top of this, they need to lower the DHS capacity bonus to the exact same as SHS, 1.0. This also gives SHS the capability to withstand more total heat than DHS due to the ability to equip more of them.

After adding this, they need to introduce the heat penalties. These could easily be implemented as the mechanics are already in the game, waiting to be used and places a lot more emphasis on managing heat.

The numbers are just guesses and are just for the example:

At 60% heat reduce maximum velocity by 15%, at 70% heat reduce arm/torso/leg turn speed and maximum radius by 30%, at 80% reduce maximum velocity by 30%, at 90% comes a shutdown (overridable) with random 1.0 damage while heat is over 90%. For every 10% beyond 90%, increase the damage done to random locations by 1.0 (these count as a hit, thus all having a chance to cause a critical). All penalties, except for the random damage, will only be removed if you go 10% below the threshold which caused it. So 50% heat will remove the 60% penalties, 60% heat for the 70% heat penalties, so on and so forth. This makes going over that threshold a penality that will last, not something that will immediately disappear if you barely hit the threshold.

The random heat damage should also happen even if your mech is shutdown. It makes no sense, and is kinda exploitable, in a sense that it is better to just fire and shutdown, knowing you do no damage to your mech, unless you override.

Your mech should never just explode as it does now, either. The random damage mechanic is what should cause the mech to explode, not if they have been over 100% X amount of time while being overridden. The whole point to override is to let your mech damage itself while still being useable. As it sets now, overriding does nothing because if you continue to fire, you will just blow up. At least with the random damage mechanic, you can survive a bit while being hot. I would also suggest making mech power-up take a bit longer, like 6.0s. As it is now, you deal more damage just firing and shutting down instead firing and letting yourself cool off, trying to avoid shutdown.

With this implemenation, while having a bit less heat generation, provides reasons to reduce your DPS in an attempt to stay heat neutral, either by using excess tonnage for heatsinks or firing smaller, heat efficient weapons until you can safely fire larger weapons.

Issue Five: ECM and Other EW Equipment

The complete overshadowing of ECM has caused some mechs to just be a figment of the past. The RVN-4X is a perfect example. Why pilot one?

There has to be some type of drawback to using ECM while ECM itself needs to be toned down. The implementation of ECM is fine, it's just the numbers are in such a scale that it overshadows other variants and other weapon systems outside it's intended use. The following are some suggestions I have seen, along with some of my own ideas included:

- Reduce the ECM sensor reduction range from 75% to 50%.
- Allow Counter ECM to counter all ECM within 180m.
- Mechs using Disrupt ECM can not lock-on (but can still target lock) with SSRMs and LRMs.

The other EW equipment in the game, NARC and BAP, also need to be looked at. Here are some suggestions that myself and others have given feedback on:

- Give the BAP users pings (like Thermal vision) on all ECM equipped mechs.
- Change the NARC to provide non-LoS targetting for 30s. Allow PPCs EMP effect to destroy them. Leave Disrupt ECM as a counter to them.

Artemis also has some issues. One is how the LRM/SSRM system is combined into one system. Since Artemis effects LRMs, it also effects SSRMs (which it never did in the TT) due to both weapon systems using the same locking mechanic. Another is how the Upgrade mechanic in the Mech Lab works. Applying the Artemis upgrade applies it for all launchers on the mech. But, the player should have the option of what launchers are equipped with Artemis. I am surprised they even added this into the Upgrade section and not just added a new weapon with the Artemis upgrade included. Maybe it's more difficult to add new weapons than Upgrades?

Issue Six: Always SSRMs

While the netcode issues might be the reason why Light on Light fights are almost always with ECM/SSRM circle jerk fights, many still believe SSRMs are not in a good place. There are two major issues, beyond netcode, as to why Lights almost exclusively use SSRMs:

- SSRMs lock mechanic works like LRMs, being much to easy to keep the lock.
- SSRMs turn radius is much too tight.
- SSRMs only lock onto LT/CT/RT instead of also including LA/RA/LL/RL.
- SSRMs guarantee damage, thus higher DPS of the same SRM launcher size.

Some suggestions on helping make SSRMs more balanced with SRMs:

- Seperate the lock mechanic from LRMs. For every 0.5s the crosshair is on the target, a SSRM (not the whole SSRM launcher, just a single SSRM) is locked.
- Can continue to gain SSRM locks until every SSRM is locked.
- When a SSRM is launched, the launcher itself goes on CD (in the event of partial launches).
- SSRMs lock mechanic is much more touchy than LRMs. Not having the crosshair on the target for 1.0s, all SSRM locks are lost. But during that 1.0s, SSRMs can be launched for those that have gained the lock.
- SSRMs CD should be ~150% of a SRM launcher of the same size.
- SSRMs lock mechanic only starts within 270m range (SSRM range).
- SSRMs should have a maximum turn radius of 45 degrees (pi/2 radians) per second.
- SSRMs should also include the LA/RA/LL/RL into the random locations to home into.

What this should do is make the SSRMs overall DPS approximately 50% of a SRM launcher of the same size, assuming 100% hits with both launchers. Thus, if a player can land 50% of a regular SRM launcher missiles, he/she should produce 100% the damage of an SSRM launcher. This makes SSRM launchers better at sustained combat where you are making sure all of your SSRMs are landing on the target for damage while the SRM is better at sudden attacks, where firing as many missiles as quickly as possible then backing off or overwhelming the enemy with using as many SRMs as possible in a short amount of time, ignoring the amount of ammo used.

Review

So, to recap and densely consolidate what was explained above, or if you do not want to read all of it:

- Reduce RoF
- Introduce more spreading mechanics
- Remove/fix the stacked hardpoints
- Change DHS
- Add heat penalties
- Modify the random damage/instant death mechanic for overheating
- Modify ECM, NARC, BAP, and Artemis
- Modify SSRMs

EDIT: For the many (and probably still present) typo errors.

Edited by Niko Snow, 03 January 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#2 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

427 views and no posts, suggestions, feedback, or criticisms?

#3 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

- Reduce RoF

I see where you are coming from with this, but I'm not sure I agree. Reducing RoF as much as you are suggesting would greatly impact the pace of gameplay, and not necessarily in a good way.

- Introduce more spreading mechanics

I honestly don't like this idea. I can't place why exactly, I just don't. For one thing it would make the ballistic oriented Hunchbacks even harder to use, and people already say those variants are sub-par. I guess I could get around reduced or slowed convergence, but not full removal.

Also, in some cases it IS a smarter idea to destroy the arms first. As I sniper, I'd rather take out the arms of a LRM Catapult first because they are both quicker to destroy and easier to hit, and obviously because most of his weapons are on there.

- Remove/fix the stacked hardpoints

I'd love to see this fixed for every mech. It's even already in the game for some mechs IIRC (The Ravens visually gain another laser on the right arm, last time I checked). The Cicada 2A would look pretty awesome if all six of the lasers were visually displayed. :D

- Change DHS

Not really sure about this one, I'd have to try it out for myself to really form an opinion on it.

- Add heat penalties

This only makes sense if your suggested RoF changes took place, and even then, it sounds pretty harsh. I agree that some sort of heat penalty could be implemented, but not at the severity that you are suggesting.

- Modify the random damage/instant death mechanic for overheating

This would be pretty nice, yes..

- Modify ECM, NARC, BAP, and Artemis

I'm rather mixed on this. I really dislike the "one ECM counters all ECM" suggestion (talk about getting too much for 1.5 tons.. ;) ).
A better solution IMO would be to have the counter ECM weaken all enemy ECMs within range, while also fully countering the nearest enemy ECM (weakening effects could possibly be: reducing the jamming bubble range, reducing the stealth effect/range given to allies of the countered ECM, etc).

I agree with the BAP, NARC, and Artemis suggestions. SSRM and LRM locks definitely do need to be separate.

- Modify SSRMs

YES. This is probably the best suggestion I've ever read on fixing Streaks.

All I'd like to add is that the screenshake of SSRMs should still be reduced. Even with what you are suggesting, chain-fire "stun locking" will still probably be possible with something like six SSRM 2s in chain-fire (by the time the last missile fires from the last launcher, the 'first' missile is already locked, loaded, and ready to fire).

Honestly, stun locking has no place in a game like this. It is cheap and un-fun to deal with, and its not even challenging to do with the current implementation of SSRMs.

Edited by armyunit, 30 December 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#4 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

I would first like to say, thank you for posting.

armyunit said:

I see where you are coming from with this, but I'm not sure I agree. Reducing RoF as much as you are suggesting would greatly impact the pace of gameplay, and not necessarily in a good way.

Well, here is my thought on about it effecting gameplay.

If the game plays a bit slower, you will begin to see more people tactically firing their weapons instead of just firing as much as possible, as fast as possible. You can also mount more weapons if you want to fire more.

And personally, the difference between firing your weapon every 3.0s vs. 6.0s is NOT that much different. But in terms of heat generated against SHS, it is the only way to balance heat.

Now, there was a suggestion to scale the damage/heat to the 10s round but allow the RoF to be higher. Basically it would look like this.

Medium Laser - TT: 5 dmg, 4 heat, 10s CD; MWO Scale-to: 3s --> 10s / 3s = 3.333; MWO: 1.5 dmg, 1.2 heat, 3s CD

What this does is preserve the TT damage/heat efficiencies while allowing for the MWO RoF. But the devs did not like it for some reason.

armyunit said:

I honestly don't like this idea. I can't place why exactly, I just don't. For one thing it would make the ballistic oriented Hunchbacks even harder to use, and people already say those variants are sub-par. I guess I could get around reduced or slowed convergence, but not full removal.

Also, in some cases it IS a smarter idea to destroy the arms first. As I sniper, I'd rather take out the arms of a LRM Catapult first because they are both quicker to destroy and easier to hit, and obviously because most of his weapons are on there.

Actually, it would make Ballistics MUCH better. And here is why.

You can not focus all the damage of those Hit-Scan weapons on a single point, except in the suggestion Arm hardpoints.

Plus, there is not many mechs that run multiple Ballistic hardpoints so convergence doesn't even matter. Just aim your crosshair at the target and it will land where you aim it. But it's the builds that run multiple of a weapon that wants all that damage hitting the same location is what is causing a lot of the issues.

armyunit said:

I'd love to see this fixed for every mech. It's even already in the game for some mechs IIRC (The Ravens visually gain another laser on the right arm, last time I checked). The Cicada 2A would look pretty awesome if all six of the lasers were visually displayed. :D

Well, that would be fine. I was thinking of ways to fix the issue without remodeling them. I was also thinking of ways to fix issues with multiple weapon convergence.

armyunit said:

Not really sure about this one, I'd have to try it out for myself to really form an opinion on it.

Try, what, exactly? The 1.7 DHS or 1.0 capacity? And it's understandable, but like I said earlier, I have an excel spreadsheet which I can just modify the engine sizes, number of equipped heatsinks, and the heatsink characteristics (heatsink critical spaces, dissipation values, and capacity values). 1.7 dissipation gives almost exactly the same amount of dissipation as 1.4 outside/2.0 inside.

armyunit said:

This only makes sense if your suggested RoF changes took place, and even then, it sounds pretty harsh. I agree that some sort of heat penalty could be implemented, but not at the severity that you are suggesting.

Well, I do agree. If you just add heat penalties to the game right now, only mechs which can fire weapons neutrally would be worth while because everybody would be running around with penalties.

And I think my listed numbers was on the weak side, not the severe side (severe would be 25% then 50% for reduced velocity, 50% reduced torso twist/arm movement).

armyunit said:

This would be pretty nice, yes..

Ya. I currently think their current system just makes overriding your mech worthless. You will just instantly explode for running over 100%. You should get to see your mech deteriorate overtime while your overheated, not just start to take some damage then BOOM.

armyunit said:

I'm rather mixed on this. I really dislike the "one ECM counters all ECM" suggestion (talk about getting too much for 1.5 tons.. ;) ).

A better solution IMO would be to have the counter ECM weaken all enemy ECMs within range, while also fully countering the nearest enemy ECM (weakening effects could possibly be: reducing the jamming bubble range, reducing the stealth effect/range given to allies of the countered ECM, etc).

Well, the issues with ECM right now, I think the largest issue, is that ECM is 100% a numbers game. If you have more ECM, then the other teams ECM is pointless. Also, there needs to be some point for a Light to not take ECM. And allowing a single ECM to run Counter to block all other ECM in a 180m radius would totally remove the power of having a ton of ECM in the first place.

I look at it this way, if a group of 4 Lights took all ECM. They do this so that they can move up on larger mechs and fire at them unimpeded. But a smart group would take more firepower oriented mechs and use a single ECM to counter the other ECM mechs and destroy them by allowing others to lockon to the countered mechs.

When groups start to notice that having 6 ECMs are just worthless because 1 or 2 ECM mechs just turns on Counter and they get LRMed to death, you begin to see the shift away from running every mech as ECM. You will then might see 1 or 3 ECM mechs to provide cover for specific groups, but not using it as a shield against other countering ECM.

You will begin to see ECM being used more for scouting, which is ECM's primary objective. It was placed on the Raven to allow the mech to get behind the enemy lines, then use the ECM Suite to disrupt their special equipment. This is an all around good thing when you see ECM used only sparingly, instead of in mass.

armyunit said:

I agree with the BAP, NARC, and Artemis suggestions. SSRM and LRM locks definitely do need to be separate.

Thank you.

armyunit said:

YES. This is probably the best suggestion I've ever read on fixing Streaks.

All I'd like to add is that the screenshake of SSRMs should still be reduced. Even with what you are suggesting, chain-fire "stun locking" will still probably be possible with something like six SSRM 2s in chain-fire (by the time the last missile fires from the last launcher, the 'first' missile is already locked, loaded, and ready to fire).

Honestly, stun locking has no place in a game like this. It is cheap and un-fun to deal with, and its not even challenging to do with the current implementation of SSRMs.

Like, it's odd that PGI allows SSRMs to have the same DPS, overall, as the same SRM launcher, which requires a high degree of skill to use against moving targets. Hopefully PGI will take a look at this and maybe get some good ideas from it.

Again, thank you for actually sitting down and reading this armyunit.

Edited by Zyllos, 30 December 2012 - 08:43 PM.

#5 Frank the Tank

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

View PostZyllos, on 29 December 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

Issue Two: Weapon Convergence

PGI also needs to learn to accept that Light mechs, being as efficient in their weight, can produce builds which allow them to constantly fire 3 or 4 Medium Lasers. The ONLY reason why they are as powerful as they are is because of convergence. If those 3 or 4 Medium Lasers all hit different locations, they would not be NEARLY as powerful as they think it is.

An array of small weapons dealing as much damage as a larger, more heavier, hotter, and most likely harder to hit with weapon. The HBK-4P is a common example of this. 6 Medium Lasers all hitting the same location, dealing 10 damage per second, or 30 damage per fire on a single point! While they do produce 24 heat (8 heat per second), it is hard to match the efficiency of all these weapons hitting the same locations for all that damage. The arm/torso reticules does helps alleviate this a bit, but some mechs are just built to get around this and it makes it very powerful.

I suggest in making arms more important by only allowing arms to converge weapon fire. Torso mounted weapons all should just shoot straight ahead, with no convergence (they would default to converge at their maximum distance, so the AC/20, 2 Medium Lasers, and SRM/6 on an AS7-D would all converge at 540m on the torso reticule while the STK-3F 2 SRM/6 would converge to 540m and the 2 Large Lasers would converge at 900m, so you have to compensate for the weapons, which will spread the damage a lot more, not being a powerful single beam of damage).

This would give a reason for someone to fire at the arms instead of the torsos (because right now, it is 100% better to fire at torsos, as you will remove the arms along with the torso). If you see a mech that is known to have a lot of their firepower on their arms, it will be deadly because it can converge all that damage into a single point. So it would be wise to spend time to take off those arms so that it will being to start spreading damage a lot more.

I'm not sure how much of a difference the HBK-4P's laser array would be if torso weapons did not converge. The 6 lasers are already so close together if they all traveled in a straight line rather than converging they would end up hitting the enemy mech just as close together. I would imagine that they would all strike the same section whether or not the travel in a |||||| box or to the current /\ convergence. The only mechs that I think would have a noticeable difference, would be wide mechs with lasers in their RT and LT, like the Awesome or Cataphract.

The Jenner's vertically aligned lasers would probably behave similarly, assuming that their arms allow for convergence it would look like //\\. Now if you wanted to remove convergence from the Jenner's arms and other arms which don't have the ability to twist right or left it might look like || || which could be interesting to see.

Also, it would be better for torso mounted weapons to be zeroed in at their optimal range instead of their max range. As you said lasers would just fire straight, but the AC/20 should be zeroed for its advertised range of 270m. Additionally, SRMs detonate past 270m, why then would you zero them for 540m?

View Postarmyunit, on 30 December 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

That is a bug which is a result of all projectile weapons suffering from the current convergence. You'll find that you can't lead shots on the fly or take shots while turning accurately with PPCs, ballistics, or SRMs. The problem is your weapons adjust to converge on whatever the reticule is pointed at.

So, if you turn a corner in an alleyway in RIver City your weapons converge from the distance to the building, say 10m, to the distance down the block, maybe 150m. If you try to shoot just after turning the corner the shot will be off target.

Now you're on Caustic valley with an enemy mech running parallel to you 200m away. You lead the shot but your reticule is pointed at a distant hill and reads 500m away. Anytime you run behind a rock the weapons try to converge at 20m then snap back to 500m. Again you have to wait until the gun is converged correctly to accurately shoot, the trouble is you can't tell if the convergence is right unless you shoot and see how far off target you are.

If torso mounted projectile weapons were zeroed to the optimal range, 270m for AC/20 and SRMs, 450m for AC/10, etc. and never had any side to side travel off the crosshair, then they would actually be easier to hit with. You might have to adjust for drop if you try to shoot beyond the optimal range, but that would be a welcome challenge.

Arm mounted projectile weapons should converge based on the target's distance, rather than the reticule's position. Beam weapons should still converge based on reticule position since they are hit-scan weapons and do not require leading.

#6 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

Good ideas here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users