#1 Violation

• PipPip
  • The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 21 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

Cloud(My Computer Name)Specs:
Monitor - Asus 23.6 LED 2ms @ 1920x1080.
Mouse & Keyboard - Steel Series Kinzu - Steel Series Mechanical 6Gv2.
CPU - AMD FX 6100 @ 3.30Ghz.
Video - XFX ATI HD 7770.
PSU - Corsair 600GS.
RAM - Pratriot Viper Xtreme 8gb DDR3 @ 1866Ghz.
OS - Win 7 Ultimate.
HDD - Western Digital 320gb @ 7200rpm.
Headset - Sennheiser PC 350.
Win Exp - 5.9.

I need to upgrade my ****** HDD to a solid state ;)

#2 Violation

• PipPip
  • The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 21 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

So I guess no one wants to post up they're custom rig ;)

#3 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostViolation, on 23 May 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

I need to upgrade my ****** HDD to a solid state ;)

No, you do not, you can get a 10,000RPM HDD that will compete with the SSDs. Almost as fast, less likely to die than an SSD after 2-3 years, Drawback - noisy.

(you gave people an hour to post? Do you know how many custom rig threads there are?)

#4 Violation

• PipPip
  • The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 21 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 23 May 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

No, you do not, you can get a 10,000RPM HDD that will compete with the SSDs. Almost as fast, less likely to die than an SSD after 2-3 years, Drawback - noisy.

(you gave people an hour to post? Do you know how many custom rig threads there are?)

Hmm well my first choice was going for Velociraptors but the more I look into SSD's the more I want to get one, but you are right about the lifespree. I guess I am still undecided.

Haha its not that I gave people an hr to post.. I only mentioned that due to the fact it has more views than replys.

#5 Stahlseele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

I have 2x74GB WD Velociraptors with 10k RPM in a Raid0 for my System-Drive.
Not too noisy at all. Well, as long as they are not accessed by anything heavy at least.
My Fans are a bigger Problem in that regard.

All of my Systems, aside from Laptops, are custom built by myself.
And i think end of the year will be time for the next new computer too . .

#6 WithSilentWings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationMississauga, Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 23 May 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

Strongly disagree. Will not compete with even a mid-range SSD. http://www.anandtech...00dhtz-review/2

The only benefit is you get more storage--but for that price you could get a 256GB SSD which is to most plenty for OS+Programs+Games.

Unless all you do is copy really large files TO your computer constantly, there is no speed benefit to the 10,000 RPM drive, and you are only using more power, causing more heat and noise, and living with HORRIBLE random read/write performance (which is by far the majority of the work an average hard drive is performing).

Edited by WithSilentWings, 23 May 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#7 Violation

• PipPip
  • The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 21 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostStahlseele, on 23 May 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

I have 2x74GB WD Velociraptors with 10k RPM in a Raid0 for my System-Drive.
Not too noisy at all. Well, as long as they are not accessed by anything heavy at least.
My Fans are a bigger Problem in that regard.

All of my Systems, aside from Laptops, are custom built by myself.
And i think end of the year will be time for the next new computer too . .

This is true, my fans are the noisest at the moment. I really don't mind noise actually since when I do gaming I use my headset and its a closed ear headset so outside noise gets blocked off. For how long have you been having your Volciraptors for?

Ah nice! I generally build this build for the new CS:GO and MWO.
Do you have any plans or any games you want to build up your new system for?

View PostWithSilentWings, on 23 May 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

Strongly disagree. Will not compete with even a mid-range SSD. http://www.anandtech...00dhtz-review/2

The only benefit is you get more storage--but for that price you could get a 256GB SSD which is to most plenty for OS+Programs+Games.

If all you do is copy really large files TO your computer constantly, there is no speed benefit to the 10,000 RPM drive, and you are only using more power, causing more heat and noise, and living with HORRIBLE random read/write performance (which is by far the majority of the work an average hard drive is performing).

My only concern and from I read from other people is the lifespam of SSD's. ;)

#8 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

I'll presume you mean built, not bought.

Operating System Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (All updates/All Latest drivers) 64bit
RAM: 8,159 MB (9/9/9/24)
CPU Name/Type: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
CPU Speed: 4,327 MHz
CPU(s): Physical: 1 - Virtual: 4
Video Card Brand: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (750Mhz)
Video Card Memory: 1,023 MB
Primary Display Size: 1920x1200
Multi-Display Size: 1920x1200
Microphone Enabled: Yes
Language Setting: English (United States)
Harddrive Space Free: 207,783 MB
Harddrive Space Total: 305,241 MB
HDD1 298 GB Partition 202 Free
HDD2 149 GB Partition 86 Free
HDD3 16 GB Readyboost USB3 Dedicated
Windows Experience Index: 5.9 (Drives slow me down, 7.4 if unaccounted)
MS Sidewinder KB/5B Mouse
X45 Stick and Throttle (hate them, but have them)
28" HannsG Display
Antec 900 Case
P67 Sabertooth AsusTek (4/26/12 Bios)
Air Cooled, all fans on Low, except the CPU which is auto (91F idle- 110F load MWLL)
Overclocked 4.3 GHZ and Stable (48 Hour burn-in with Sandra, No errors)
Disassembled every month to keep her dust free... even with my dogs.

Edited by Vexgrave Lars, 23 May 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#9 Violation

• PipPip
  • The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 21 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

View PostVexgrave Lars, on 23 May 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

I'll presume you mean built, not bought.

Operating System Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (All updates/All Latest drivers) 64bit
RAM: 8,159 MB (9/9/9/24)
CPU Name/Type: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
CPU Speed: 4,327 MHz
CPU(s): Physical: 1 - Virtual: 4
Video Card Brand: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (750Mhz)
Video Card Memory: 1,023 MB
Primary Display Size: 1920x1200
Multi-Display Size: 1920x1200
Microphone Enabled: Yes
Language Setting: English (United States)
Harddrive Space Free: 207,783 MB (7200 RPM 250GB)
Harddrive Space Total: 305,241 MB (7200 RPM 350GB)
Windows Experience Index: 5.9 (Drives slow me down, 7.4 if unaccounted)
MS Sidewinder KB/5B Mouse
X45 Stick and Throttle (hate them, but have them)
28" HannsG Display
Antec 900 Case
P67 Sabertooth AsusTek (4/26/12 Bios)
Air Cooled, all fans on Low, except the CPU which is auto (91F idle- 110F load MWLL)
Overclocked 4.3 GHZ and Stable (48 Hour burn-in with Sandra, No errors)
Disassembled every month to keep her dust free... even with my dogs.

Sick mobo! How is that treating you?

Haha would it be too much if I say I deassemble my baby every 2 weeks ;)

#10 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

View PostViolation, on 23 May 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

Sick mobo! How is that treating you?

Haha would it be too much if I say I deassemble my baby every 2 weeks ;)

Love the MOBO, mostly pretty, but very stable and no problems.
My wife got tired of me spending the time that often, sometimes you just give in for love.

Lets face it, there two kinds of people in this world, those that use computers and are locked in the proprietary world of corporate allotted and approved upgrades. And those of us with a Sharpee, a soldering gun, and an Exacto knife, and have no desire to be trapped in a world where breaking warning labels would doom us (so the manufacturers would hope, HAHAHAHA)

Edited by Vexgrave Lars, 23 May 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#11 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

I have two.

Primary system-
CPU- I7 2600K OCéd to 4.4 ghz
Heatsink- Corsair H60
MB- MSI Z68A GD80(gen3)
RAM- Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 2*4gig
GPU- 2* XFX 5870 in CrossfireX
PSU- XFX Pro750 watt X X X Edition 80+ silver
SSD- OCZ Vertex2 180gb
HD- Seagate 7200.12 500gb
Case- Lian Li V1200b
Benchmark- http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3331887

Cruncher/Back-up system(I actually just got all the parts for this and don't have but $290 in it total)-
CPU- I7 860 @ stock speeds right now(bought from CL for $125)
Heatsink- Corsair A50(from original assembly of 2600k system, wasn't good enough for the speeds and load I run the 2600k at)
MB- Gigabyte P55 UD3R(Given to me. Had bent pins in socket. Straighten pins, works great now)
RAM- G Skill DDR3 1600 2*1gig(came with MB for free, guy owed me a favor)
GPU- PNY GTX560(bought from CL for $125)
PSU- PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 860 watt(older PSU, lots of use, but never had a problem with it, won't have a problem powering this system)
HD- WD Caviar Blue 160gb(given to me by a friend)
Case- NZXT Source 210(bought new from Newegg, $39.99/free shipping)

both systems running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Edited by Barbaric Soul, 23 May 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#12 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

Regarding SSDs, two points

First, as WithSilentWings correctly pointed out, SSD are massively faster than even 10k RPM platter drives. Yes, if all you're doing is copying small numbers of massive files, then any platter drive does fine. Hell, my Caviar Green has achieved a consistent 100mb/s when doing that, and it's pretty much bottom of the bin for speed.

However, most hard drives spend most of their time doing random read/writes, and usually with large numbers of small files. This is especially true in gaming. My SSD loaded the average level no less than ten times as fast in BF3 (it's literally about 20 seconds vs 3-4 minutes), which actually gives a big competitive edge, because it means you get to spawn before the majority of players and wreak early havoc (it's actually kind of BS). Guild Wars 2 is even worse, at least insofar as beta is concerned. That game's assets contain nearly 200,000 files, yes, two hundred thousand. Loads don't take terribly long either way, but SSDs have an undeniably huge speed advantage when zoning, which is done a lot (TOR was the same way).

When copying over a mod-mod of Armada II Fleet Ops containing something in the realm of 50k files, my HDD took over 10 minutes, while later doing it with my SSD took about 30 seconds. Okay, okay, a 10k RPM drive is faster than a Caviar Green, to be sure, but not really in random IOPS.

As for longevity, I had an SSD die on me, yes, and yes they do wear eventually, but all in all there's no evidence they'll fail sooner than normal HDDs (or even as quickly) from average usage. The average user does far more reads than writes, even if one has a page file active, and reads are non-destructive to the memory. Between that fact, and the fact that there is additional memory reserved to replace cells as they die over the years, it'd hard to imagine SSDs will do anything but last longer than normal HDDs

#13 Xenodraken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCanada - no not in an igloo O.o

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

I have a Raptor drive in my main system with a pair od SSDs' the spin drive is a turtle.. even at 10k i got the 10k thinking it would open up my windows rating. Thats when i found out if windows detects a spin drive you get no more then a 5.9 score.

Playing skyrim using a pair of agility 3 drives in raid0 i dont even have time to read the loadscreen tips.. its there and gone

Its simple.. SSD for you OS/Game drive. Spindrive for backups.

This reliability crap is just that.. Just dont run defrag on SSDs... you dont need to. The drive will likely be worn out some time after its obsolete anyway.

Edited by Xenodraken, 23 May 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#14 Violation

• PipPip
  • The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 21 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

View PostVexgrave Lars, on 23 May 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

Love the MOBO, mostly pretty, but very stable and no problems.
My wife got tired of me spending the time that often, sometimes you just give in for love.

Lets face it, there two kinds of people in this world, those that use computers and are locked in the proprietary world of corporate allotted and approved upgrades. And those of us with a Sharpee, a soldering gun, and an Exacto knife, and have no desire to be trapped in a world where breaking warning labels would doom us (so the manufacturers would hope, HAHAHAHA)

Haha completely agree and happy to say that I am the one with the sharpee, soldering gun and exacto knife in my toolset.
I was looking at the sabertooth mobo at the point I was putting this rig together but decided to go with a MSI mobo.

#15 Violation

• PipPip
  • The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 21 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

View PostBarbaric Soul, on 23 May 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

I have two.

Primary system-
CPU- I7 2600K OCéd to 4.4 ghz
Heatsink- Corsair H60
MB- MSI Z68A GD80(gen3)
RAM- Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 2*4gig
GPU- 2* XFX 5870 in CrossfireX
PSU- XFX Pro750 watt X X X Edition 80+ silver
SSD- OCZ Vertex2 180gb
HD- Seagate 7200.12 500gb
Case- Lian Li V1200b
Benchmark- http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3331887

Cruncher/Back-up system(I actually just got all the parts for this and don't have but $290 in it total)-
CPU- I7 860 @ stock speeds right now(bought from CL for $125)
Heatsink- Corsair A50(from original assembly of 2600k system, wasn't good enough for the speeds and load I run the 2600k at)
MB- Gigabyte P55 UD3R(Given to me. Had bent pins in socket. Straighten pins, works great now)
RAM- G Skill DDR3 1600 2*1gig(came with MB for free, guy owed me a favor)
GPU- PNY GTX560(bought from CL for $125)
PSU- PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 860 watt(older PSU, lots of use, but never had a problem with it, won't have a problem powering this system)
HD- WD Caviar Blue 160gb(given to me by a friend)
Case- NZXT Source 210(bought new from Newegg, $39.99/free shipping)

both systems running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Really dig the crossfire with the 5870's. I have a friend of my name that is crossfiring 2 of those baby's and it runs like a champ only downfall if his tower runs pretty hot on air cooling. I bet the SDD must be beautiful.. I are jelly Haha.

#16 Violation

• PipPip
  • The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 21 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

View PostCatamount, on 23 May 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

Regarding SSDs, two points

First, as WithSilentWings correctly pointed out, SSD are massively faster than even 10k RPM platter drives. Yes, if all you're doing is copying small numbers of massive files, then any platter drive does fine. Hell, my Caviar Green has achieved a consistent 100mb/s when doing that, and it's pretty much bottom of the bin for speed.

However, most hard drives spend most of their time doing random read/writes, and usually with large numbers of small files. This is especially true in gaming. My SSD loaded the average level no less than ten times as fast in BF3 (it's literally about 20 seconds vs 3-4 minutes), which actually gives a big competitive edge, because it means you get to spawn before the majority of players and wreak early havoc (it's actually kind of BS). Guild Wars 2 is even worse, at least insofar as beta is concerned. That game's assets contain nearly 200,000 files, yes, two hundred thousand. Loads don't take terribly long either way, but SSDs have an undeniably huge speed advantage when zoning, which is done a lot (TOR was the same way).

When copying over a mod-mod of Armada II Fleet Ops containing something in the realm of 50k files, my HDD took over 10 minutes, while later doing it with my SSD took about 30 seconds. Okay, okay, a 10k RPM drive is faster than a Caviar Green, to be sure, but not really in random IOPS.

As for longevity, I had an SSD die on me, yes, and yes they do wear eventually, but all in all there's no evidence they'll fail sooner than normal HDDs (or even as quickly) from average usage. The average user does far more reads than writes, even if one has a page file active, and reads are non-destructive to the memory. Between that fact, and the fact that there is additional memory reserved to replace cells as they die over the years, it'd hard to imagine SSDs will do anything but last longer than normal HDDs

So for how long did you have your SSD? Like I said I really do want to upgrade to an SSD, I am just curious on its lifespam.

#17 Violation

• PipPip
  • The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 21 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

@Xenodraken So you are just using the raptor for storage and the SSD's for load ups and such?

I've told my friend that I wanted to go do 2 raptors on raid 0 over an SSD and he just bashes on me saying I should just spend all that money on a single SSD.

#18 TheJuggernaut

• PipPip
  • The Juggernaut
  • The Juggernaut
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

This is my friends rig he's building at the moment.
‎16 15,000RPM 3G sas disks
24 core CPU 2.8 ghz
top of the line geforce cards in SLI

1750 watts of power to run the thing lol.

The thing transfers files at a speed of 2400 megabytes/second

and Disk to Disk transfer of 1800 Megabytes/second.

pretty damn fast i must say.

Posted Image

Edited by TheJuggernaut, 23 May 2012 - 06:55 PM.

#19 WithSilentWings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationMississauga, Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

View PostViolation, on 23 May 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

So for how long did you have your SSD? Like I said I really do want to upgrade to an SSD, I am just curious on its lifespam.

To be frank, one person's experience with an SSD's lifespan should not have any impact on your decision. The reality is that SSDs are doing very well, most brands are very reliable, and the feelings regarding them are OVERWHELMINGLY positive. There are always people who are worried about change, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the inner workings of both storage mediums to decide which would be more likely to last if all else (quality etc.) is equal.

Additionally, NEVER EVER EVER buy a storage medium because it's reliable to replace redundancy AND backups. Don't trust anything with your data.

View PostViolation, on 23 May 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

@Xenodraken So you are just using the raptor for storage and the SSD's for load ups and such?

I've told my friend that I wanted to go do 2 raptors on raid 0 over an SSD and he just bashes on me saying I should just spend all that money on a single SSD.

Your friend is right. Two raptors in raid 0 is likely still going to be notably slower than a single SSD.

View PostTheJuggernaut, on 23 May 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

This is my friends rig he's building at the moment.
‎16 15,000RPM 3G sas disks
24 core CPU 2.8 ghz
top of the line geforce cards in SLI

1750 watts of power to run the thing lol.

The thing transfers files at a speed of 2400 megabytes/second

and Disk to Disk transfer of 1800 Megabytes/second.

pretty damn fast i must say.

What does your friend do? This is a huge waste as a gaming machine, or likely even a workstation for one user. It's entirely plausible that it will actually perform significantly worse than usual off-the-shelf stuff unless we're talking about some kind of rendering or scientific processing... but the HD throughput is awesome.

Given that, it would actually still be entirely believable to find out that a $300 SSD would still have better random read/write speeds :ph34r:

Edited by WithSilentWings, 23 May 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#20 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

View PostDrakewolff Kerensky, on 23 May 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

here the one i going to get after i get my school money

5150 Escape FX Quad-Core Gaming PC
  • AMD FX 8150 3.60GHz Octa-Core AM3 RET Processor
  • Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P AM3 V X16 2D3 M8 GL R MATX Motherboard
  • 4GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10600 Memory
  • 4GB DDR3-1333 PC3-10600 Memory Kingston HyperX
  • 2TB 3.5 SATA3 7200RPM 64MB
  • 1TB 3.5 SATA3 7200RPM 32MB
  • DVD±RW DL 22X Black SATA BULK Optical Drive
  • GeForce GTX560 Ti 1GD5 X16 2DVI MHDMI
  • Mid Tower No Power Supply Red Chassis
  • CoolerMaster 1000W ATX EPS 12V 80Plus Bronze PSU
  • Aerocool 2 Bay Front Fan Touch LCD Control Panel
  • 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Onboard
  • Encore ENLWI-N/-NX2 Wireless-n PCI Adapter 802.11bgn
  • Logitech USB Keyboard and Mouse Combo OEM
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32/64bit COA
  • Microsoft Office Professional 2010 Ret. 2PC
  • Hannspree 21.5in 30000:1 5MS LCD WS Black w/SPKS Monitor
  • PP1500SWT2 1500VA / 1000W UPS LED
made by

Eh, you can get better for your money.
1. For a GPU, you can get a Radeon HD 6870 for less, and get slightly better performance, or pay a bit more for a 7850 and get higher performance still.
2. Don't mix and match RAM brands. That will cause performance issues.
3. A 1000watt PSU is overkill.
4. Have you looked at comparible prices from e-tailor custom computer suites? Like CyberpowerPC.com, iBuypower, AVAdirect and the like? You may get a better deal that way.

Anyhow, my upcoming system:
Phenom II X6 1055t (4ghz OC w/ Coolermaster TPC 812 or Hyper 212 Evo depending on budget.)
AM3+ 9xx/10xx series chipset motherboard, AsRock or Asus.
8GB DDR3-1333mhz AMD branded RAM w/ low profile heatsinks
1TB 7200rpm WD RE4 HDD
Radeon HD 7770 or above 7xxx series GPU
750w PC Power-and-cooling Silencer MK-II PSU
NZXT Phantom 410 or refurbished Phantom case (they're on sale half off right now. hoping they still will be in July.)
Windows 7 Home Premium

Edited by Vulpesveritas, 23 May 2012 - 07:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users