Flame Builds

40 replies to this topic

#1 Jim thorne

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

I have three build that I made but I just wanted some input on them. My play style is generalist with variety of different weapons; I need at least one of each type energy, missile and ballistics.

1. vhttp://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=56&l=ed4a090777d7efb403089d50ebc359dde1aa1e1d

2. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...76934c6ddd17569

3. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7e2649ec6b7d093

Ps: sorry for the bad grammar I am doing this from a phone.

#2 Ophidian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 123 posts
  • LocationI HAVE NO IDEA WHERE I AM! SEND HELP!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

The first is....really close to a stock Flame.

The second, I wouldn't. I feel like you'd do too little damage, and that would drop to even less at brawler range.

The third....well, first of all, you've got the wrong ammo in there. Secondly, 30 shots with an Ultra is not enough. And it's pretty hot. I'd think of you as an easy kill unless you somehow managed to stay really far away.

Edited by Ophidian, 14 January 2013 - 11:40 PM.

#3 nungunz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 612 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

I usually run two different builds:

x4 Large Laser

or

x4 Mediums Laser
x1 AC/10
x1 SRM4 (if you swap to an AC/5 or UAC/5, you can maybe cram two SRM4s onto this)

The second build almost needs both endo and ferro to make it work. Both mechs use an XL350 and double heat sinks.

Edited by nungunz, 15 January 2013 - 12:46 AM.

#4 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

4xML
1xGauss
1xStreak
325XL?
endo
ferro

#5 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

I think your second build looks very interesting -- like something I may have to try myself (with a few minor tweaks). The biggest issue you'll have is the heat. It's going to run too hot with only 14 heat sinks. PPCs (even with just one) are not very forgiving in that regard. I think you'd be better served dropping FF along with the AC2, then adding a 3rd ML, 3 more HS's and a second ton of SRM ammo (you'll only get 16 shots + change with one ton). You also DEFINITELY want to move that ammo to the legs and out of the side torsos...

#6 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

I still prefer the simplicity of this build.

1 GAUSS 4 ML XL360
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e98c620a6b3f646

Gameplay:

#7 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

I'm going to try the following variation of TruePoindexter's build:

XL360
4 MLs
LBX/10 (1T ammo)
SRM6 (1T ammo)
Use the remaining tonnage for DHS.

This build has a nice alpha strike of 45 for the enemies' kiester. Not sure if its enough ammo or how the heat will be though.

#8 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

View PostNRP, on 15 January 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

XL360
4 MLs
LBX/10 (1T ammo)
SRM6 (1T ammo)

This build has a nice alpha strike of 45 for the enemies' kiester. Not sure if its enough ammo or how the heat will be though.

It should work - you may have to be careful with your SRM usage. The mech should be fast enough to dip into cover to let yourself cool down though.

#9 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

I think my main problem with my Flame/Fang is that I tend to get too close. The incredible speeds afforded by these large XL engines makes me feel like a light, which can weave in and out of much larger enemies without too much worry. Unfortunately, a Dragon is a lot easier to hit than a light, and I think I pay dearly for that. That is why, upon further reflection, True's Gauss build is probably better than mine as it allows you to fight from range. I'm still gonna try them both though.

By the way, thanks for your great videos, True. I find your commentary about your tactics and decisions to be some of the best of all the game play videos people post. Definitely thought provoking stuff.

#10 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Try using a build with dual energy on the right arm. I use 2 x large lasers -- perfect convergence, no ammo and you can fire just putting our arm out (and not the whole mech with the ballistic hard point. I also carry 2 MPLs and an SRM4 for short range fighting. I don't tend to hang around long - so the quicker burst on the MPLs seems to work well. Or you can pack a PPC on and just run all over the place, firing every 3 seconds. You can change games just by doing that (backing guys down into cover, etc).

#11 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

XL360
4 MLs
LBX/10 (1T ammo)
SRM6 (1T ammo)

It's and extremely shot conservative build. Not to mention one has to be very concienscious about heat.

#12 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

I run mine like this most of the time or I copy the various C1 builds.

STD300

AC20 w/3tons ammo
4ML

ES
FF
DHS

Add armor and heat sinks to your liking and laugh as people try to kill you by shooting your RT after your arm's off.

#13 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

XL360
4 MLs
LBX/10 (2T ammo)
SRM6 (1T ammo)
12 DHS

This build works pretty well. Heat is manageable, even on Caustic. The LBX/10 is a bit hard to aim, but it seems pretty powerful. High speed alpha strikes are sooo satisfying.

#14 CommieKazie

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

I use a similar build to the last two listed, but you should put 2 tons of both LBX and SRM ammo. They're both torso-mounted and will have similar points of impact.
1 Ton is not enough ammo for a match (at least for me). Having 2 tons of both types of ammo means that you have ~30 volleys of LBX + SRM6.

Now what I'm trying to figure out is why I should run this build over a Hunchback 4SP? The Hunchback is a little slower, and has a little less armor, but it does the same job with 2-SRM6's (bigger alpha value), and it has the added staying power of running a standard engine.

#15 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

Well, my Flame runs at 107 kph. I can put a 45 pt alpha strike on you and be gone before you know what hit you. I don't know how fast Hunchbacks can go, but I imagine they move in slow motion by comparison.

#16 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

I run a 4xML and Gauss in my Flame and I've had great results. I only use a 350XL engine for 103.9, but with 4 tons of Gauss ammo in there I am able to achieve over 1K damage in a round (which I have). Tried the 4xLL but didn't get as high dmg/kill results even though it was still effective it just didn't work out as well for me.

Endo, FF, DHS in there as well. I think I have 12DHS and the heat is pretty reasonable even on Caustic.

Usually I start the round by sniping with the Gauss a bit and then one the mechs start brawling I strafe in and lay down some damage. I don't typically look for a 1v1 duel and prefer to engage mechs that are otherwise occupied whenever possible and deal out enough damage that can't be ignored and when they turn to me I'm gone at high speeds and my teammates have their back then they turn around again and well you get the idea.

Flame with this loadout it great for team play.

#17 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Agreed. Although its heavy and takes up lots of slots, the Gauss is fantastic for damage and heat efficiency. It's well worth doing whatever you have to to shoehorn it in there. I run a Gauss in my Fang (XL350, 3 MLs, SRM6), and it has totally changed my opinion of that variant. I feel that now it is basically on par with my Flame. Really liking both the Flame and the Fang now. With these builds, it's the first time I've been able to go positive on a reasonably consistent basis.

#18 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 15 January 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

I run mine like this most of the time or I copy the various C1 builds.

STD300

AC20 w/3tons ammo
4ML

ES
FF
DHS

Add armor and heat sinks to your liking and laugh as people try to kill you by shooting your RT after your arm's off.

I did very similar to this tonight.
ac20 3tons ammo
4ml
ES
DHS

#19 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostLugh, on 16 January 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

I did very similar to this tonight.
ac20 3tons ammo
4ml
ES
DHS

Another nice thing about this build is that you can absorb an entire 6xSRM6 alpha on the right side with minimal decrease in firepower when you inevitably get ambushed by a splat cat. Plus it's kind of hillarious watching all your body parts fall off while your AC20 is still intact.

#20 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

Wow, you guys fit an AC/20 on a Flame? Never thought to try that because they are so heavy. I like AC/20s. They're nasty.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users