#41 Robin Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 337 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

View PostBalsover, on 20 January 2013 - 11:48 PM, said:

This is the downside to the increased armor values. In TT, a few large lasers to a Commando would shred most of it apart. Lights just have too much survivability with the extra armor.

I believe the problem to reside in the annoying lagshield, rather than doubled armor values.

#42 Rodrigo Martinez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

View PostPr8Dator, on 21 January 2013 - 01:20 AM, said:

A single Raven or any light isn't scary... sometimes even two isn't scary. They only get scary when 3 or more of them are circling you but hey, which mech isn't scary if 3 to 4 of them are circling you?

Let's state where problem is. Every mech have to close-up to start circling, There's no heavy mechs except dragons who will do that. If mech do so, he is the target, and you can alpha-strike it. Entering the circle around Atlas is the very dangerous action for everyone except lights; lights can close-up without taking devastating damage. Lights, and only lights, are able to charge heavy/assault mech with its' lagshields, without the huge risk of death while doing so. I have no problem with prediction, 130 ping and ballistic weapons' usage. But for being able to shot the light mech, I have to predict not the visible mech, but it's server position. This is the problem here.

#43 elbloom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

View PostHeiggwinie Halberstadt, on 21 January 2013 - 01:38 AM, said:

Could you give a hint at how to do this?

move to canada or the westcoast, with a 20ms ping no more need to lead a mech 100m in front :( then it´s only 10m ^^

#44 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

With great ping and good aim you can kill lights easily.

People playing outside of North America play the guessing game when it comes to shooting lights.

"Lead them" you say.....sure, that works great for killing pilots who don't zig and zag. For pilots maneuvering evasively, leading them is extremely difficult.

#45 Mr 144

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

View PostQuxudica, on 21 January 2013 - 01:29 AM, said:

Two Ravens are enough to kill pretty much anything without streaks. I just had a game where a single raven ran straight toward me in open terrain on caustic, I put two dual gauss alphas right in its center torso (if not cockpit) before it got to me and neither did any damage. Nor did the next two alphas, it took five double gauss shots before a hit finally registered. Until the net code is fixed, lights are a major issue.

The four man Raven premades are also getting really really tiring.

Let's break this one down :(
Caustic:
This is the one exception to typical light fighting. Oddly enough, being in the 'wide open' is probablly the best spot. This means avoid the hills on the crater edge. Wide open spaces without cover is precisely where lights will NOT want to be. LRMs own them here. Counter-Turning and timing is your friend here for direct-fire.
Gauss:
Personally, I would not under any circumstance alpha a light with the 2x set-up. Build choice was for prescision sniping, meaning you should be weak against them. Gauss recycle time blows chunks, and you WILL miss often. Patience and single shot. I know what I'm talking about here, as an AC/20 is my preferred light killer, but gauss works just as well for this purpose. Expect 4-5 rounds used per light when single shotting (perhaps more without ML 'painting' secondary weapons). Alphas just waste ammo. The goal is to hit them, and high alphas are simply not needed.
Ravens: (personal opinion)
These are not lights ATM...they are simply broken. When Ravens were introduced they were ridiculously easy to kill. Jenner's were top-dog lights, and Ravens were a joke. Magically, they became a nightmare of hit-box borkness, coincedentely around the same time ECM was introduced. The difficulty in landing shots on a raven has nothing to do with speed, lag-shield, or ECM. All lights suffer/benefit from these things, yet Ravens IMO go far beyond the usual issues and ECM erroneously takes the blame. You just don't hear the same stories about an ECM commando, Cicada, or now, spider.
Flocks:
This could be said of any 'tactical griefers' in any chassis. 4xsplats, 4xD-DC, 4xWhacks, even 4xHBKs can be obnoxious. This is simply Teamwork is OP, Pugstomping, Cheeses, Etc. and beyond the individual issue of Light mechs in general.

Please don't think I'm calling you out or anything, your's was just a convenient post to make my points :( Cheers!

Mr 144

Edited by Mr 144, 21 January 2013 - 02:21 AM.

#46 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

What's exasperating is that the game often seems to end up with most of a player's time being occupied by the need to control or avoid the other side's light mechs. The game ends up revolving around the light mechs rather than the assaults.

#47 Raidyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 718 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

When (if) they fix the hitbox problems, the forums will be awash with threads talking about how useless lights are as min/maxed Catapults and Stalkers kill them in a single alpha.

#48 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

View PostHeiggwinie Halberstadt, on 21 January 2013 - 01:38 AM, said:

Could you give a hint at how to do this?

Read this: http://mwomercs.com/...per-easy-to-do/

It works great both for missile boating and if you need something to help with lag aiming.

View PostBlackclaw Apoch, on 21 January 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

You guys are cute. You really can't kill lights? They have terrible armor, you should try shooting them!

I don't know if you are trying to be funny or just clueless but its hard to hit a hitbox that is floating in limbo.
This is probably getting much worse with bad ping so if you are some US or Canadian kid, go get bent.

Edited by Ilwrath, 21 January 2013 - 02:32 AM.

#49 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:33 AM

View PostBlackclaw Apoch, on 21 January 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

You guys are cute. You really can't kill lights? They have terrible armor, you should try shooting them!

Do, repeatedly. Of course it takes 5-6 hits to get one to count.

#50 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

View PostQuxudica, on 21 January 2013 - 02:33 AM, said:

Do, repeatedly. Of course it takes 5-6 hits to get one to count.

Use the tag. I had one horrid match on caustic yesterday. I killed most of the other team with my LRM stalker but in the end my team was dead and I had two enemy mechs alive. A spider and a ******* ECM Raven. I got lucky with overheating spider so he did not move for some time, my two backup med lasers nailed him, but the 5 next minutes I had to enjoy with a raven circling my stalker.

Tag let me find out that his hitbox was about two mech lengths ahead of him but it was variable. I used tag to find and the two lasers to sweep his feet where the hitbox really was. Without tag I would not have had a chance in hell.

In the end I did manage to leg him, get distance, tag break his ECM shield and pump him full of missile until his tiny horror mech was reduced to slag.

Tag saved my *** there but it should not be that way. Game is broken.

#51 Protoculture

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:59 AM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 20 January 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

Because when you kill a light with a gauss/PPC/SRM-PUKE to the face, it's sooooooooo satisfying.

If you don't want to cicada, you can light-hunt with Cent-9D, maximum speed well over 120kph incl speed tweak.

My personal favorite is when they run either right at me in a straight line or directly away from me a in straight line and take a Gauss or AC/20 Slug to the forehead/back of the head and just fall over. If they're running at any other trajectory it's wasted ammo.

EDIT: With the netcode lag the hitboxes and whatnot are totally unreliable. I've seen ballistics shots "miss" and the guy dropped and plenty of "hits" where there was 0 damage. Even on some of the bigger stuff not just Lights.

Edited by Protoculture, 21 January 2013 - 03:01 AM.

#52 Rat of the Legion Vega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

I enjoy piloting lights.

I enjoy blowing up lighs with dual ac/20/gauss.

I think all classes are fairly well balanced (maybe mediums are a tad weak).

I wonder how many of these complaints are just atlas/stalker only pilots who believe their fatty should be invincible against all other mechs except atlases and stalkers.

Rock, paper, scissors, friends. All good games have such a dynamic where the smallest can beat the largest under the right circumstances.

The only thing that's really borked IMO is streaks, and by extension, the Raven 3L and perhaps Commando 2D.

#53 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:51 AM

View PostRat of the Legion Vega, on 21 January 2013 - 03:21 AM, said:

I wonder how many of these complaints are just atlas/stalker only pilots who believe their fatty should be invincible against all other mechs except atlases and stalkers.

No you should be in danger of getting flanked and so on while in an assault. But you should also be able to hit what you aim at. They need to remove the random number generator from aiming and they need to bring back collisions, a double edged sword really, so lights have to be careful when warping around.

#54 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

my cn9d: 108kph, LBX, streaks + TAG (actually atmo i run it with 2 srm4´s) ... only problem was the constant fps drops i suffered from... but i added the good old user.cfg tweak for lowend systems, though mine is not exactly lowend, but it seemingly solved this issue at least ;)

alone the picture of a light blown to pieces by an LBX is worth it ;)

the good thing is, that alot of those "swarming" light pilots lately are those guys who failed with the other previous "OP" builds, and are even more terrible light pilots :D my guess is, that "bigger is better" will have a renaissence soon :blink:

my job lately? i weither hunt lights down, or i chase them off from the big guys... anyway, i ruin their success most of the time

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 21 January 2013 - 04:04 AM.

#55 o0Marduk0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:05 AM

Only cave-men can complain about light mechs when those get shot into pieces after re-adding collision and fixing net-code.

#56 Lyrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 568 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:10 AM

View PostIlwrath, on 21 January 2013 - 02:42 AM, said:

Use the tag. I had one horrid match on caustic yesterday. I killed most of the other team with my LRM stalker but in the end my team was dead and I had two enemy mechs alive. A spider and a ******* ECM Raven. I got lucky with overheating spider so he did not move for some time, my two backup med lasers nailed him, but the 5 next minutes I had to enjoy with a raven circling my stalker.

Tag let me find out that his hitbox was about two mech lengths ahead of him but it was variable. I used tag to find and the two lasers to sweep his feet where the hitbox really was. Without tag I would not have had a chance in hell.

In the end I did manage to leg him, get distance, tag break his ECM shield and pump him full of missile until his tiny horror mech was reduced to slag.

Tag saved my *** there but it should not be that way. Game is broken.

Sounds more like that the Stalker is broken when you can kill the entire enemy team with LRM.

Even without Lagshield , netcode problems and hitbox bla you shouldn't have a chance in a stalker with 2xML against any halfway competent light mech pilot.

But I can't wait for the fixes on netcode and raven hitboxes. And when colliding will be back. The whines on the forums from the light mechs drivers will be massives :-) And my K/D will shoot trough the roof :-P

Edited by Lyrik, 21 January 2013 - 04:11 AM.

#57 pcunite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

Make ECM mechs that are line of sight within 90 meters lockable and remove the double armor values. Now, every pilot will understand the danger of weapons and thus slow down without nerfing and buffing everything. Right now you just walk around knowing an AC/20 will take 4 hits to do anything.

Edited by pcunite, 21 January 2013 - 07:16 AM.

#58 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

Had a Command take 4 of my PPCs to the face in my Stalker. The explosion and then seeing XP/Cbill bonuses for 3 component destructions and the kill is all the reward I need.

#59 ROFLwaffle49

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

Ask the last Hundred lights I pegged with an ac20 if they think they are stomping my Atlas. Other that that bit of bragging, seriously, Shut up, if you can't deal with lights work on your game, don't come on here and *****.

#60 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

My 'mando was taken out by an enemy ECM 'mando. As he bragged how broken his 'mando was, he was obliterated by my teammate's AC20 (in a non-ECM mech).

Learn to aim with direct fire weapons, they are just as effective.

Edited by Novawrecker, 21 January 2013 - 07:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users