Now That Netcode Is Acceptable...

36 replies to this topic

#21 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

View PostBlackBeltJones, on 25 January 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

Why are people saying the netcode is any different than before?

CryEngine update makes the game send packets faster and more often than before, negating the delay you used to see and feel from your weapons and enemy movements, as well as their hitboxes now more closely following their mechs. Movement tweaks in the new patch also made mech movement smoother and have less popping or jittering, making it easier to follow them.

The first should fall under netcode, I believe.

#22 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

The state-rewinding work is next to complete, while the last patch improved weapon firing (because you are getting more movement updates) it doesn't truly address weapon firing accuracy. Collisions will eventually come back but don't expect them anytime soon, we want to bring them back when we can truly do them justice and make sure they come back in with much better balance than before.

#23 BlackBeltJones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostOrzorn, on 25 January 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

CryEngine update makes the game send packets faster and more often than before, negating the delay you used to see and feel from your weapons and enemy movements, as well as their hitboxes now more closely following their mechs. Movement tweaks in the new patch also made mech movement smoother and have less popping or jittering, making it easier to follow them.

The first should fall under netcode, I believe.

I understand the words but in my recent experience the only change I've seen is the floating Mechs. Everything else seems the same to me, though I am glad to hear many others may have a different experience.

#24 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 25 January 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Collisions will eventually come back but don't expect them anytime soon, we want to bring them back when we can truly do them justice and make sure they come back in with much better balance than before.

As long as we get our Highlander burials! :angry:

#25 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

The state-rewinding work is next to complete, while the last patch improved weapon firing (because you are getting more movement updates) it doesn't truly address weapon firing accuracy. Collisions will eventually come back but don't expect them anytime soon, we want to bring them back when we can truly do them justice and make sure they come back in with much better balance than before.

This plus...

Collisions are a gameplay mechanic. When brought back, they will have more depth, meaning, and strategy behind them.

#26 Heinreich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Wait... so the state-rewind thing isn't in yet? And here I thought it was already in. I just blew away a pair of lights in a game earlier using my atlas (separate fights, not at the same time) AND IT FELT GLORIOUS. I look forward to this new patch and hopefully collisions come back soon.

#27 Valder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationQQmercs.com

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

lol, Heinreich... you quote the dev's post that says:

don't expect them anytime soon

And then you say:

View PostHeinreich, on 25 January 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

hopefully collisions come back soon.

And it made me lol a little.

#28 Heinreich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

One can always hope? :angry:

#29 Cranky Poed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostRoaxis Stalomainis, on 24 January 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

Ah, would love to see the day I could curbstomp a Commando with an Atlas or Dragon again. :angry:

Gotta catch me first.

#30 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostRoaxis Stalomainis, on 24 January 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

Ah, would love to see the day I could curbstomp a Commando with an Atlas or Dragon again. :D

That day has come. :angry:

View PostCranky Poed, on 25 January 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

Gotta catch me first.

Don't need to catch you. Just have to hit you, which is gloriously easy nowadays. :unsure:

#31 Gregore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

If they bring back collisions can the cat get a tail? Really they need something to keep them on their feet every time a small breeze blows by them.

#32 Codejack

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

I'm sorry, someone said the netcode was better?! I must be playing the wrong game.

If/when the netcode ever gets better, we can talk about collisions.

#33 Cranky Poed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

View PostBilbo, on 25 January 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

Don't need to catch you. Just have to hit you, which is gloriously easy nowadays. :angry:

Yes! And thats a good thing.

I got Smashed by a Atlas while i was chasing a Light through the Brawl..I saw he was engaged with already so i thought it safe to pass in front of him, instead of going around his firing arc...bad mistake on my part...was a hellofa shot...scared the you know what outa me..

but i like lights..

#34 Anyone00

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 329 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Hopefully if knock down is put back in there will also be a 'staggered' state in between 'bumped into' and knocked down.

#35 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostRaidyr, on 25 January 2013 - 01:36 AM, said:

I sincerely hope collisions come back. As a Jenner pilot through most of beta, it was a hilariously easy to abuse mechanic to give my teammates easy alphas on disabled mechs.
That is exactly what I hope will never return. Whilst I am sure that you had lots of fun, stuff like this simply is not enjoyable for the opposing team. I don't know about all the other pilots, but I am here to shoot mechas, not play a silly game of football where I am supposed to assume that any and all enemies will try to tackle me even before they think of using their weapons.

My last two experiences in this regard shortly before collisions were removed were:
a ) dedicated teams of Lights where one would tackle the opponent, so the other could easily kill them
b ) speed-tweaked Lights ramming into opponents who were already busy with another enemy, coming in from an angle from which they could not even be spotted

I hope you can at least imagine how frustrating it is to be catapulted out of an engaging chase right into inactivity, where you can do nothing but lean back whilst buffed LRMs come flying in to shred your immobile paper armor. Being tackled was a death sentence, and it was way too easy to do, which prompted it to be used with an ever-increasing popularity as a standard tactic. I was glad it was removed back then, even though I still kind of miss its general principle due to my love for a degree of realism.

If tackling gets reintroduced (which I hope it will), it should only be possible to do so with heavier 'Mechs, whereas machines of equal or lighter weight merely result in a temporary loss of steering control (the BattleMech basically tumbling a few dozen meters before the pilot is able to steady it). It would be nice if the duration of knockdown and control loss could also be affected by Pilot Skills, but I fear the move away from actual pilot skills towards tech modules means this will not be an option, unless something like an "Improved Gyro" is introduced.

View PostCoralld, on 25 January 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

When they do put collision back in I hope they do a bit of adjustment to it were mechs only get knocked down by mechs of the same weight class or greater. This way "Jenner tackling" as it was called is no longer a problem. For those who were not around when knockdown was in, Jenner Tackling was when you could take a light mech, mostly a Jenner at that time, and use it to ram and knockdown mediums and some times heavies.
In other words "tackling is cool, as long as it's not possible to tackle me"?

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 25 January 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#36 Starburst

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

"Tackling" was never the intended final implementation of collisions. The devs stated this in closed beta. Bouncing around like bumper cars was more frustrating than fun.

When they bring back collisions, I'm hoping to see the possibility that if you try to ram a mech going 80 kph you're going get your arm sheared off.

#37 Darius Deadeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

I'd just like to take the time to say that this patch was FANTASTIC.

I was plagued by yellow block bug, fps bug, lag issues, black screen bug. Every 5-6 matches.

Now? Nothing :-) Just played for 4 hours straight, and it was a smooth ride.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users