Lrm's...lock?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Warspawn

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBack Home Again...In Indiana...

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

While in spectator, I can see the lock for LRM's. I took one out today that had them equipped and only had the regular targeting HUD. Is there a mod i have to buy to get the lock, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

~War~

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

If you mount LRMs you will get the locking icons, you do not require anything extra.

You have to TARGET (press R!) an enemy before you can collect an LRM lock.

If the enemy is under an ECM area of effect then you won't be able to effectively collect targetting information

Edited by Redshift2k5, 04 February 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#3 Warspawn

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBack Home Again...In Indiana...

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

aye, thanks! They had shut down...lost lock...baby steps here :D

#4 CmdrPoopyPants

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 376 posts
  • LocationOshkosh, WI

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Way too many people don't press R anywhere near enough. It's one of the most important things you can do in this game! As you note, you can't get a red circle lock and send in LRMs (or streaks) without first pressing R to get a lock (at range, that is).

I've noticed that if you don't have any targets selected and you start shooting at someone at close range, it _sometimes_ auto-locks for you, but that doesn't help for LRMs or finding out how far away targets are (you don't want to run WAAAAAAYYYYY over there to track down the enemy when there's one right over here). And you need that lock to see what state the enemy is in, and it helps decide which target to take down first (switch targets on your way in, focus on the one with the most damage first--usually!)

#5 Wun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

You can still fire LRMs ballistically without a target. The LRMs will simply arc and land where your target reticle is.

#6 CmdrPoopyPants

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 376 posts
  • LocationOshkosh, WI

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostWun, on 04 February 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

You can still fire LRMs ballistically without a target. The LRMs will simply arc and land where your target reticle is.

But that's a huge waste of missiles most of the time, and if they move you will miss them 100% of the time, but if you're locked the missiles follow them.

The only time I can see dumb firing LRMs is if you're trying to hit someone in the open that's sitting in an ECM bubble. Otherwise, you're just wasting ammo and giving away your position without doing anything of value against the other team.

#7 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:19 AM

Can you fire first then lock?

Will this allow missile to be dumb fire into the vicinity of your target and then you lock-on to your target, so he/she will only receive the incoming missile warning too late to respond. Will the missile change flight to hit the target?

In observer mode, I seen a few occasion of player dumb firing LRM and try to get a lock on the target later.

I never gave much thought to this until I start considering to get a TBT recently.

Edited by xengk, 21 February 2013 - 03:20 AM.

#8 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

View Postxengk, on 21 February 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

Can you fire first then lock?

Will this allow missile to be dumb fire into the vicinity of your target and then you lock-on to your target, so he/she will only receive the incoming missile warning too late to respond. Will the missile change flight to hit the target?

In observer mode, I seen a few occasion of player dumb firing LRM and try to get a lock on the target later.

I never gave much thought to this until I start considering to get a TBT recently.

Short answer NO.
Long answer is a sufficiently experienced pilot can lock, fire, LOSE lock intentionally and then re-acquire lock at the last second, this will get the missiles coming in from the side most of the time as they can do a sharp 90 degree turn when you re-acquire lock, this causes more missiles to hit the same area, thus increasing the effect of your shots.

#9 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

View PostAym, on 21 February 2013 - 06:09 AM, said:

Short answer NO.
Long answer is a sufficiently experienced pilot can lock, fire, LOSE lock intentionally and then re-acquire lock at the last second, this will get the missiles coming in from the side most of the time as they can do a sharp 90 degree turn when you re-acquire lock, this causes more missiles to hit the same area, thus increasing the effect of your shots.

thanks for the reply.
Guess I was observing a very skilled LRMboater.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

View PostAym, on 21 February 2013 - 06:09 AM, said:

It's true. I do this. And sometimes I get called a hacker. :lol:;

#11 Darknight99

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

I thought they fixed the the 90 degree arc in the last patch?

#12 KnowBuddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

Luke, you switched off your targeting computer. What's wrong?

#13 Grimm Gunn

• PipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 62 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis MO

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Targeting seems to be broken...
I cant lock onto any targets even with tag and LOS, even when thier only 200M out with no ECM in the area. It's been like this since the last patch.

#14 CmdrPoopyPants

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 376 posts
  • LocationOshkosh, WI

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Despite the fear of stating the obvious and insutling you.. are you pressing R to get the target in the big red brackets? .. It might be something with your client, but I've not been having problems getting locks on anything but ECM targets. Also realize, you can see that guy standing there with no ECM, but there might be something with ECM behind the building/hill/etc next to him. Much less likely at 200m, but still possible..

Edited by CmdrPoopyPants, 21 February 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

View PostGrimm Gunn, on 21 February 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

Targeting seems to be broken...
I cant lock onto any targets even with tag and LOS, even when thier only 200M out with no ECM in the area. It's been like this since the last patch.

Sometimes you may need to target them more than once if the red box/bracket isn't appearing. After all you still hear "Targeting" but no brackets, correct? Do it a second time if necessary. Bit of a bug.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users