Marik Mass Drop Last Night On Comstar

67 replies to this topic

#21 Karl Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

Yeah it's actually really cool how we go about it. We get like 40 people in the same TS channel. WE make sure we are all solo and then all 40 of us sync drop. The teams are random everytime and we usually end up fighting each other. It's a lot of fun.

#22 Chili

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, NH

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

Please check us out if your around on Monday and maybe now our new Thunderous Thursdays!!! :)
Chili

#23 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

Quoted from the response to your PM:

"And beyond that- even individuals on teamspeak who syncdrop and end up in the same game become de facto groups. (You don't have to be in a Front End established group to be in a group in match.)"

#24 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

I think I saw you guys last night. Tons of Marik tags in the screen, a lot more chatter than normal. It was fun.

It's a social game. It's not single-player. There is a world of difference between organized teams of players trying to drop together in order to have a 'tactical edge' and a big group of people wanting to play in big stompy robots together.

This is a good example of what WMO should be in a casual sense, I'm all for it and it sounds like a great idea. TS or not players communicating with players makes the game more enjoyable. Joking, playing in chat, god forbid organizing in your own team a bit even, it's all good stuff.

Good on you House Marik. Organizing players to have fun together is more than team training, all due props for focusing on fun for a night. The whole game is better for that kind of thing.

#25 Buzzkillin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

This sounds kinda fun

#26 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 08 February 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

I think I saw you guys last night. Tons of Marik tags in the screen, a lot more chatter than normal. It was fun.

It's a social game. It's not single-player. There is a world of difference between organized teams of players trying to drop together in order to have a 'tactical edge' and a big group of people wanting to play in big stompy robots together.

This is a good example of what WMO should be in a casual sense, I'm all for it and it sounds like a great idea. TS or not players communicating with players makes the game more enjoyable. Joking, playing in chat, god forbid organizing in your own team a bit even, it's all good stuff.

Good on you House Marik. Organizing players to have fun together is more than team training, all due props for focusing on fun for a night. The whole game is better for that kind of thing.

Let me put this out there: I personally have no issue with groups in a team game. (I pretty much refuse to play without at least 2 others in a group.. unless I'm realllly craving Mech and nobody is on.)

However: given the current flavor of the forums regarding comms group vs random pubs: It wasn't wise for the house to advertise doing it- and doing it with potentially more than the fourman against potentially all pugs..

It wasn't wise, and I pointed it out. (not that I think of Marik any less.)

#27 ElliottTarson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 165 posts
  • LocationSomewhere close enough, but far enough away.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 08 February 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

Let me put this out there: I personally have no issue with groups in a team game. (I pretty much refuse to play without at least 2 others in a group.. unless I'm realllly craving Mech and nobody is on.)

However: given the current flavor of the forums regarding comms group vs random pubs: It wasn't wise for the house to advertise doing it- and doing it with potentially more than the fourman against potentially all pugs..

I think you're just not getting it. with 35 people, even all hitting launch at the same time, most will NOT be in the same games, let alone on the same teams. More likely than not, it was just complete chaos on TS with everyone talking at once. I've done mass drops with friends like that before, and they're the most fun we, and the pugs who we wound up with/against, have had so far in MWO.

#28 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Live please re-read what we're doing and get a grasp on it. We are grabbing people en-masse and dropping at the same time, virtually ensuring and even split of "teams" and "TS3" players per side. It's almost exactly like before we had ANY match-making and we would frequently drop in groups of 16 and split when the game put us on teams.

#29 Dagger6T6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationcockpit

What time was all this going on? I was milling around the NGNG TS3 server after the podcast, diddling in the mech lab, browsing the MWO forums and dropping in a few solo matches but how did I miss this? LOL I guess I was not paying close attention

Edit: OH because I can't read... it was on the Comstar TS3... haha. Hope you guys do this again... sounds like a gasser

Edited by Dagger6T6, 08 February 2013 - 09:27 AM.

#30 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

A very good point, but let me play devils advocate.

The problem isn't 'premades stomping pugs'. This is a misconception players have created for themselves.

The human brain is a crafty little ******. It detects patterns, even things that aren't actually there. It looks for answers and explanations to question and if there are not clear answers available it attempts to create them from the available data.

We also want to think that things are 'fair'. Also, almost universally we believe we are 'above average'. I won't bore you with the psychology but these two points are ones that without careful consideration our little noodles will attempt to work into the first point. It will attempt to justify why something was 'unfair', hence wrong/inappropriate/cheating and it will do so from the basis of the idea that we are above average.

Hence pugs inflate the perceived premades that play to justify losses when in fact it's poor teamwork on our own team and not incredible teamwork on the other that sways most matches.

Premades, conversely, assume there are more premade teams out there because they are just amazing players and win a lot because, well, even against skilled opponents they are going to win most the time.

I strongly, strongly suspect the reality is that premades are around 20% to 30% of drops averaged out (more at peak time) and most of those are just friends dropping together, not teamspeak using ubersquads.

Part of what adds into this though is that you don't know who the premade teams are. This conflates the issues, people assume that if they lost the other team must be a premade ninja squad of DDDDDDOOOOOMMMMM!!!!! or else they wouldn't have lost, right?

You want to change the attitudes on the forums about premades vs pugs?

If you're a premade, make it clear when you drop and just try to ignore the dicks. If someone tries to TK you, report them. I trust and respect PGI to deal with that accordingly. They're professionals and I've yet to see anything to make me think otherwise. Make it clear though and just be cool - win or lose. Someone has to take the high road when you want to bring the caliber and quality of a community up and there's only so much the cool pugs can do.

Make this stuff public. There's nothing to hide, this was an awesome idea and I'm glad everyone had fun. I'd encourage them to use chat more too, so the rest of us can play so to speak. We're not just testing a game we're helping build a community. That takes a bit of work to do well but I think it's worth it.

#31 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostAym, on 08 February 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

Live please re-read what we're doing and get a grasp on it. We are grabbing people en-masse and dropping at the same time, virtually ensuring and even split of "teams" and "TS3" players per side. It's almost exactly like before we had ANY match-making and we would frequently drop in groups of 16 and split when the game put us on teams.

I read it correctly the first time-

I know it must have been a blast for the people on TS3...
What about the randoms in those matches.. You know there has been at least 1-2.. who get focused and downed by coordinated fire. (this being the argument of a chunk of the forums for anti-group in random game.)

#32 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 08 February 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

This is a misconception players have created for themselves.

Single most important piece regarding what I'm talking about.

Whether it is true or not does not matter. The Misconception is cause for distaste.. and when an individual speaks out (whether by challenge or by example).. the only person at risk for bad publicity is the individual.. in this case- it's the house.

#33 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 08 February 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

I read it correctly the first time-

I know it must have been a blast for the people on TS3...
What about the randoms in those matches.. You know there has been at least 1-2.. who get focused and downed by coordinated fire. (this being the argument of a chunk of the forums for anti-group in random game.)

There was not enough coordination for us to focus fire very well. 35+ people in a channel, maybe 5 or 6 different matches running at once. There was more smack-talk and joking than there was teamwork.

I had a great time last night, will definitely be back for more.

#34 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 08 February 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

There was not enough coordination for us to focus fire very well. 35+ people in a channel, maybe 5 or 6 different matches running at once. There was more smack-talk and joking than there was teamwork.

I had a great time last night, will definitely be back for more.

Truth matters little compared perception.. that is my WHOLE point.

"Group" and "Teamspeak" are hotbutton words.

#35 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

I kill people with focus fire as a pug all the time. Often as I can. I can throw a letter up in chat pretty quickly, or even just see who everyone is shooting and follow along.

I'd say it's good publicity. Good on Marik for being clear and honest about having fun as a group. You shouldn't act like something is wrong when it isn't, that just feeds into the issue.

#36 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 08 February 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

Truth matters little compared perception.. that is my WHOLE point.

"Group" and "Teamspeak" are hotbutton words.

And people just need to get the "f" over it... and themselves.

Just because the limp-wristed whiners choose to not play this game as intended, and scream about "unfair" and spurious alleged "exploits", regarding people who do want to play this game, as designed(in teams), is no reason to pay them any consideration whatsoever.

Let em whine and QQ, and don't give them any heed. Don't modify your own behaviors just because they might go all hyperbole about it. Revel in their angst. Poke the rabbit when it bares its teeth, and laugh at it when it "squee"s at you from the hole it's digging to hide in. -_-

#37 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

View PostKunae, on 08 February 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

Just because the limp-wristed whiners choose to not play this game as intended, and scream about "unfair" and spurious alleged "exploits", regarding people who do want to play this game, as designed(in teams), is no reason to pay them any consideration whatsoever.

40 people on TS server synch dropping solo is the way the game was meant to be played. Got it.

#38 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

so many haters

#39 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

If ya wanna be a pug go play COD.
"It's all about the C-Bills baby"

#40 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

View PostKunae, on 08 February 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

And people just need to get the "f" over it... and themselves.

People also need to be constructive and level-headed on the internet.. I wonder which will happen first.

Neither.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users