Any Interest In A "stock Variants Only" Game Mode?

169 replies to this topic

Poll: "Stock variants only" game mode? (500 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you be interested in a "stock variants only" game mode?

1. Yes (361 votes [72.20%])

Percentage of vote: 72.20%

2. No (139 votes [27.80%])

Percentage of vote: 27.80%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SerEdvard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

I don't know how fun this would be or if I would even play it myself, but I thought it would be interesting to poll the MWO community...

Would you be interested in a "stock variants only" game mode? (i.e., no mech lab customizations)

Edited by SerEdvard, 12 February 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#2 RiceyFighter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

I like to call that mode, HardCore mode~

#3 Orgasmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

Yeah I'm up for it, as long as the C-bill and XP rewards are a little better than average games.

#4 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

hell yea

If your running stock, the games will run longer because you'll run out of ammo and have to rely on your small or medium lasers to fight.

There'll be no crying about how OP any particular mech is.

It will be more balanced overall.

#5 Faldrin

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

Yeah think it would be a good game type.

#6 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

View PostRiceyFighter, on 12 February 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

I like to call that mode, HardCore mode~

more like simulation mode as oppossed to the arcade we have now.

#7 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

No, and if they were to add one, all the people who cried they wanted stock to get away from the cheese and min-max won't use it, simply because said min-maxers would roll them in stock mechs, too.

#8 CrashieJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

battletech mode?

yes, and I'll be in a stock K2 MGing it up... you'll probably walk away with more armor than you came in with.

View PostVassago Rain, on 12 February 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

No, and if they were to add one, all the people who cried they wanted stock to get away from the cheese and min-max won't use it, simply because said min-maxers would roll them in stock mechs, too.

stock atlai, stock atlai EVERYWHERE

#9 anonymous175

• Bad Company
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

sure, be neat to try with the non doubled original values too

#10 BluefireMW

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

I think it would be a good idea on the Training Grounds to be added, that the real 'newbies' can fight with each other and are not shot to pieces in seconds by trained players.

It should be clear, that that is just training for a small group of players, because you leave one great part besides. To build the better mech for one self.

Perhaps 4 by 4, could level that out to help that the ammo reaches to the end of battle and the map could be smaller, that the opponents meet each other.

It should also be just 3025 Variants with no better equip, because such a mech, would be like centuries ahead.

Edited by BluefireMW, 12 February 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#11 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostBluefireMW, on 12 February 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

I think it would be a good idea on the Training Grounds to be added, that the real 'newbies' can fight with each other and are not shot to pieces in seconds by trained players.

It should be clear, that that is just training for a small group of players, because you leave one great part besides. To build the better mech for one self.

Perhaps 4 by 4, could level that out to help that the ammo reaches to the end of battle and the map could be smaller, that the opponents meet each other.

It should also be just 3025 Variants with no better equip, because such a mech, would be like centuries ahead.

Dude.
I don't know if you know this, and you probably don't, but you train to take on the big leagues, not for the backyard. Kinda defeats the purpose of training with something, then the whole game doesn't even play by those rules, yeah?

#12 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

I wouldn't like it if they just ditched the mechlab all together but as a mode sure why not. But I'm not super familiar with stock builds, is there going to be balance or are certain mechs just going to crush all the others? If thats the case maybe they could just make up certain mech configurations (that aren't horrible) that everybody has to run in that mode, and maybe change it up every couple of weeks or something.

#13 Dr Killinger

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

If stock variant's heat was brought into line so that it's actually manageable, yes.

#14 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

View Postdario03, on 12 February 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

I wouldn't like it if they just ditched the mechlab all together but as a mode sure why not. But I'm not super familiar with stock builds, is there going to be balance or are certain mechs just going to crush all the others? If thats the case maybe they could just make up certain mech configurations (that aren't horrible) that everybody has to run in that mode, and maybe change it up every couple of weeks or something.

Yes, the good stock mechs will crush all others, and the people who whined that we needed a stock mode will go back to ghetto grinding.

#15 Merky Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 871 posts
  • LocationRidin down the street in my 6-4

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

Using the sub par stock variants when some are easily superior to others sounds fun. Or wait....
Posted Image

#16 Pr8Dator

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

Well, stock variants are broken in this game due to the fact that weapons fire many times faster than in TT with about triple the armor values (forcing you to shoot even more) but TT single heatsink values and lesser than TT DHS values. This results in stock variants being nothing but overheating machines as we have all experienced so far... almost completely useless. Stock variants can only be played if weapons firing rate went to TT (1 shot per 10 seconds), which is impossible, or triple up on heatsink efficiency (something that can be done... but they won't).

#17 FiveDigits

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

Missile boats that can fire 12 volleys before running dry, 14 rounds in your Atlas's or Hunchback's AC20 ... sounds like fun ... not.

#18 lsp

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

Nope, the reason I bought founders in the first place was because of this, I did the "grind" one time and decided when they wiped my stuff again I was never going to do it again. playing with mechs you aren't allowed to customize is like not even playing mechwarrior.

#19 Jonathan Paine

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

Yes, I'd like a game mode that lets me try to master the often weird load outs of stock mechs facing other stock mechs.

#20 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

yep, would be interesting to play a mode where it depends really on wise decissions rather than high-alpha builds (well actually wise decissions still beat high-alpha builds,but anyway^^) :)
as long as it is an option, fine with me...

View PostFiveDigits, on 13 February 2013 - 12:35 AM, said:

Missile boats that can fire 12 volleys before running dry, 14 rounds in your Atlas's or Hunchback's AC20 ... sounds like fun ... not.

they could set the armor value to "canon" for that mode - or at least close to it^^

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 13 February 2013 - 01:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users