Why Kurita?

26 replies to this topic

#1 Visyac Cephias

• PipPipPip
  • Storm
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSpace

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

So. After puttering about in a fat hunchback for a while, I've decided I"d like to inject a little meaning into my robo slug-fest. As such, I'm going to each of the factions to get the "word" on what makes them so worthy of my robotic affiliation, and what the shiny holographic display on my dash board should show.

First up was Davion (which apparently should make you mad), where I learned that they are white knights with an affinity for ballistics arrogance (which is a turn off for me), and a decreasing literacy level the further you get from the core worlds.

What I know about you, you deliciously black serpent you, is that your traditional seen as a "bad guy". Having perused the history of the Wolf Dragoons (its a long story, you would not like to hear it) I arrived at the conclusion that your....well....a bit of an equestrian posterior to put it politely. Not that that's a BAD thing, it's just a lifestyle choice that I can look past if someone made a convincing argument.

I'd like to know what the main points of House Kurita are, more or less the central things I should identify as being intrinsically Kuritan.

Also, the Davions called dibs on the Maruder's creation. I'd like to know what your response of ownership is.

#2 Kyone Akashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

Ohayo, and welcome. Would you care for some sake?

What makes the Draconis Combine unique amongst the Successor States is its people. From the lowliest worker to the elite samurai of the DCMS, all benefit from the values and traditions that bind society, creating an unparalleled sense of unity where each and every citizen knows their place, up to the honored Coordinator himself. Some say that this unity is similar to the serfdom of the Capellan Confederation's citizens, but this would be an inexperienced gaijin's misjudgement at best, or foul Fedrat Davion propaganda at worst. No, the bonds between our people are not merely the result of fear from reprisal, but rather proper education and enlightenment instilling a sense of purpose that few in the Inner Sphere may yet enjoy, for we do not simply serve some noble, but everyone, even the Coordinator, serves an ideal. This is what one means when they talk of "the Dragon", for this means the nation as a whole, its people, its territories, and most of all its spirit.

Loyalty, cooperation, respect, wisdom, and valor - these are the pillars of our society, and the driving force behind the realm's inception and its continueing expansion. We value honor and tradition, following the ancient code of bushido. Whereas the troops of other military forces throughout the Inner Sphere may care only for c-bills or whatever currency they hire themselves out for, the soldiers of the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery, and first and foremost its revered MechWarriors, treat warfare as a way of life, to be perfected like the artisan would endeavor to perfect a statue, for perfection in everything is the goal of every man and woman in the realm.

In fact, you will find that many samurai pursue a variety of peacetime activities intended to focus their mind, from composing haiku to painting vases, all in an attempt to gain greater control over their self, for each of us strives to achieve mushin - that state of perfect intuition, the mind without mind, where the warrior becomes one with the tools they use.

It is this edge, as well as the boundless dedication to the cause of the Dragon and the many years of training that go into each of our warriors, that have made the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery a force respected and feared by its enemies throughout the Inner Sphere.

If certain outside elements would label us "the bad guy", then it is because they do not know or do not understand our ways. As every warrior knows, giri (duty) must come before ninjo (compassion), and at times a soldier is compelled to follow orders he or she may not agree with. Many people have heard about the Kentares Massacre, for example, where a grieving son had ordered his troops to carry out his revenge on the innocent people of the world where his father was murdered. The propaganda machine of House Davion has made sure that this is common knowledge. However, how many people know the number of samurai who committed seppuku after the act, unable to live with the shame they have brought upon their honor?

We are not a perfect people. But we strive to be, and this is certainly more than could be said about the decadent perverts of the Federated Suns or the greedy capitalists of the Lyran Alliance.

So, if you believe that piloting a BattleMech is not merely a "job" but a way of life, if you know the values of honor and tradition, and if you think you can do your ancestors proud, then the Combine shall extend its hand and beckon you to join us under the Dragon's banner, to once more unite the splintered people of the Inner Sphere under a great, new Star League under the wise leadership of the Great House Kurita. This is our cause. This is our life. And this is our manifest destiny.

Posted Image

PS:

View PostVisyac Cephias, on 19 February 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

Also, the Davions called dibs on the Maruder's creation. I'd like to know what your response of ownership is.
How about a salvo of LRMs?

Everybody knows the Marauder was invented by a Japanese anime studio... *ducks and runs* :lol:

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 19 February 2013 - 11:26 PM.

#3 Kdogg788

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

Absolutely well put. It can't be better stated.

-k

#4 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

Very well put indeed.

As for what we can boast of in regards to battlemechs of Combine origin, well, the Dragon may originally have been designed for (and turned down by) the Star League Defense Force, but the Grand Dragon, a significant improvement on the original, is a Draconis design through and through.

The Hatamoto series of mechs are also Draconis made, having taken the much maligned Charger as a starting point from which to make these new designs.

The Jenner is a Draconis mech, and one of the most commonly seen light machines in our forces next to Panthers, another Draconis design.

In 3048 the Draconis Combine introduced the 90 ton Mauler to the universe (you may have seen it on the box of MW 2: Mercenaries)

If we jump ahead into 3055 then the Combine will have introduced other designs such as the Daikyu, the Daimyo and the Komodo.

Also: We have Theodore Kurita. That trumps everything. ;)

#5 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

We are the Arm of the Dragon, the shining samurai of the Draconis Combine. It is the destiny of the House Kurita to rule the Inner Sphere.

#6 Rauchsauger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

Posted Image

#7 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

Sorry guys, I had to:
Posted Image
:)

#8 Sealawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationBuckminster City, Buckminster Prefecture

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostVisyac Cephias, on 19 February 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

What I know about you, you deliciously black serpent you, is that your traditional seen as a "bad guy". Having perused the history of the Wolf Dragoons (its a long story, you would not like to hear it) I arrived at the conclusion that your....well....a bit of an equestrian posterior to put it politely. Not that that's a BAD thing, it's just a lifestyle choice that I can look past if someone made a convincing argument.

You could say history is written by the victors. But, in this case, history was written by the side with the better propaganda masters.

House Kurita desires nothing but peace and to be left alone, but is constantly forced into war by Davion and Stiener. We willingly in the name of peace gave up and created the FRR when all Stiener wished for was war. They would have you believe otherwise. Sometimes the shinning knight is a cover up for something much more disgusting. It hides a decrepit pit of deceit and lies. Remember the saying never trust a Stiener, always shoot a Davie on sight.

#9 Fireborn

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 29 posts
  • LocationColorado, and right behind you!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Visyac,

Do you seek a direction? Then others will tell you where to go.

But if you seek a purpose, your path will be evident.

#10 Visyac Cephias

• PipPipPip
  • Storm
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSpace

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Great responses guys, loving the flavor here.

What I see:
-Lots of honor, buckets, I can see it pouring out of you ears and nose like a waterfall over Niagara with the desire to achieve excellence.
-A desire to improve the overall nation, like a single organism, as best represented by the dragon's solidarity on the banner.
-"I am the dragon!" could work as a badass battlecry, and I can defiantly pick up the general feel of the Kurita military and culture through this.
-Haven't played as the Dragon a bunch, but the Jenner is DEFIANTLY my favorite scout mech.

However I feel like simply devoting oneself to "perfection" is a bit of a nebulous goal, and aspiring to be learn to expunge all sense of self in an attempt to become a mere extension of a tool is... questionable in its implications. Usually when a faction extols such virtues, they belief of them begins to lessen the further up the command chain you go, with those who reside atop the dragon's head serving as the true control of the body, to the point of seeing themselves as of greater intrinsic value than others. So the selfishness of a few individuals becomes the rallying cry of those who trust the virtues of the system.
But meh, it's robo-land, what ya gonna do? Flaws are intrinsic.

Have a better respect for Kurita now, and I'll never need to worry about bland characters If I pick em, we'll see what happens.
(also that propaganda poster at the end of the post was a nice touch)

#11 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:27 AM

To expand on my above post, and this time in a less "indoctrinated" manner ... :P

Devotion to perfection is indeed nebulous, but I suppose it works if you regard it as a greater sense and appreciation for detail and skill. Take traditional Japanese housing or clothes, for example. Works of art, yet so widespread that they have become part of daily life and expected - in turn "upping the bar" for contemporary artists. I would also say that perhaps the journey is almost more important than the goal itself, if it can ever be reached. We all strive to be better at something, even if it's just becoming better at playing MWO. It's the competitive nature of mankind, and the satisfaction we take away from success. Plus, many of the pastimes undertaken by Kurita characters, or Feudal Japanese in general, also seem to have a meditative and calming character. Moments of true peace in-between the intense fights during a war. It's all about the balance.
Plus, there's something to be said about the badass MechWarrior who paints vases or composes haikus in his spare time. :)

I also think that this creates a very interesting contrast, for you get to see these traditional aspects co-exist with high technology like BattleMechs, and have nigh-dystopian concrete slums of worker barracks erected right next to an Edo-period style Japanese castle. Talk about clash of the cultures! And still the writers somehow manage to make it sound fitting. It's an intrigueing blend, to say the least, and yet another reason for why I like this faction.

Posted Image

As for the selfishness, that is indeed true, and the Draconis Combine's history is full of characters who have abused the loyalty of their underlings in this fashion. Take the Kentares Massacre I already mentioned in my first post, for example.

An in-character excerpt from the official Draconis Combine Field Manual:

Spoiler

Right now, the Draconis Combine is slowly beginning to change in accordance to Theodore's reforms. This means new blood being granted opportunities that used to be barred by tradition, as well as hardliners grumbling about change and how things used to be better in the old days. Not to mention Theodore's coup with Rasalhague where he essentially forced his father to grant independence to what is now the FRR, transforming a hotbed of insurrection into an ally of the realm and a puffer against Lyran aggression, all the while gaining some pieces of Star League tech as a cherry on top. Yet, pockets of unrest, insecurity, and a newfound spirit of optimism are found across the Combine, which makes the era chosen for this game even more interesting for Kurita players concerned about character background possibilities, or even roleplaying!
There is also a secret society called Kokuryu-kai (Black Dragon), in the current era led by powerful industrialists, criminals and corrupt military officers, seeks to work against the Coordinator because they believe they have a better idea of how the realm is to be run. And at least some of them genuinely believe they're doing the realm a favor.

The ironic part is that the nature of the realm's identity as "The Dragon" also means that the Coordinator is, in theory, as replaceable as the conspirators who feel he is harming the nation. At the same time, they are still bound by a twisted sense of honor that demands them to not attack the Coordinator directly but rather put the blame on his advisors - whose role is indeed partially to take the fall for things going wrong so as to preserve the Coordinator's reputation from being tarnished. So, at the upper levels of society, there is a lot of politics going on, just as anywhere else in the Inner Sphere. Perhaps even more dirty, albeit shrouded in a veil of respect and weird traditions. In a way, this makes the setting all the more interesting, I think. It would be boring if it'd all be black and white, would it not?

The good news, however, is that the current heir to the Chrysanthemum Throne, Theodore Kurita, is a very awesome character who can easily stand up to any of the other Successor Lords. Right now, he is still Kanrei (Deputy of Military Affairs) and will not replace his more traditional father for a couple years, but in my opinion he is one of the best characters the setting has ever produced, and technically he is already our boss (as he has effective command over the DCMS).

Theodore had a rough youth in that his father was never satisfied with his accomplishments, which led to the two of them growing estranged from one another, up to the point that the current Coordinator Takashi Kurita feared his son would attempt to assassinate and replace him. In truth, Theodore being exiled to the far end of the Combine and entrusted with an "alibi-command" over a ragtag band of ill-supplied misfits, the 11th Legion of Vega, merely served to further shape his character as a man driven by his commitments to the people under his leadership. Succeeding to reform the Legion into an actual fighting unit with a modicum of discipline, he led the unit into a number of successful fights and slowly gathered a reputation amongst the troops, as well as a very loyal following. In addition, his "rebellous phase" under his father (which also led him to take the name Theodore rather than a more traditional Japanese name) made him a rather progressive man defying some of the more questionable traditions, and he implemented many reforms both in his time as Kanrei and when he became Coordinator.

Posted Image

This is really a great time to be a Kurita, for I think Theodore easily ranks amongst the most interesting Battletech characters one could possibly read about. Not only does he have an actual and tangible development throughout his life - which you can follow throughout several novels set many years apart from one another - but this is again a (future) Coordinator whose intentions are pure. Yes, sometimes, every thousand years or so, when the stars set in a specific constellation, even a Successor State may have a ruler who actually cares about his people. :ph34r:
That's not to say that Takashi Kurita was selfish. From what I have read about him, he too made a lot of sacrifices for the state. He just did not shy back from backroom deals and manipulation like any other politician. He even hates doing so, but regards it as a necessity of the job, in order to preserve stability. Theodore on the other hand does not care for such conventions. Perhaps that is why he makes almost as many enemies as he makes friends throughout his career. And perhaps that is why father and son never quite got along with each other, the former seeing the latter as naive, and the latter not wanting to accept that things cannot be done in a better way. It is a very interesting play, to say the least.

A moment that I found really touching was in the novel "Black Dragon", which plays in the year 3058, in a scene just after an attempted assassination on Theodore, who is Coordinator of the Draconis Combine by then:

Spoiler

:blush:

The best of all is that this isn't just stuff written up for a single novel, but events that happen across years - and really make you feel for the character. I also like his small "inner circle" of loyal companions, most of whom go way back to his youth, including people he got to know in the Legion of Vega or in the DCMS Academy or his father's court. One of them, Tomoe Sakade, even ends up becoming his wife, yet without ever stopping to be a DCMS MechWarrior. Her eventual end that sees her name etched into the Great Wall on Luthien, next to the many other samurai who fell as great leaders is particularly tragic, yet oh-so-fitting in a bittersweet way. For some reason, the outwardly calm and balanced Draconis Combine is very emotional under the surface, or at least can have that effect on a reader.

If you want a novel suggestion, get "Heir of the Dragon". It chronicles Theodore's life from childhood at the court in Luthien, through his time at the Academy, to his command over the Legion of Vega, right up to where he asserts his power as Kanrei and begins his reforms of the DCMS. Mid-book, he almost has Han Solo-like qualities, yet always retains a certain "gentleman's standard" in his dealings with other people. I also like how Tomoe, by that time his 2nd in command, begins acting like a sidekick as Theodore steals a JumpShip from the Lyrans to get off a besieged world:

Spoiler

:D

But enough of my adoration for Theodore-sama ... I just thought I should bring him up so you see what kind of character actually gets to sit at the top of Combine hierarchy.

Another character you might like is Minobu Tetsuhara - a black samurai (really goes to show how mixed society has become in the far future!) and an excellent example of a Combine MechWarrior. He appears both in Heir to the Dragon as well as in Wolves on the Border, and you get to read a lot about "a day in the life" of a samurai in the latter - Minobu likes to paint vases and practice kyudo (archery), and there are quite a few scenes where the reader gets to witness this, which I feel adds a nice sense of completeness to the character as well as the novel as a whole. Goes back to the balance thing I mentioned earlier... can't all be about blowing things up, after all. ;)

Posted Image

Well, so much for novel recommendations and a brief touch upon the darker side of the Draconis Combine!

Oh, and I approve of your affection for the Jenner, by the way! Even though I'd point out it is more of a skirmisher than a scout 'Mech. It can of course perform in a multitude of tasks all depending on the loadout you pick, but the heavy innate weaponry as well as the DCMS's favorite tactic for Jenners (hit&run strikes on heavier machines) are telling.
Don't take that the wrong way, it has just become a bit of a habit for me to point this out whenever someone mentions "Jenner" and "scout" in the same sentence - there's soo many people on this forum who believe that Lights should stay out of a fight. And that I cannot accept. You could say I feel insulted in my samurai honor! :P

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 23 February 2013 - 03:43 AM.

#12 Visyac Cephias

• PipPipPip
  • Storm
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSpace

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

So Kurita also has some cool characters to go along with it, interesting. Complex characters are a pet attraction of mine. But a question that has occurred to me, and something I should probably have asked sooner, regards a comment someone else made.

View PostSealawyer, on 20 February 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

House Kurita desires nothing but peace and to be left alone, but is constantly forced into war by Davion and Stiener.

What exactly is your relation to the other houses? And why do you have those relationships?
What sort of rivalries should I expect?

#13 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Our classic rivals/enemies are the Lyran Commonwealth (House Steiner) and the Federated Suns (House Davion) because, well, those are the ones we've always shared our borders with for centuries. Currently there is a bit of a buffer zone between the Lyrans and the Combine in the form of the Free Rasalhague Republic which was formed from worlds given up by both the Commonwealth and the Combine. This means there is somewhat less tension on the Lyran border (what remains of it) which again turns the FedSuns into our primary enemy (until the clans arrive of course). The Suns and the Combine have been trading border worlds back and forth since the fall of the Star League and any sort of overtures towards peace tend to go over very poorly with the people in the affected areas. The people of the Draconis March of the Federated Suns are, for example, probably amongst the most anti-DC people you will find in the Inner Sphere. All in all the Draconis Combine probably respects the military of the Federated Suns more than they do the Lyrans, much because the Lyrans have had a long history of a well equipped, but badly led military thanks to having a lot of so called social generals who got their rank due to connections and money rather than skill. This has been changing in the last 25 years, but old impressions die hard, and the Suns are still seen as the greatest danger to the Combine.

Our relationship with the FRR is, for the time being, one of peace. They serve as mentioned as a useful buffer between us and the Lyran part of the Federated Commonwealth, and during the Ronin Wars where rogue elements of the DCMS tried to reclaim the FRR for the Combine the Kanrei actually declared said units ronin and sent the DCMS to help the FRR and take down the traitors for defying the will of the Dragon. Still, with all the time spent under Combine rule it would be less than honest to say the FRR _likes_ us, even after we gave them their freedom and helped defend them against our own countrymen.

As for the Free Worlds League and the Capellan Commonwealth they were both part of the Concord of Kapetyn with the DC, an alliance meant to be a counterweight to the joining of the Lyrans and FedSuns into the Federated Commonwealth. That never really amounted to a whole lot, however. Not having any borders with the two realms there's not much in the way of hostility towards them, but for the most part neither do we really think of them much at all beyond trade. The FWL in particular is probably next to the Lyrans the biggest trade economy in the Inner Sphere and so we have more to do with them than with the Capellans (not to mention the League isn't run by a raving madwoman like Romano Liao).

We also have a bit of a relationship with Comstar who did not like the idea of the Federated Commonwealth and saw the Combine as one of the few things which could the brakes on Hanse Davion's runaway ambitions.

#14 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Comstar gave us a lot of tech recently in the deal Theodore made to create the FRR.

#15 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

It is the Combine's manifest destiny to reunite humanity under the banner of a reborn Star League, with Lord Kurita at its head. So of course whilst we would prefer peace, the stubborn resistance of the other Successor Houses tends to force our hand. :P
Though, to be fair, the last big war was indeed forced upon the Combine, as was the lesser War of 3039. If it had not been for Theodore and his risky yet ultimately successful ploy of faking strength by a desperate and speedy counterattack, the latter could have ended much worse for the Combine.

Regarding Inter-House relationships, the most important ones would be these:
  • Federated Suns (Davion): Primary enemy, chiefly because Davion has shattered so many of the Combine's plans in the past and its military is regarded as an actual threat. AFFS MechWarriors are accorded a sort of grudging respect due to their training and experience, and First Prince Hanse Davion is a clever opponent, as Coordinator Takashi Kurita admitted in private conversation.
  • Lyran Commonwealth (Steiner): An economic powerhouse, with a large but handicapped military. The 2nd arch-enemy of the Draconis Combine after Davion, and a continueing thorn in its side. The FedCom Union of 3022 was regarded as the worst possible thing that could happen, as it added the Lyrans' economical power to Davion military knowhow.
  • Free Rasalhague Republic: Officially the "friendly neighbor" of the Draconis Combine. Once conquered and suppressed, then granted independence to achieve the double-effect of freeing up desperately needed DCMS garrison forces bound by anti-insurrection ops as well as basically forcing the Lyrans to surrender most of the worlds they captured during the Fourth Succession War to the FRR, thereby creating a buffer between the Combine and the Lyran half of the Federated Commonwealth. There are many hardliners who disagree with the decision to grant independence, especially after DCMS samurai fought and died to conquer it in the first place, but simultaneously this move has shifted many Rasalhague's peoples' view of the Combine from barely tolerated oppressor to valued benefactor, although some tensions remain due to the past (there were some Anti-Japanese riots shortly after the DCMS left, later suppressed by the government). This is most evident in the Elected Prince of that realm still awarding the Starburst of Rasalhague, originally a DCMS medal, to "Combine soldiers who saved the lives of Rasalhague citizens or otherwise served the republic in extraordinary fashion". I don't think there is any other nation in the Inner Sphere that awards medals to DCMS soldiers, aside from Rasalhague and the Combine itself.
  • Capellan Confederation (Liao): Distant pseudo-ally. There is not much that connects the two realms - were it not for the fact that the Federated Suns is situated right between them. Neither House would trust the other farther than the range of an LRM, but each one knows of the value of cooperation in the face of such a dangerous enemy as the monolithic FedCom. For a long time, Liao has attempted to convince Kurita of a hypothetical Pan-Asian Alliance, but did not meet with much success due to the prevaling distrust. Still, there have been a number of trades and technology transfers, and both realms signed the Kapteyn Accords in order to better counter the threat posed by the Federated Commonwealth.
  • Free Worlds League (Marik): Not much to say here, way too much distance between them and (to my knowledge) no notable mutual history. However, Marik was a signatory of the Kapteyn Accords as well.
The opinion of the average Combine troops and citizens regarding who is their worst enemy also depends on the District they serve and live in, though. For example, as per the A Time of War RPG, characters from the Galedon District would hate Davion, yet characters hailing from the Pest District would grow up disliking Steiner more.

Also, check out this sneak peek from the upcoming Handbook House Kurita, which talks a bit about interstellar relations. :)

Lastly, an oft-forgotten aspect of the Draconis Combine that has not yet been talked about in this thread is the existence of certain cultural sub-groups within the realm. For example, the Azami are people of Arab origin who are allowed a certain degree of self-governance on their worlds in exchange for the loyalty of their military, the so-called Arkab Legions. Also, there are lots of Koreans who are spread all across the Combine but share an ancient network of contacts and mutual assistance called the Tosei-fan, or Voice of the East Syndicate.

... damn, too slow. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 23 February 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#16 Kdogg788

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Most of House Kurita's previous involvement in major conflicts is in direct response to Davion aggression, namely the fourth succession war. Kurita has the right to protect their sovereign territory against Davion or Steiner attack. The alliance of the two prompted the remaining three houses, including Kurita to sign a pact to assist each other and protect the smaller two against the attacks of the FedComs.

Theodore does have a Clive Owen-esque look in this portrait above. He comes to define the future of the Combine in the coming years and the acceptance of more progressive thought and tactics for the good of the entire house.

-k

#17 Varancar

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:50 AM

Posted Image
:unsure:

Edited by Varancar, 09 March 2013 - 05:51 AM.

#18 Sealawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationBuckminster City, Buckminster Prefecture

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:38 AM

View PostVisyac Cephias, on 23 February 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

What exactly is your relation to the other houses? And why do you have those relationships?
What sort of rivalries should I expect?

One thing I would like to point out here is that the Fed Suns is usually the aggressor in conflict. One has to look no further than the 4th Succession War in which both Stiener and Davion executed cowardly coordinated sneak attacks against everyone in the Inner Sphere. Look at what they did to the Capellans as further proof. They are supposed to be the white knight faction, but excel at dirty politics and sneak attacks, something which they tribute, unfairly, to us and to the Capellans.

If one dissects the 4th Succession War, you can clearly see that we were only fighting to defend ourselves from Davion machinations and aggression. This is one of the main reason we created the FRR. Stiener only gave up planets because it made them look really bad when we create what they say they were for the whole time. After all look at the Skye and Tamar Marches and how their leaders tried to invade the FRR as it looked like a weak target. Don't see Stiener trying to send their warriors in to stop their rouge elements do you?

If we wanted war, we would have used the creation of the FRR buffer state as a pretext to invade and take back the planets that are rightfully ours in the Draconis March. Especially since we now only have one front to fight on. Instead, we just sit back and prepare for the next sneak attack from the Fed Suns, as history has shown us repeatedly that we must not be a sleeping Dragon when weasels come out of hiding.

And more major differences. We have a literate people. We believe in education and the betterment of ones self. The Fed Suns have one of the lowest literacy rates in the IS. Their ignorance leads to them being willing slaves listening to their propaganda masters. We also have religious tolerance. If we are the bad guys why do we teach our people to READ and allow them to worship who they want? No wonder the Fed Rats always want to take us down.

#19 Xando Parapasu

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationYori

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 19 February 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

Everybody knows the Marauder was invented by a Japanese anime studio... *ducks and runs* :D
No. It was first built in the Taurian Concordant.
Here is proof!
First build on Detroit soil! :)

#20 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

For those who do not know the truth about Steiner Kdogg768 every word he says is true. No more an evil slime has crawled on any planet than the Steiner. That reminds me I need to clean my drains tomorrow, so you better run Steiner's. In 3025 they made a rat look good. They shook our hands and said peace and then kicked us in a place that hurts. It was known as the night of death. It is a true story from 3025 I was their.

Edited by shotokan5, 17 March 2013 - 09:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users