Bt Novels

16 replies to this topic

#1 multiplesanta34

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

I read the Blood of Kerensky trilogy awhile back and was looking to continue but i'm confused as to which is the next book and correct progression in the series. Can anyone help me out?

#2 Syllogy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

If I remember correctly, Stackpole didn't follow that series with anything directly related, but anything else that is around the beginning of the Clan Invasion would get ya started.

EDIT: I stand corrected: He did follow up with some more Battletech books, but they aren't part of the same series. 2nd EDIT: are a couple of books that start around the time that Blood of Kerensky falls off:
Falcon Guard, by Robert Thurston Timeline: 3051-3052
Wolf Pack, by Robert N. Charrette Timeline: 3053-3055

After Wolf Pack, things get interesting. There is a huge list of material covering 3055 to 3060 that'll keep you busy for a while.

Edited by Syllogy, 14 April 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#3 Relkathi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

This is what I have been using as I read my way through.

http://www.stargazer..._novel_list.htm

#4 Bloody Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

The Saga of the Gray Death Legion shows us how we got where we are at MWO right now and those are probably the best books among the BT novels.

If you want the Clan perspective of the invasion you could pick up the Legend of the Jade Phoenix trilogy, tho i have to admit Aidan's story convinced me the Clans should burn. <_<

#5 multiplesanta34

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

So if i'm reading the BT Novel List link right, if I want to stay in the same general timeframe, same characters, and mostly with an IS perspective, then the next book for me would be Natural selection?

Edited by multiplesanta34, 14 April 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#6 Relkathi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Honestly not sure. I am reading the Kerensky trilogy at the moment.

Willet you know when I get there. <_<

#7 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

View PostBloody Moon, on 14 April 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

The Saga of the Gray Death Legion shows us how we got where we are at MWO right now and those are probably the best books among the BT novels.

If you want the Clan perspective of the invasion you could pick up the Legend of the Jade Phoenix trilogy, tho i have to admit Aidan's story convinced me the Clans should burn. :wub:

Agreed. Apart from Horse I don't think there was a single character in the Jade Phoenix trilogy I didn't wish a horrible, screaming death. And that went double for the protagonist, a self-absorbed git of the highest order.

#8 Rifton

• Pip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 13 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Perhaps it's a dumb question, but how would I get a hold of Battletech books? They seem to be out of print and I'm DYING to read some of the lore.

Edited by Rifton, 23 April 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#9 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

I got mine from amazon - the ones that are out of stock are usually still available within their "connected retailers" program, meaning some small shop where you order and pay through amazon. Keep in mind that amazon is sorted by region, so if you can't find it on amazon.com try amazon.co.uk and so on.

Ebay would be another option, of course, although I would only use it if it's not available through amazon. You'd not even have to purchase from some average individual there but can look for various small book shops and magazine stores that sell their stuff this way.

And yes, the novels - at least the ones I read - are good. Charrette is my favorite author so far. I've heard mixed things about Stackpole's Battletech books, though .. if what I heard is true, that guy has a penchant for self-inserts (which I can confirm from his uberheroic Corran Horn Star Wars stories) and a huge bias towards the FedSuns so much that the stories reek of marysueism and whiteknighting, and I would really dislike that.

#10 Ari Dian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

how about this list:
http://en.wikipedia....ttleTech_novels

Most, if not all books, are findable on amazon.

#11 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostRifton, on 23 April 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

Perhaps it's a dumb question, but how would I get a hold of Battletech books? They seem to be out of print and I'm DYING to read some of the lore.

[Redacted]

Also - Most of the lore is already summarized online via Wikis. - http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page -

Edited by Egomane, 14 June 2013 - 08:44 AM.
CoC violation

#12 Rifton

• Pip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 13 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. Will try it out. While I know the lore is available at sarna (and I have delved into a fair amout fo it) I really want to read the novels as the reading it on a wiki tends to be a fairly dry experience, akin to reading a history book. A novel is more like dramatization.
Not knocking history books though. I'm a huge history buff myself, just sometimes it's fun to experience a dramatization, embellishments and all =D *edit Apologies for the wall of text. For some inexplicable reason it refuses to allow me to make paragrafs O_o

Edited by Rifton, 24 April 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#13 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostRifton, on 24 April 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

While I know the lore is available at sarna (and I have delved into a fair amout fo it) I really want to read the novels as the reading it on a wiki tends to be a fairly dry experience, akin to reading a history book. A novel is more like dramatization.
Absolutely! The ones I've read were very enjoyable and kept me hooked for a number of evenings. ;)

And sarna doesn't have everything, anyways. It's an amazing place to get a quick glance and hunt down details - but as it is a consumer-driven effort, the amount of information is directly tied to a novel's popularity. For example, just compare Katana Tormark's article before and after I was done editing it. All because apparently no-one reads Dark Age stories! :ph34r:

[Redacted]

Edited by Egomane, 14 June 2013 - 08:45 AM.
Quote and response clean-up

#14 Kaarde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationState of confusion

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

Take a look at this link, it is to [Redacted] and will pull up the listing that they have for Battletech books. I've found that all but two of the novels are on there. One having to do with the Twilight of the Clans series, and the other having to do with Aiden's kid going for her Bloodname.

If you need a reader for them, Aldiko works great on my tablet.

[Redacted]

Edited by Egomane, 14 June 2013 - 08:46 AM.
CoC violations

#15 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

Which titles are you looking for, exactly? So far, I had no problem finding the physical product to buy, contrary to some people's apparent experience.

#16 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

A small reminder:

All Battletech books (Novels, Tactical Readout, Rulebooks, etc.) are still protected by copyright. There are no free copies legally available on the internet.

Please do not post links leading to such pirated content to the MWO forums.

#17 HexSystem6

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

View PostEgomane, on 14 June 2013 - 08:47 AM, said:

A small reminder:
All Battletech books (Novels, Tactical Readout, Rulebooks, etc.) are still protected by copyright. There are no free copies legally available on the internet.
Please do not post links leading to such pirated content to the MWO forums.
Agreed. Keep the universe and community alive and kicking by buying the material. It is worth it...well, except for maybe Far Country.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users