7 replies to this topic

#1 Carlyle

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

Hi,

I was lucky to have played in a SolarisVII league for a few years... We even improved the board game rules a bit, and I have to say it was much better than the basic rules -- because you had to keep your eye on your weapons delay, heat was much more of a problem (a round was not 10sec, but 2,5, So heat and everything was x4). In usual battletech everything was about keeping distance, in Solaris it was much more interesting als also that was more like city-fights and hiding and so on, while minimum range was a real problem.

loved my venom with 3 MP lasers and a targetting computer...

#2 Starlace

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

Welcome to the future. :)

#3 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:20 AM

Solaris rules sucked. They were a great concept with poor execution. Machine Guns ruled (zero weapon delay so they magically did 4x the damage they did in TT). That and insta-vape boats (things that carried enough guns to knock the CT off an atlas in one volley, because you were allowed to aim at locations). It doesn't matter if you are shut down in a duel if the other guy is dead.

#4 Carlyle

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

machine guns were great, but really had a short range -- and i liked them as long as the ammo did not explode...and most mechs did only have one or two of them. Basically AK´s were great, also medium lasers and the gauss, streak srm also rock.

p.s. aiming at locations - at least in our rules had such a high modifier, you would maye try, but usually be very unlikely to hit....
And if you did not play a duel but a game with more players shutting down was a serious problem. The strengh of an atlas was that it always had some weapon present and could not easily be stopped.

#5 Sychodemus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:53 AM

Solaris VII dueling rules.

Yeah.

Anyway, I am glad the OP enjoyed them. Welcome to the forums, btw.

#6 Shootanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 248 posts
  • Locationin a Jenner right behind you

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

I sadly never tried - in which rulebook are they nowadays? I remember them being part of the Battletech Compendium 2nd edition, but it's long time since and I do not own that book.

#7 Uller Phrost

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 73 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:46 AM

the Solaris VII book for 3rd ed. It broke down BT rounds into actions. more practical if someone is going to put a sachel charge in a leg of a mech. I would say its a Must if your running mechwarrior and battletech systems as a RPG.

#8 Carlyle

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

Yeah, I really loved playing it. We had a group meeting twice a week, on wedneydays big free for all stompings and on Sunday league one on ones. Everyone piloted a mech, had to keep an eye on economy, was able to modify the mech (but not to much, we had a comitee discussing wheter the design was realistic, so we would not have someone change a ppc to 4 machine guns; however a ak20 to a gauss might be discussable). When you killed your opponent (headshot) you would get the mech. Great times for Battletech! Pilots of Heavy and Assault Mechs had to start with worse piloting values to keep it fair.

And the areans, Steiner Arena with the moving walls, there were quite a few interesting moments, when clever tactics really were important and not just simple firepower.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users