Combat - What To Do And Why. By Pp.

7 replies to this topic

#1 Plonky

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

Hello ;)

The goal of combat is to kill your enemy, but more specifically, for your team to kill the enemy team. The success of this depends on you playing a role. The execution of this role varies depending on the mech you have chosen to play, but the following principles are applicable to all mechs.

Why to stay with your team.

Fair fights tend to lead to a lot of damage sustained on both sides. It is important to make the fight as unfair as possible for your enemy in order to maximize the amount of damage your team can do, while minimizing the amount of damage taken in return.

The direction a mech is facing is their zone of threat. Enemy mechs are more dangerous when they are facing you. Attacking them head on is the easiest way to make a fight fair, as both you and the enemy mechs will have line of sight and line of shot. If you can hit them, they can hit you. Because of this, it is important to hit your enemies from the side or behind.

If you are the only threat presented to an enemy, they will face you, and you will therefore be in their zone of threat. The best way to get a mech to turn away from you is for a teammate to apply a bigger threat from a different direction. This is why the team must stick together - because you need to work together to create angles on the side and back of your enemies.

Work with your team to draw fire and seek cover, and move forward and apply threat.

Where to be in a fight.

Because you are not fighting face to face with your opponent, you must have cover. But because you also need to apply pressure on them, you need to be in a position where you can see (and shoot) your enemy. This means that you should be in an area of cover, which you can easily emerge from to apply your damage, and then easily return to. These things are important:

If you are in cover but not able to apply pressure, you are not helping your team. If you are able to apply pressure but you have no cover, you will soon be killed by the enemy.

There are important things to keep in mind as you search for appropriate cover/firing positions:

Where is the enemy, and which direction are they moving?
Where is your team, and which direction are they moving?
Where will the enemy come from when they engage your position?
Have you got cover and a firing line from every direction they could come?
Where will you fall back to if the enemy forces you from your cover?
Can I safely get into a better firing position?

If your current firing position will soon be overwhelmed, retreat to the next piece of cover. If you have no cover, you can still attempt to run. Mechs are tough - survive and draw the enemy into your team's zone of threat.

What happens in a fight.

When two teams clash, the mechs crunch together like thundering iron. A battle line will be formed based on where each individual chooses as their firing position. Sometimes the battle line will hold this way while the teams exchange fire. Sometimes one team will aggressively push forward and break the enemy lines. Sometimes one team will walk into the enemy line and be blown apart. Sometimes one team fails to get into good firing positions and the other team takes a large positional advantage.

Whatever happens, think of the battle line as the zone of threat that both teams put onto the battlefield. Attempt to fill any holes in your team's zone of threat, and attempt to disrupt the enemy firing positions by flanking them.

When to brawl.

Brawling is as close as you will get to face to face combat, however the principles above still apply. Don't get into a brawl unless you will have a better firing position on your enemy. If you can still do your damage from range (and will be safer there), then stay at range. There is no need to expose yourself to risk. Hit the enemy from close range if you can get close safely, but do not be committed to the destruction. Be prepared to retreat should the battle start to go against you.

When to shoot.

Shoot your weapons when you will hit with them. Take extra time to make sure the shot will be on target. A hastily fired shot that misses will do less damage than a well aimed shot that hits.

If you are at risk of hitting a teammate with your weapons, don't fire them. It is better to not do damage than to damage your own team. Especially be careful to not hit your allies with big weapons such as Gauss rifles, as these will hurt a lot. Remember, if you hit your ally you missed your enemy.

If you accidentally fire a beam weapon at your ally, quickly swing your aim away so as to minimize the damage you deal, and to spread the damage over multiple parts. It's better to damage your ally a little bit in a few places than a lot in one place.

If you enjoyed this guide look up my other guides in the new players forum.

Thank you.

Edited by PeenyPoke, 20 July 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#2 Camarsi

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:35 AM

A very interesting post, I think that most players are like drones following the masses.

Maybe if players put some more time into research they and others would have a better overall experience.

Anyways very interesting and I wish more people would play like this, opening up new metagame.

#3 Plonky

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:47 AM

Thanks for your kind words, and thank you for the feedback. I hope it helps :)

#4 Stewbawl

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:37 AM

View PostPeenyPoke, on 20 July 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

The goal of combat is to kill your enemy,

i agree with everything in your post except for your opening sentence.
  killing your enemy is a byproduct of your goal.  there is always an objective and the enemy is just one thing standing in the way of completing that objective.  
too often i see people off somewhere fighting over a portion of a map that means nothing.  
i'm sure you've all experienced drops where one team or the other wins what ever skirmish has taken place disabling lets say 6 mechs while only losing 2-4 of their own, only to lose the match because the other team capped a base or hit 750 conquest points.  a battle is wasted damage taken if it isn't to secure an objective.

#5 Plonky

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:35 AM

View PostStewbawl, on 24 July 2013 - 05:37 AM, said:

i agree with everything in your post except for your opening sentence. killing your enemy is a byproduct of your goal. there is always an objective and the enemy is just one thing standing in the way of completing that objective.
too often i see people off somewhere fighting over a portion of a map that means nothing.
i'm sure you've all experienced drops where one team or the other wins what ever skirmish has taken place disabling lets say 6 mechs while only losing 2-4 of their own, only to lose the match because the other team capped a base or hit 750 conquest points. a battle is wasted damage taken if it isn't to secure an objective.

I agree that there are things other than combat that influence the outcome of a game, and that fighting is not always the best choice, however this guide is about combat - the fighty-killy bit of the game.

#6 Padic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

This is great! But I do want to discuss a pet peeve I have. And, even though you didn't come right out and say it, I think we agree on this point.

"Sticking together" is not a good thing to do. "Attacking together" is.

A team which moves across the map in one giant blob is doing so blindly. If they get an engagement, it will likely be a favorable one, and that's good - but there's also a good chance that they'll miss the other team entirely and end up in a base-race. A team that "sticks together" is rolling the dice and hoping that the other team will play into their hand.

A team that "attacks together" is using a more complicated, but more stable strategy. Fast mechs SHOULD spread out to identify what the enemy is doing. Slow mechs should position themselves more conservatively to respond effectively to what the enemy is doing. The critical point (and what you were saying) is that when you do engage/allow the enemy to engage, you want your whole team there - preferably without their entire team being massed (for whatever reason).

EDIT: I would love to see a general structure of:
1. Scout - Locate the enemy, pick off overextended enemies.
2. Skirmish - Once the enemy assault blob is located, first responders and fire support mechs delay their advance, or, if possible, keep them pinned in an awkward position.
3. Engage - The slow assaults finally arrive and you can engage them in earnest.

As opposed to what I see today:
1. Blob up. Cross fingers.
2a. If you encounter enemy blob, engage
2b. If you miss enemy blob, base trade.

Edited by Padic, 24 July 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#7 Plonky

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

Good points Padic! Thanks for adding to the discussion :D

I should probably link my other guides, as they go into detail in other areas.

Tips for new players - http://mwomercs.com/...yers-pps-guide/

Mech roles in combat - http://mwomercs.com/...mbat-pps-guide/

Edited by PeenyPoke, 24 July 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#8 Padic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

View PostPeenyPoke, on 24 July 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Good points Padic! Thanks for adding to the discussion :(

I should probably link my other guides, as they go into detail in other areas.

Tips for new players - http://mwomercs.com/...yers-pps-guide/

Mech roles in combat - http://mwomercs.com/...mbat-pps-guide/

Oh beautiful. You should definitely crosslink your guides.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users