Please put a timer on the ability to edit your posts

11 replies to this topic

#1 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:15 PM

What the title says - unlimited time to edit posts winds up making for ninja-edits by posters in arguments that horribly mangle discussions;

It allows the less ... shall we say decent... posters to go back and edit older posts to mess with discussions.

IMO, there should be some solidity to a post once you've "dropped" it.

Maybe a ten minute timer would be great, and still give people the time to fix obvious messups.

#2 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHipsterland, USA

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:24 PM

Just quote particularly offensive posters from the get go and it's less of a problem. I personally use the edit button long after posting to keep from unnecessarily bumping topics.

#3 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:30 PM

View PostCake Bandit, on 09 November 2011 - 08:24 PM, said:

Just quote particularly offensive posters from the get go and it's less of a problem. I personally use the edit button long after posting to keep from unnecessarily bumping topics.

Later readers in a post have an extremely hard job in keeping up with who posted what with unlimited edit times - they have to make sure to not miss if anyone quoted the persons post - and for that matter, they don't know if the person doing the quoting messed with the quote.

It's just a mess and not constructive.

#4 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

I still like being able to add links to things and fix my grammar and such after the fact.

Edited by Cake Bandit, 09 November 2011 - 08:33 PM.

#5 Amechwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 729 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

View PostPht, on 09 November 2011 - 07:15 PM, said:

I can make this say whatever I want. Pht never said any of this.

I like this idea for a time limit. While we are at it what about the ability for someone to edit the "quote" to say whatever they like(see above). I do not think anyone has stooped to that level here, but it just seems odd that I can do this. I have no clue if this is a practical suggestion, if the boards code is just not set up like that then never mind.

#6 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:19 PM

View PostAmechwarrior, on 09 November 2011 - 09:57 PM, said:

I do not like this idea for a time limit. While we are at it what about the ability for someone to edit the "quote" to say whatever they like(see above). I do not think anyone has stooped to that level here, but it just seems so much fun that I can do this. I have no clue if this is a practical suggestion, if the boards code is just not set up like that then never mind.

Considering the board gives us direct access to inputting our own BBC code it would be pretty tough to lock out editing quotes, but if you're actively participating in the discussion it'd be a good idea to quote them, then your original post and probably report it to a moderator.

I don't think anyone who would be so low as to really edit quotes in a serious debate is going to last here very long anyway. This is one of those things that I think it's really up to us users to play watchdog over.
(And you'll catch things like what I just did)

#7 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

A complete non-issue. Move along, move along.

#8 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

Oh don't be that guy. Give them some legitimate conversation. If it bugs some folks we might as well address it in some way.

#9 Amechwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 729 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:29 PM

Again, I agree this is basically a non issue. It just seemed odd to me and not worthy of its own thread. Back to the topic, what should the time limit be? 5-10 min. sounds like a good range.

#10 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:30 PM

Again, I think it's up to the users to keep an eye on it.

#11 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:35 PM

OP makes it sound like it is a crime spree that is out of hand. It is just editing...sheesh. If some dude pulls a fast one and dupes his post with a late-edit, then HE is the fool, not you. Non issue. Move along my little sheeples.

#12 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:33 PM

Don't apply this, please.

I am the kind of guy who needs to go back and edit posts all the time. After reading it, I will notice anything from incorrect spellings that spell-check doesn't pick up (A pear of lasers), to grammatical issues, to sentences that were started, half-corrected, and ends up having no flow at all; in some cases, no meaning at all.

Also, I'm aware this is the internet. People just love to attack tone and grammar, as well as use ad-hominem in order to refute arguments. I do not want to give them the chance.

EDIT: Also, the last thing I need is to be banned from the forum (and the game, before it even comes out) because I chew out some guy who knows jack-all about Battletech (or even the Mechwarrior series prior to Mechwarrior 4) for trying to distance the game even further from it's Battletech roots. In my books, if you're demanding features put into this game on this forum, but the acronym MW2 makes you think "Modern Warfare 2" before "MechWarrior 2", then... well... Like I said... I'd need an edit button to avoid causing a flame war and get permabanned.

Edited by ice trey, 09 November 2011 - 11:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users