- - - - -

Does A Speedy Jenner Actually Run At 152.7 Kph?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

Or is that netcode thing I've heard about still limiting speed?

#2 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

In the mechwarrior universe the threshold for reaching relativistic speeds is lower. That's why the Inner Sphere still has FTL even with their Ghettotech.

#3 Flying Blind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 776 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

There was a time when those Jenners were being limited to 140-ish but they upped the cap several months ago. So, yes those fast Jenners really do go faster than a mech clocked at 140. I tested this with a friend late last December and I don't think it has changed.

#4 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

Yes, a Jenner with the Speed Tweak piloting skill will travel at just over 152 kph. The netcode issue you probably heard about has been fixed with host-state rewind. What was essentially happening was that the game wouldn't keep proper track of where moving targets really were, as opposed to where they seemed to be. What this meant was that you would have to "lead" a target ,even with lasers, and aim for an invisible ghost mech in front of where you actually saw the 'mech to be - and of course greater speed produced a greater effect. Latency compounded this effect by creating a gap between where your enemy seemed to be on-screen and where he actually was according to the game servers.

It was very frustrating, but PGI's intruduction of host-state rewind (where the game will detect hits based on what you see, then 'rewind' a fraction of a second to apply damage to your target) effectively fixed the problem. However, PGI is currently still using the engine rating caps until they get done with weapon balancing and certain upcoming features, such as community warfare and MASC. There's a possibility that introducing higher speeds will cause unforeseeable stability issues, plus they need to see how speeds interact with MASC under live conditions.

Edited by Void Angel, 07 August 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#5 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:44 AM

153 kph is as good as it gets atm. That is the current speedcap. I understand some mechs like the flea will actually run 170+ kph, so we will see when they introduce MASC and raise the cap beyond it's current limit.

#6 IceSerpent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

View PostFlying Blind, on 07 August 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

There was a time when those Jenners were being limited to 140-ish but they upped the cap several months ago. So, yes those fast Jenners really do go faster than a mech clocked at 140. I tested this with a friend late last December and I don't think it has changed.

Not quite - that 140 kph limit simply applies before the speed tweak.

#7 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

I remember reading somewhere that even though the speedo says you're travelling at 151.2 (or whatever) your actual speed if mechs travel faster than, I believe, 90kph, is slower than the listed speed. I have no confirmation on this, but it seems to be true to me based solely on my own observations. Maybe someone with a lot more time on their hands could actually time various mechs in the training grounds and figure out speeds based on distance traveled.

#8 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure speed is still hard-capped at 150 KPH. So, even if your listed speed is greater than 150, I do not think you actually travel faster than 150.

#9 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

I haven't seen any official posts to that effect, though it may have happened on the old Closed Beta forums... It seems unnecessary, though. The current engine rating are arranged to prevent people from exceeding ~153 kph. Since they control 'mech engine ratings, a hard cap is redundant.

#10 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

I know that speed is not capped at 150, because a Jenner with speed tweak is faster (by a little bit) than my Spider with speed tweak.

#11 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

Pretty sure anything over 155 starts creating problems. No mech in the game can travel faster than that. I do notice a difference between my mech runnign 147kph, vs 152. Even when running with my friend, I'm a touch faster than him, or sometimes I'm a touch slower. But yeah, there's a difference.

Side-rant:::
What ever the cap is... I hope they tweak the running animation for smaller mechs at higher speeds so that they have more of a back kick off or longer stride..

I'm getting kind of nit-picky here maybe, but there are somethings my OCD just can't give up. Mechs like jenner, commando, raven, and spider running animation just look awkward. There's some kind of floating aspect/ or something going on. I'm not calling for
Jenner, commando, and spider's legs hardly bend at the knee when pulling the foot forward to enter a new stride. And constantly look like they're tip-toeing.
The raven doesn't use it's ankle very much, and touches the ground with it's heel first when it enters a new stride, dispite having a 3 talon foot.
And every one of those mechs throw they leg really far forward when entering a new stride.
Posted Image

Anywho, that's my little branch-off rant... I won't get into the topic of them removing the feet snapping to the terrain.
Walking animations has been key for me in mechwarrior games. MW4 did a great job where I spent a lot of time marveling over my mech traversing terrain made the whole thing that much more believeable. (not even going to use the over-rated and over-used word "immersive")
Crap, I said I wouldn't get into it... I'm going to stop now.

It's worth mentioning that the Catapult's animation is probably the most refined, perfect, and believeable walking animation in the game. (mid-way through the walking animation the toes scrunch up though. lol)

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 08 August 2013 - 02:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users