- - - - -

Possible Sara's Mech Issue

9 replies to this topic

#1 Raven2049

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

Just giving a heads up to all the people who bought Sara's mech. i received a call from my credit card company this evening stating that i may have been a victim of credit card fraud. long story short, i was. Seems that the last "authorized" purchase was that of me buying the 'mech through PGI's event.

Now im not exactly sure IF that is where the card was compromised, but as i only have one card from that company, and i only ever use that card to purchase things online, and the last purchase was the Sara's mech... the coincidences are stacking up.

Im merely posting this so people who have participated in this event can have a heads up, and so they can check their accounts as well.

*** EDIT *** i dont know where this should actually go so im putting it here, feel free to move it if necicary

Edited by Raven2049, 08 August 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#2 BookWyrm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

Eh?

and I only ever use that card to purchase things online
Problem found.

#3 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

^^
+10000

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

MWO's payment is handled by Playspan, which is a division of Visa.

I'd be much more worried about your other uses of the card.

#5 orion0117

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 126 posts
  • LocationAbyssal Netz

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

I got the call too. Actually the Sarah's mech and my fishing license renewal I bought about the same time were both flagged as fraudulent.

View PostRaven2049, on 08 August 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

Just giving a heads up to all the people who bought Sara's mech. i received a call from my credit card company this evening stating that i may have been a victim of credit card fraud. long story short, i was. Seems that the last "authorized" purchase was that of me buying the 'mech through PGI's event.

Now im not exactly sure IF that is where the card was compromised, but as i only have one card from that company, and i only ever use that card to purchase things online, and the last purchase was the Sara's mech... the coincidences are stacking up.

Im merely posting this so people who have participated in this event can have a heads up, and so they can check their accounts as well.

*** EDIT *** i dont know where this should actually go so im putting it here, feel free to move it if necicary

#6 Plasticcaz

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

I used a pre-paid credit card (and I've already used all the credit on that, so no worries for me!

#7 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

Maybe don't use a credit card, then? :(

#8 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

i blame lance Armstrong.

#9 theGerf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostCapt Jester, on 08 August 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

Maybe don't use a credit card, then? ;)

A credit card is the safest way possible to buy something, in general, in basically every situation.

Debit cards go through your bank, and they have no obligation to insure any abuse from your card or account. Some will, but it takes a lot of work and they generally won't get everything back.
Paypall basically has free reign to run amok with your account. They can and have done basically everything short of closing accounts and keeping the money. They've probably done that too. If you say someone's using your details to access your account, they pretty much don't care.

If your credit card gets compromised, the vendor who authorizes the payment is at fault. The agreement they have with the credit card company guarantees the card holder can cancel the payment and get it refunded. With a 5 minute phone call, your credit card company can cancel and refund any charges, cancel your existing card, and has a new one in the mail.

Plus, as we've seen here, they're really cautious about it. Your bank won't give you a call if your debit card is being used in weird places, paypall certainly doesn't care, but your credit card company is pretty paranoid about it.

Edited by theGerf, 09 August 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#10 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

sounds like its time to do a full system scan of your PC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users