Shield Arm [Weapon Type]?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Arc Viper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

I know this had to have been suggested at some point, but I think it would be cool for asymmetrical builds that have no weapons on one arm be able to spend a few tons and buy a hunk of metal that acts as a shield on the other arm instead of an empty barrel gun. Of course. this would be properly scaled for each mech. I think it might work if instead of adding extra defense possibly making it OP, it would just make it harder to hit the vulnerable side torso underneath. I'm not talking about a huuuge shield, just a little extra area to the empty arm to soak up damage.

This would make sense in reality to have a shield arm instead of an empty gun, right? Not to mention visually it would give mechs a much more diverse look. Thoughts?

Edited by Arc Viper, 20 September 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#2 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

IMO, it's not needed, since an empty arm already serves this purpose. However, I see no arguments against it either, and spending 1 or 2 tons for an item that makes the arm hitbox a little bigger would be fine by me.

#3 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

Im sorta imagining the cicada with bigger flaps like a tie fighter thats sprouted legs. ;)

#4 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

Some mechs would benefit from a shield arm, I don't think its a bad idea, just takes up all weapon slots on that arm. I personally would welcome it. Wouldn't be so hard to change the animation either as they have modular weapons now.

#5 Arc Viper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

I guess the only major challenge to this idea is that they would be a pain to design for each and every mech. At least, that's why I think PGI hasn't implemented something like this already.

#6 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

It's been suggested as you said, and I do like it. They have kind of done so with the missile bay doors of the Catapult though. When closed they add a fixed amount of front armour to the pod.

I think the same kind of thing could be done on certain 'Mechs where the "shield" plate would act as a first line of defence before the actual arm/leg/side-torso armour is touched.

#7 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostArc Viper, on 20 September 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

I know this had to have been suggested at some point, but I think it would be cool for asymmetrical builds that have no weapons on one arm be able to spend a few tons and buy a hunk of metal that acts as a shield on the other arm instead of an empty barrel gun. Of course. this would be properly scaled for each mech. I think it might work if instead of adding extra defense possibly making it OP, it would just make it harder to hit the vulnerable side torso underneath. I'm not talking about a huuuge shield, just a little extra area to the empty arm to soak up damage.

This would make sense in reality to have a shield arm instead of an empty gun, right? Not to mention visually it would give mechs a much more diverse look. Thoughts?

On shields in BattleTech/MechWarrior (from page 290 of Tactical Operations):
"R&D Start Date: 3065 (Lyran Alliance)
Prototype Design and Production: 3067 (Lyran Alliance)

From hastily wielded armor plates to well designed ‘Mech additions, shields are a common sight in the lower-class arenas of several game worlds. The most effective versions, of course, were developed on Solaris shortly before the Jihad (where they had yet to advance beyond the prototype phase before Blakist forces attacked and seized that world). If used well, the ’Mech-scale shield has definite potential in combat, though its bulk can hinder a ’Mech’s mobility and combat effectiveness."

SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch, with "Large Shield":
Posted Image

VAL-NT-JX Valiant ("Hot Knife"), with "Small Shield":
Posted Image

As a separate and dedicated piece of equipment, actual shields shouldn't be in-game for some time. :)

However, sizable flanges that do not actually add any additional armor to the arm, like that found on the MWO Centurion's left arm, should be a separate issue... :)
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users