Anyone Who Thinks It'll Be Hard To Balance Clan Weapons Is An *****. (Logic Fluff Inside!)

5 replies to this topic

#1 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

Clan ERppc - slower projectile speed, smaller area of contact. (hit reg)
Logic: 1) More damage + range is explained by greater concentration of energy delivered in a more efficient manner. (harder to hit, more damage)

IS ERPPC - faster projectile speed and larger contact area (hit reg)
Logic: 2) Lack of range and damage is explained by an inefficient manner of delivery, higher speed and larger contract area. (more easy to hit, less damage)

Clan Lasers - Longer beam duration and smaller damage per second. Increased damage drop off from max range if really needed(******).
Logic: 1) Extended range is explained by more efficient delivery. Less energy over a Longer time allows for keeping the unit cooler while delivering more total energy at the cost of additional time(and exposure). (think bigger wavelengths and wavelength decay you nerd)
(gains range, and more potential damage)

IS Lasers - Shorter beam duration, higher damage per second, shorter range
Logic: By using shorter wavelength IS tech delivers more damage per second at the cost of range and time able to keep a unit cool. (more wave decay thru air) (shorter duration due to weapon heat)
(gains the less time needed to trace)

Clan Autocannon: - Multiple bust round, 3 shot cluster
Logic: Clan tech delivers the energy of an autocannon thru a multi round burst, favoring probability over concentration. (faster reload, less concentration)

IS Autocannon: - Single round
Logic: IS tech delivers the energy of an autocannon in a single cannon like burst favoring concentration over probability. (gains the concentration bonus)

Clan Missiles: - Tighter spread, no splash, faster
Logic: Clans where able to improve distance and decrease weight by taking out the explosive factor of missiles and by relying on kinetic energy. Clan missiles are more like heat seeking auto cannon rounds. By doing so they also eliminated the need for minimum range.(small if any smoke effect)

IS missiles: - splash damage, bigger spread, slower
Logic: IS missiles still rely on the conventional warhead explosive rounds... meaning there is a safe distance where missiles will not detonate.(smoke effect)(splash damage)

By same logic:

Clan SRMS: No splash, smaller spread, non self harming

IS SRMS: Bigger spread, Splash self harming

IS Normal PPC: Feed back damage to location equipped under 90m. (not splash, direct damage)

Edited by ManDaisy, 20 September 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#2 Hythos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationLOS ANGELES, er, I mean Dustball

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

I applaud your thought efforts...

However Clan technology is essentially the same as it's Inner Sphere-origins, with improved efficiency thanks to NOT losing technology after the Exodus, and through ingenuity of their Caste Scientists.

**Edit - by efficiency, I'm referring to electronics, materials, and manufacturing... Through this, mechanisms could be improved for reload-speed (IE, ammo-driven weaponry being concentrated in size and weight), electronics with better circuit design with cooling and amplification in mind (capacitors, circuit-traces / cabling / conductors), refined alloys allowing structural materials to have a more tightly interlaced matrix (Endo Steel and Ferro-Fiberous / Ferro-Aluminum compounds) that also provide an amount of thermal entropy to intended components (allow for higher thermal conductivity and/or insulation, to support diffusion from equipment -> HS -> air.)

I believe the base-weaponry functionality (and equipment) would have remained largely the same.

Edited by Hythos, 21 September 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#3 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostHythos, on 21 September 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

I believe the base-weaponry functionality (and equipment) would have remained largely the same.

Just add On table top to the end of your sentence...

Problem is that we can't have a balanced game with the clans being flat out superior. I know on table top weight, damage, and range was superior en every way, however even if you take those values, you have a lot of interpreted wiggle room to determine how damage is dealt due to the 10 second window and random dice location versus realtime and skill based aiming. You can have equivalent table top values with non equivalent behavior. Even in the books there are multiple definitions of what is actually an autocannon.

Heck, take the Hag 40(clan) versus the heavy gauss(Innersphere). The design philosophy is already there.

Edited by ManDaisy, 21 September 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#4 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

View PostManDaisy, on 21 September 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

Just add On table top to the end of your sentence...

Problem is that we can't have a balanced game with the clans being flat out superior. I know on table top weight, damage, and range was superior en every way, however even if you take those values, you have a lot of interpreted wiggle room to determine how damage is dealt due to the 10 second window and random dice location versus realtime and skill based aiming. You can have equivalent table top values with non equivalent behavior. Even in the books there are multiple definitions of what is actually an autocannon.

Heck, take the Hag 40(clan) versus the heavy gauss(Innersphere). The design philosophy is already there.

I am a longtime tabletop fan.

However, what he says is true. Clan weapons have always been OP, and will murder balance in MWO just like they have in every other MW game. Except MW1, which only had IS tech. And MW2, which only had Clan tech. But you get the idea. The needs of a first person game are much different then the needs of a tabletop tactical strategy game.

#5 Hythos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationLOS ANGELES, er, I mean Dustball

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

While they're trying to balance Clan weaponry based on 'the intended spirit of the Clans and not the actual Battletech stats" - we've already seen them balance a Gauss as "the intended spirit of the Gauss Rifle as a Sniper Weapon".

I would anticipate that (should we ever have Clans introduced into MWO) the Clan weapons AND equipment will be identical to I.S. weapons due to "balance" (ie, 14-slot Endo Steel + Ferro-Fibrous armor, 12-crit XL-engines, etc).
I can't see how they plan to enhance the Clans without Battletech stats (based on their statements).

#6 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

Well, clan weapons would still have less weight,more range and less crit requirements. Endosteel + ferro being changed is still just pure assumption. Not to mention clan double heat sinks only take two slots. Leaving all this alone would suffice to give the Clan's their technological edge. You can fit more stuff, and stuff takes less space. (this is all not important to balanced gameplay)

Going with my suggestions, changing gameplay performance which is the real meat of the game, would preserve the battle tech damage values thru balanced interpretation.

SO rather then mess up the table top values, GAMEPLAY differences NEED to be the determining factor in balance of IS versus clans, not secondary mech build stats. Therefore having clan weapons behave the same as innersphere weapons while keeping the secondary mech building advantages IS NOT an option.

Also: In this situations Mixed tech would be advantageous to BOTH sides, and not just the innersphere side. Think about that.

Edited by ManDaisy, 21 September 2013 - 11:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users