How Do I Create Better Quality Videos?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

Ok, It seems after manually tweaking some manual settings on my video card, I am able to get fantastic FPS and even able to FRAPS gameplay.

Below I have made a youtube video of me playing in a 12 man pre-made group in all lights. I recorded it using FRAPS. Before I condensed the file into something small enough to upload on youtube and make a recruitment video out of it for my Merc Unit(The MNC), I had PERFECT picture quality with no pixelation...and even afterwards before I uploaded the "condensed" version it still maintained perfect quality.

But for some reason AFTER I upload it to youtube, the video quality is less than it was. Even if you watch this link in 1080p, you can see pixelation.

Is it possible for me to create a youtube video out of my FRAPS footage in such a way that when it's uploaded to youtube that the video maintains it's picture quality? I've noticed this subtle problem even in PGI official trailer footage. Currently I'm using Windows Movie Maker because I can't afford to purchase any other software at the moment.

Here's the link to the video I made:

Edited by Burned_Follower, 22 September 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#2 Wolf Ender

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

when you finish your video in windows movie maker does it give you a MWV file?
is there an option to export an MP4 instead? I've heard that's better for youtube.

#3 Myssi

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

That's youtube for you. After all your editing, carefully selected rendering settings it throws your file into it's own rendering machine and something plops out of the other end that isn't quite as good as you hoped for.
MP4 container with H.264 codec supposedly is the recommended file format to use, might help a bit. Or might not.
Cramming higher bit rate to the video might also have some impact after youtube finishes processing it, but also makes the file bigger.

#4 Burned_Follower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDanielsville, Georgia

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

View PostWolf Ender, on 23 September 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

when you finish your video in windows movie maker does it give you a MWV file?
is there an option to export an MP4 instead? I've heard that's better for youtube.

The file that I uploaded to youtube was already in MP4 format.

View PostMyssi, on 23 September 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

MP4 container with H.264 codec supposedly is the recommended file format to use, might help a bit.

Ok I understand how to save it as an MP4...but what does H.264 mean? I'll play around with Windows Movie maker to see what you mean. But if you know exactly how to do that please let me know. :)

#5 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

h.264 is a compression codec, it just means better quality + smaller file sizes.

#6 Wolf Ender

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

after doing a couple minutes of research i have found that windows movie maker does indeed support MP4 and the h.264 codec

to OP, when you saved your video which preset did you use?

When ready to export, if you go to SAVE MOVIE and select "For High-Definition Display" it will save your video as .MP4/H.264 which is the recommended container/codec combination for Youtube uploads.

when saved with those settings, there should be the minimal amount of reprocessing by youtube as is currently possible.
If you are creating your files in that mp4 container with the h.264 codec, and they are STILL degrading in quality when uploading to youtube....

I'm no expert but I would hazard a guess that you probably can't hope to do any better :P

#7 Myssi

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

View PostBurned_Follower, on 23 September 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

Ok I understand how to save it as an MP4...but what does H.264 mean? I'll play around with Windows Movie maker to see what you mean. But if you know exactly how to do that please let me know. :)

Sorry, should have explained it better. But as Wolf Ender said it's the codec used to render the video.
Also wasn't sure does windows movie maker even support it, but good if it does. Haven't used that particular program in ages.
If there is a possibility to change bit rates in WMM I'd try different settings with that. Record a short clip of few seconds and render it with different settings and upload to youtube and see what happens.

I think I had my 720p rendering set to 7mbps and 1080p somewhere around 13mbps. File sizes don't get too crazy but it's still watchable after youtube has it's way with it. Not perfect though, far from it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users