Quaity Vs Quantity

24 replies to this topic

#1 Jaegerwulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

I am trying to decide on how to best spend my currently meager number of cbills most effficiently. right now I have 6 mechs, all heavies; my founder's CAT, 3 jagers including the firebrand, and 2 cataphracts including the liya.

I do eventually want to collect a few more mechs for the variety, so what is the most effeicient use of cbills: working to upgrade and refit the mechs I have or getting more (especially a few mediums) mechs now to work on getting their efficiencies bought?

#2 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

I'd work to get them mastered, and if that means upgrades then so be it. Once they are mastered, or at least the ones you're going to keep are able to be mastered, only then would I look at buying new mechs.

#3 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

I like Mailin's comment but I'm going to add this...

Match Weight Limits are coming... lots of people are going to feel really foolish if they don't at least have the option to pick something smaller than a Jagermech.

#4 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

View PostscJazz, on 25 September 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

I like Mailin's comment but I'm going to add this...

Match Weight Limits are coming... lots of people are going to feel really foolish if they don't at least have the option to pick something smaller than a Jagermech.

Doubt it. Since PGI isn't going to break MM and have nobody dropping they'll keep punting on this forever.

Besides, they're better off balancing Light vs Medium vs Heavy vs Assault than worrying about weight.

#5 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 25 September 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

Doubt it. Since PGI isn't going to break MM and have nobody dropping they'll keep punting on this forever.

Besides, they're better off balancing Light vs Medium vs Heavy vs Assault than worrying about weight.

But PGI has rather specifically stated... weight limits are coming. I'm not theory crafting. They said it.

#6 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

Since you own 6 heavy mechs I would get at least 3 thru elite, after you sell (if you want to) them not sure, but think then even if you sold all of them, after getting thru basic on the next heavy (3 mechs thru basic) could go straight to master with whatever one you want.

#7 Anti ARMD

Clone

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostscJazz, on 25 September 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

But PGI has rather specifically stated... weight limits are coming. I'm not theory crafting. They said it.

Yet they have to show us what their thoughts and intents will be... how the system will work and how it'll affect the overall matchmaking. Afterall the latest matchmaker changes made a disparity in how high and low ELO players were finding matches and the quality of said matches, thus some tweaking was done to improve it.

Whilst they can SAY something is coming, until they give a detailed post on how it functions and works with the current systems THEN gives it a solid and firm release date... learn to treat it like CW or UI2.0... a carrot on their stick...

@OP Master them and upgrade them, otherwise look to branch into new chassis that might suit your playstyle like the Hunchback or upgrade into the assault mechs. Can't hurt sometimes to expand ones skillset.

Edited by Anti ARMD, 25 September 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#8 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

View Postmailin, on 25 September 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

I'd work to get them mastered, and if that means upgrades then so be it. Once they are mastered, or at least the ones you're going to keep are able to be mastered, only then would I look at buying new mechs.

I don't see the rush in getting them mastered unless you have modules already unlocked and bought. I have just over 8K GXP so haven't bought anything yet as hate to spend 5-7.5K and then regret not getting a 15K one....

Now if you have MC to convert, then yea....run the trial mechs for the x2 XP and convert away.... :)

#9 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

Hey Anti ARMD - I like your nick, can you elaborate why?

And to those wondering - nope he/she aint my sock puppet..

Anyway back on topic - I would do at least elite for all mechs and then master ones that I really like the module slots for...

I go for every variant of each chassis that I like (even heroes, no champions though) so I can talk intimately and intelligently about the chassis that I own..

I haz close to 55 mechs before pheonix.. It is not about quantity or even quality.. It is about the different kind of gameplay with each variant of each chassis...

I design mechs typically by maxing out engine engine speed and maxing out hardpoints for a given mech.. Since I build mechs the same way it really shows me the quirks of each...

#10 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

View PostscJazz, on 25 September 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

Or bigger than a Jenner.

#11 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:45 AM

View PostModo44, on 25 September 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

Or bigger than a Jenner.

Once PGI implements drop limits, lights and mediums will be more in demand, because it will mean possibly another assault can tag along. The thing about drop limits is that it is correct according to lore. I don't honestly remember what the usual was, but I seem to remember that in a typical drop there would only be 2 assaults.

#12 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:00 AM

I recommend you diversify into lower weight classes. It requires a different play style which will diversify your skills and help you stay interested in endless 10 minute matches.

Try the Jenner: cheap to buy, and you will be amazed how much fun (and how effective) they can be.

Plus, Mastering them is much less of a CBill grind than heavier chassis.

Edited by Appogee, 26 September 2013 - 03:00 AM.

#13 Jaegerwulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:12 AM

Thank you all for your responses but I get the impression from them that I may have failed to make my question clear; this topic has nothing to do with Mastering mechs(paying mech xp to unlock basic elite and master efficiencies). That is the wrong tab. I am talking tinkering with the load out of the mech in the mech lab tab, trying different weapons, upgrading to double heat sinks or endosteel etc. vs buying more mechs.

#14 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:22 AM

If they have sufficiently upgraded equipment...
- Artemis, XL, Endo, FF where appropriate
- Optimal Engines and loadouts

I'd definitely go the buy a new mech that isn't a Heavy route.

Otherwise, I'd stick with cleaning up the mechs you already have. I am not however suggesting that you grind to put perfect engines, modules, and equipment on each. These things can be moved around.

#15 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:00 AM

Endo/dhs/FF/Artemis as required

Weapons for each mech

Engines and modules - move them around..

Biggest expenditure would be engines.. So plan your chassis purchases around engines that you own and want to move over... That will get u quickly into new mechs to keep it fresh...

Sadly, this economy is fun only if you have premium... Without it the grind has become painfully toxic...

#16 Soul Catcher

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:34 AM

Each mech has a certain play-style and function but it is all overshadowed by how You play that mech.
Get a feel for the loadouts you feel compliment your play and then play those mechs more.
Many variants can fill different roles with different loadouts so switch weapons around and see what feels good.
Once this is done start pruning your mechs and keep the ones you really feel good in.

Except for a very rare few DHS are almost mandatory in every mech.
ENDO is never a bad thing IMO.
FF is situational. Sometimes it works, others not.
Use Smurfy. It is your friend.

I would suggest trying the Centurions if you want to go Mediums later.
All variants are good on the battlefield and they can fill ANY role with some imagination.

#17 Anti ARMD

Clone

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:43 AM

View PostMycrus, on 25 September 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Hey Anti ARMD - I like your nick, can you elaborate why?

And to those wondering - nope he/she aint my sock puppet..

Anyway back on topic - I would do at least elite for all mechs and then master ones that I really like the module slots for...

That's for people to guess and people to speculate about... I'm not about to miss out on some fun in the future. At present I'm enjoying the new player experience, even have a F8L 4man drop into one of them :P

View PostMycrus, on 26 September 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

Endo/dhs/FF/Artemis as required

Weapons for each mech

Engines and modules - move them around..

Biggest expenditure would be engines.. So plan your chassis purchases around engines that you own and want to move over... That will get u quickly into new mechs to keep it fresh...

Sadly, this economy is fun only if you have premium... Without it the grind has become painfully toxic...

The past economy spoiled the playerbase, I know my main account builds from the engine and endo upgrades and around. That results in nearly every machine using XL engines for just that individual machine, it's expensive but one way to design unique builds and specific roles for machines...

But as mentioned look at the common engines that you can sport across multiple chassis, will save money in the long run. Even completely build machines you use quite often!

#18 Draconis March

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

View PostAnti ARMD, on 25 September 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

Whilst they can SAY something is coming, until they give a detailed post on how it functions and works with the current systems THEN gives it a solid and firm release date... learn to treat it like CW or UI2.0... a carrot on their stick...

This. After all, we all know what they SAID about 3rd person too, but look how that turned out.

#19 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:18 AM

If it's a mech you think you'd like to keep, then upgrade it. Some of the upgrades you will buy like engines, ammo, weapons, and even modules can be swapped into different mechs. Make every mech you plan to keep the best it can be, which typically means using c-bills for upgrades. Having said that, there are some upgrades that are c-bill sink holes. These are DHS, Artemis, Endo, and FF. The reason I say they are sinkholes is that they are mech specific, which means you need to spend 1.5 mill c-bills for each mech that you want to have DHS on, and that if you ever decide to switch back to SHS, Standard guidance, structure or armor, each will cost an additional expenditure of c-bills, so use smurfy and plan carefully, at least initially.

#20 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 25 September 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

Since you own 6 heavy mechs I would get at least 3 thru elite, after you sell (if you want to) them not sure, but think then even if you sold all of them, after getting thru basic on the next heavy (3 mechs thru basic) could go straight to master with whatever one you want.

PGI also said 3PV would never be the standard and now it's in every match. Take these things with a grain of salt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users