More Leggings Than An 80's Gym.

20 replies to this topic

#1 Namerof

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

While this game has been pretty well executed overall(in my opinion), one issue in particular has been bothering me--legging. In most Mechwarrior games legging was important to get the most value out of your salvage, as well as a huge tactical bonus, the vast majority of which came from having the ability to completely blow the leg off. As I'm sure most of you reading this know, while you can completely damage a leg, you can't really destroy the leg, which oftentimes leaves the dead leg as a massive shield for the other.

What I propose to rectify this is to keep the current system in place, but add that if you keep shooting the dead leg it is blown off completely(or cut off, rather, as would be the case with lasers). This would immobilize the mech in its entirety, and in some cases tilt it over(especially when ammo explosions happen). In addition to those effects, a massive c-bill bonus should be added for mechs that are destroyed in such a fashion with all other hardpoints intact to represent that while you took a riskier method to destroy a mech, you reap the rewards of having more to salvage. Personally I would make this a multiplier based on the number of filled hard-points as well as the type of items in them(an undestroyed ppc worth more than a med laser, etc). A cored and stripped atlas is worth substantially less than a double-legged one with its expensive engine and weapons intact--the game should reflect that. I also feel that adding a separate hitbox for the crotch area is needed, and should cause a double-limp effect when taken out, as while the main drive system is taken out, the electronic gearing would allow the lower legs to work for a penguin-style type of walk.

Adding such a system would open up many new and interesting styles of gameplay to the meta. First, a tipped mechwarrior wouldnt be out of the game, just wherever the ragdoll effect dropped them. This would mean that so long as they didnt fall on their face and/or back, they would have the ability to fire and could still provide intel. This would add a unique caviat when making the decision between choosing a humanoid mech versus the non-humanoid ones, as having the arm range of motion still available while you are downed could be important.

Further, this opens up a huge set of options for potential modules to help mitigate the effects of being legged or "dickshot." Directional jumpjets, for example, as a module upgrade or individual item would have the effect of automatically self-righting tipped mechs(or tripped ones, whenever that is put back in). Redundant drive differentials as a module would make it so that were you to have your crotch hit box destroyed, you would maintain a greater speed and have reduced penguin-walking(however, were such a section completely blown off, you would still suffer the same consequences as a double-legging, as described above). Additionally, adding a skill subset that allows for better control while crotch-boxed or legged could be added to the mech/pilot exp tree, which I would highly recommend calling crazy-legs.

Overall, not only would this add additional depth to the game more in-line with the franchise, I think it would lead to a more memorable gameplay experience overall. Imagine how epic the game would feel if you were the last raven in the game being chased by the enemy team, only to lead them to your atlas buddy that happened to fall perfectly on it's side after being double legged so as to allow the perfect AC20 shot down a narrow corridor. Imagine how many laughs you'd have recalling the game you lost due to a Victor face scraping its way to the cap like this because it was double-legged early and fell face forward

#2 Trynn

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

Simply put,

Hell No, I personally enjoy Leggings where they are now, as opposed to previous games which it was an instant kill.

#3 Namerof

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostTrynn, on 04 October 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

Simply put,

Hell No, I personally enjoy Leggings where they are now, as opposed to previous games which it was an instant kill.

You don't read very well, do you?

#4 Mechwarrior0311

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationIllinois, United States

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

I dont think this is a good idea, and I think the way they dealt with what you are proposing is simply by having you blow off the other leg which then instantly kills the mech.

By being able to sever a leg completely and then cause the mech to tip over, it makes it harder to shoot the mech, in taller mechs like an Atlas, you have to be back a ways to shoot at the ground, you would essentially be causing balance issues in the game by allowing this. Many mechs could use new ways to power off and become invisible and then power on and start shooting people from behind etc..

I know to you it sounds like a cool new way to play MWO and a more realistic way to play it, and perhaps it is. But from a gameplay perspective and to make a more appealing online game and a more competitive atmosphere, it wouldnt be, by any standards.

Thats the way I see it, anyway.

Edited by Mechwarrior0311, 04 October 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#5 Rovertoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

I don't agree. If the leg blew off, you would lose the shield, as you mentioned, which I think is a bad thing. Mechs don't last long enough as it is. Also, if the leg just fell off and the mech rag dolled, that would be pretty cool, but it would immobilize the mech (which is what you were going for, I guess) and it would just flop around on the ground, not really being able to shoot anything until the pilot gets killed or he quits from the boredom of being left facedown on the field.

I like the system now, My only buff with legs is actually that the crotch area is counted as center torso, and not legs. So my real buff is with the ease of hitting the CT.

#6 Namerof

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

1) What balance issues?

2) Powering off and becoming invisible and shooting people in the back is already in the game and something I use all the time unless I know the mech is likely to have a BAP. I did it twice the other day as a matter of fact: the first one had an entire team chase me on caustic valley, powered down behind a hill, waited till the team passed, legged the raven that would be the only person able to contest my capping, and then ditched their 3 assaults in the middle of the map while I capped for a 1v4 win. Second time, 7 people were still up and I tried to the same thing with no weapons remaining, but a splatapult happened to pass within 200 meters--it didn't end well.

3) The problem is that a legged mech isn't a dead mech by any stretch of the imagination unless all its guns are face down, or straight up and nobody walks over to them. It still has a power core, a pilot, and all the weapons intact.

4) How does it lower competitiveness in any fashion? If anything, what I suggest promotes it as it is a way to increase score for increased risk, and would encourage people who already have a damaged and limping leg primed for being blown off to hold points, as if they get tipped on a point, they are still contesting it until they are finished off.

5) If a tipped over mech is hard to shoot for anyone playing this game, this mechanic isn't the issue.

Please do not make arbitrary statements without supporting them, as that entirely defeats the purpose of posts such as these.

View PostRovertoo, on 04 October 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

I don't agree. If the leg blew off, you would lose the shield, as you mentioned, which I think is a bad thing. Mechs don't last long enough as it is. Also, if the leg just fell off and the mech rag dolled, that would be pretty cool, but it would immobilize the mech (which is what you were going for, I guess) and it would just flop around on the ground, not really being able to shoot anything until the pilot gets killed or he quits from the boredom of being left facedown on the field.

I like the system now, My only buff with legs is actually that the crotch area is counted as center torso, and not legs. So my real buff is with the ease of hitting the CT.

Which is why I suggested a separate hitbox for that section, as that region is definitely outside of the ct on many mechs.

#7 Trynn

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

I read just fine thank you,

Even if it is an over complicated self congratulatory wall of fluff.

Bottom Line: Is a legged mech has a very short life expectancy as it stands. as they become an instant target, It is rare for a 1 legged mech do much but be turned into a brief target.

Some of what you propose is reminisent of TT legged mech rules , and in this case would add very little game, If the victim lasts much beyond the fall, it is probable that the fight has swept past it and now he is usless and bored.

You see at as depth and flavour, I see it as unneed complication without value

#8 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

Personally I think double legging is a deplorable act and is discouraged within my unit. It robs your opponent of an honorable death in combat. Single legging might be the only way to slow down a fast mech, but then the torso should be targeted. Taking both is bad form IMO.

I'd like to see it changed to:
1 leg, as is now.
2 legs, your mech is now a turret. At least you can still go down guns blazing.

#9 Namerof

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostTrynn, on 04 October 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

I read just fine thank you,

Even if it is an over complicated self congratulatory wall of fluff.

Bottom Line: Is a legged mech has a very short life expectancy as it stands. as they become an instant target, It is rare for a 1 legged mech do much but be turned into a brief target.

Some of what you propose is reminisent of TT legged mech rules , and in this case would add very little game, If the victim lasts much beyond the fall, it is probable that the fight has swept past it and now he is usless and bored.

You see at as depth and flavour, I see it as unneed complication without value

In your first response you imply that what I'm saying would limit the lifespan of the mech, when in fact it would do quite the opposite, by definition. This shows that your reading comprehension is a bit off, equally proven here with your self congratulatory statement which is totally unfounded by the body of any text I've composed thus far. That being said, I would fully agree with you on your legged mech becoming a prime target, however the point of being useless--especially in those situations I have explicitly supplied in the wall of fluff(which is only a handful paragraphs)--is false, especially with those supporting modules. In addition, your counterpoint points out exactly why such a mechanic would have value, as right now a 1 legged mech doesn't do much because there isn't a system to allow it to do much. Such a system is self-fulfilling. Further, in either of the situations where the pilot is bored and/or feeling useless, they can always eject(esc)... ... ... or they can tell the team to bring the fight back to their location, where they could still be doing a great many things, especially if they have a BAP or ECM, leading to great tactical potential for teams that are willing to make those plays. Even if all they are doing is supplying targeting info, they are still being useful, which is hardly complicated, nor is the implementation of such a system as destruction of limbs is obviously in place. In a tactical shooter, the expansion of tactics should be increased, not decreased.

While your final statement of value is certainly more opinion based, I would be hard pressed to consider the option to "stay and play" where as of now you are useless as having and inherent trend toward less value by any definition--literally so in the form of compensation you would receive for leaving the expensive parts of the mech intact and pristine.

#10 Namerof

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

View Postcdlord, on 04 October 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

Personally I think double legging is a deplorable act and is discouraged within my unit. It robs your opponent of an honorable death in combat. Single legging might be the only way to slow down a fast mech, but then the torso should be targeted. Taking both is bad form IMO.

I'd like to see it changed to:
1 leg, as is now.
2 legs, your mech is now a turret. At least you can still go down guns blazing.

That's actually more what my system is doing as they would have to go through all the internals of the leg, and then continue doing significant damage to blow it off completely, or switch to the other leg, and then blow one off. If you don't consider the amount of fighting you can do in that time period a fighting chance, then you're not putting enough leg armor on your mechs, or taking far too much off.

In fact, seeing as how most mech legs tend to have more armor than any particular torso section, you'd have more of a fighting chance(especially with an XL engine), as they'd have to do enough damage to get through all that armor, then all the internals, and then do even more damage to blow it completely off.

#11 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

the legging system in the game is one of the best choices they've made. I honestly don't feel arms should fall off immediately once they're destroyed, just be a useless shield until further structural damage is taken or the side torso is also destroyed.

Basically, a 3rd set of HP to actually remove the section from the mech. It was proposed back in closed beta, but never got much attention. It would solve the 'invincible dead leg' while still keeping things in the same ballpark as to how they are now gameplaywise

#12 Mechwarrior0311

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

What you are proposing will grant a second life to mechs who would otherwise be sitting ducks in a match in the way it is now. By having mechs tip over, in a "furball" as my clan calls it, or a massive skirmish of chaos with mechs shooting each other... a light mech tipping over but still being functional may cause a situation where it is no longer targettable by say the Atlas that was firing at it, because now its laying flat on the ground and the Atlas would have to back up and be restricted by terrain or other mechs around it, or would just go unnoticed entirely and would be sitting there shooting at everyone sideways and so on.

Im not going to go into every balance issue this would cause, anyone with a brain can sit back and think about what you are proposing and use their imagination to come up with possible scenarios.

When developing a video game, they have to not only consider "canon" and everything of that nature, and also develop a good video game that is fun to play and executes properly without too many wierd circumstances that arent understood by the average player, or that could create more bugs, or bad gameplay scenarios in general.

The way they have dealt with legging right now is perfect. If you lose a leg you are essentially a sitting duck, so dont get legged.

I dont think you want to hear any other answer than people agreeing with you on a side note, but anyway that is why I think they should leave it the way it is. For fluid gameplay purposes.

#13 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

[ leg blown off = topple] was tested long ago, it was miserable for everything but heavies and assaults. afaik the damage transfers inward when the leg is blown atm, i'm pretty happy with that system and don't want to see fights dragged out even longer.

Edited by Geist Null, 04 October 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#14 Mechwarrior0311

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:13 PM

View PostGeist Null, on 04 October 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

[ leg blown off = topple] was tested long ago, it was miserable for everything but heavies and assaults. afaik the damage transfers inward when the leg is blown atm, i'm pretty happy with that system and don't want to see fights dragged out even longer.

Strange I dont remember that test... I did have some breaks during it however, I was there from early early in closed beta though.
Anyway, I just want them to bring collision back. Who cares about legging, Im going to get back in my Ilya and go ramming speed into lights and mediums!

Edited by Mechwarrior0311, 04 October 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#15 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:20 PM

View PostMechwarrior0311, on 04 October 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

Strange I dont remember that test... I did have some breaks during it however, I was there from early early in closed beta though.
Anyway, I just want them to bring collision back. Who cares about legging, Im going to get back in my Ilya and go ramming speed into lights and mediums!

you didn't miss anything but the pain, the game has over all gotten better, not worse, regardless of what the forums tell you.

#16 Mechwarrior0311

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

Oh I know, if over half the people who complain about the game now were here early in closed beta, well... thats probably why they werent invited now isnt it.

Its been a long hard road. Im really proud of where the game is now, and what is to come, its just going to keep getting better. Thats why I forked over the dough for legendary founder when we were finally given the chance to, and why I have continued to support the game by spending money and buying Overlord and Sabre and Boars Head and Ilya and so on and so forth :D

#17 Namerof

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostMonky, on 04 October 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

the legging system in the game is one of the best choices they've made. I honestly don't feel arms should fall off immediately once they're destroyed, just be a useless shield until further structural damage is taken or the side torso is also destroyed.

Basically, a 3rd set of HP to actually remove the section from the mech. It was proposed back in closed beta, but never got much attention. It would solve the 'invincible dead leg' while still keeping things in the same ballpark as to how they are now gameplaywise

My point exactly.

#18 -Muta-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 749 posts
  • Locationstill remains a mistery.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostNamerof, on 04 October 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

While this game has been pretty well executed overall(in my opinion), one issue in particular has been bothering me--legging. In most Mechwarrior games legging was important to get the most value out of your salvage, as well as a huge tactical bonus, the vast majority of which came from having the ability to completely blow the leg off. As I'm sure most of you reading this know, while you can completely damage a leg, you can't really destroy the leg, which oftentimes leaves the dead leg as a massive shield for the other.

What I propose to rectify this is to keep the current system in place, but add that if you keep shooting the dead leg it is blown off completely(or cut off, rather, as would be the case with lasers). This would immobilize the mech in its entirety, and in some cases tilt it over(especially when ammo explosions happen). In addition to those effects, a massive c-bill bonus should be added for mechs that are destroyed in such a fashion with all other hardpoints intact to represent that while you took a riskier method to destroy a mech, you reap the rewards of having more to salvage. Personally I would make this a multiplier based on the number of filled hard-points as well as the type of items in them(an undestroyed ppc worth more than a med laser, etc). A cored and stripped atlas is worth substantially less than a double-legged one with its expensive engine and weapons intact--the game should reflect that. I also feel that adding a separate hitbox for the crotch area is needed, and should cause a double-limp effect when taken out, as while the main drive system is taken out, the electronic gearing would allow the lower legs to work for a penguin-style type of walk.

Adding such a system would open up many new and interesting styles of gameplay to the meta. First, a tipped mechwarrior wouldnt be out of the game, just wherever the ragdoll effect dropped them. This would mean that so long as they didnt fall on their face and/or back, they would have the ability to fire and could still provide intel. This would add a unique caviat when making the decision between choosing a humanoid mech versus the non-humanoid ones, as having the arm range of motion still available while you are downed could be important.

Further, this opens up a huge set of options for potential modules to help mitigate the effects of being legged or "dickshot." Directional jumpjets, for example, as a module upgrade or individual item would have the effect of automatically self-righting tipped mechs(or tripped ones, whenever that is put back in). Redundant drive differentials as a module would make it so that were you to have your crotch hit box destroyed, you would maintain a greater speed and have reduced penguin-walking(however, were such a section completely blown off, you would still suffer the same consequences as a double-legging, as described above). Additionally, adding a skill subset that allows for better control while crotch-boxed or legged could be added to the mech/pilot exp tree, which I would highly recommend calling crazy-legs.

Overall, not only would this add additional depth to the game more in-line with the franchise, I think it would lead to a more memorable gameplay experience overall. Imagine how epic the game would feel if you were the last raven in the game being chased by the enemy team, only to lead them to your atlas buddy that happened to fall perfectly on it's side after being double legged so as to allow the perfect AC20 shot down a narrow corridor. Imagine how many laughs you'd have recalling the game you lost due to a Victor face scraping its way to the cap like this because it was double-legged early and fell face forward

WOW TLDR honestly

#19 Namerof

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostMechwarrior0311, on 04 October 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

What you are proposing will grant a second life to mechs who would otherwise be sitting ducks in a match in the way it is now. By having mechs tip over, in a "furball" as my clan calls it, or a massive skirmish of chaos with mechs shooting each other... a light mech tipping over but still being functional may cause a situation where it is no longer targettable by say the Atlas that was firing at it, because now its laying flat on the ground and the Atlas would have to back up and be restricted by terrain or other mechs around it, or would just go unnoticed entirely and would be sitting there shooting at everyone sideways and so on.

Im not going to go into every balance issue this would cause, anyone with a brain can sit back and think about what you are proposing and use their imagination to come up with possible scenarios.

When developing a video game, they have to not only consider "canon" and everything of that nature, and also develop a good video game that is fun to play and executes properly without too many wierd circumstances that arent understood by the average player, or that could create more bugs, or bad gameplay scenarios in general.

The way they have dealt with legging right now is perfect. If you lose a leg you are essentially a sitting duck, so dont get legged.

I dont think you want to hear any other answer than people agreeing with you on a side note, but anyway that is why I think they should leave it the way it is. For fluid gameplay purposes.

While I disagree with you on many points, your assumption that I don't want to hear any other answer than people agreeing with me is dead wrong. As your statement doesn't do that, I actually appreciate it greatly, and thank you for taking the time to at least constructively address what I have written. My main problem is that I don't want to hear people disagreeing with me without stating why, or in a fashion that shows ignorance and/or failure to actually read what I have posted, and as a result will call them out on it when and where that happens.

Now, addressing your comment specifically, what you say argues more toward the point that if a light is legged, then gets their leg blown off completely and tipped, that your Atlas should be able to go over and stomp them out like a rhino on a fire(which I'm all for, personally[and is something Rhinos actually do in the wild, for those not in the know]). In addition, the real solution to the situation you've provided would be just leaving the area and taking the cap versus trying to kill them once that happened, as the other point that you're neglecting is the MASSIVE C-Bill bonus you'd get for leaving all the expensive stuff intact. On top of this, I think you're severely discounting the likelihood of being in a position to fire or do much of anything once tipped, especially without the supporting modules. That would be the exception--not the rule. As the supporting modules would put them back into an upright position, that would actually solve the issue you describe as well, further decreasing the likelihood of such an issue occurring.

#20 Namerof

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostMutaroc, on 09 October 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

WOW TLDR honestly

It's a handful of paragraphs. If that's too much for you to read, that explains a lot--honestly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users