#1 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

CW: Planet-Specific Maps

There are 3000+ planets to fight over in the Inner Sphere. It was mentioned that they are going to try to implement as many of those as they can. They also mentioned that players will be able to vote for the map in the pre-match lobby.

When CW Phase 3 rolls out, I think each planet should be tied to specific maps to help solidify its identity and give it character — which furthers the immersion, and to some degree, the tactical choices when selecting planets to attack.

For example, the Federated Commonwealth planet of Sevren might be tied to Caustic Valley, River City, River City Night, Forest Colony Snow, and Forest Colony maps only. So when fighting over Sevren, only those maps would be available to choose from.

Background Fluff

While a specific planet might use multiple maps, only the fluff/description from the planet would be used, not the fluff from the maps being used.

For example, the River City map comes with its own fluff (http://mwomercs.com/...maps/river-city) but when used for a specific planet like Sevren, it would use Sevren's fluff instead (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Sevren).

They could possibly even have a dynamic naming mechanic that renames the map to the planet's name instead, to further add to the immersion.

#2 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Your idea is what I've been hoping for, though I'd like to see more map types before CW (ie: island/forest/jungle/desert/moon/etc).

#3 -Muta-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 749 posts
  • Locationstill remains a mistery.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

A jungle map with trees every where

#4 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

To expound further, an example of fluff for the Forest Colony map on Sevren might look like this:

Sevren - Forest Colony

Posted Image

Sevren - Forest Colony Snow

Posted Image

Edited by Bhael Fire, 09 October 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#5 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 09 October 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Your idea is what I've been hoping for, though I'd like to see more map types before CW (ie: island/forest/jungle/desert/moon/etc).

Yes indeed, there needs to be WAY more maps. But I'm fairly certain once the main features are nailed down they'll focus on implementing a lot more maps.

#6 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

They are going to need a lot more maps...... (Grammar? That doesn't sound right....)

#7 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

This. +1.

#8 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

View Postcdlord, on 09 October 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

They are going to need a lot more maps...... (Grammar? That doesn't sound right....)

Many more maps would be the correct grammar. A lot is actually a singular thing, not multiple individual items as it is commonly and incorrectly used. Thus, you could go to an auction and buy a lot of maps, (i.e. several maps that were grouped to be sold as a single unit), or you could go to the cartographer to purchase many maps.

Edited by LauLiao, 09 October 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#9 SaJeel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

I like the OPs suggestion +1

Edited by SaJeel, 09 October 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#10 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

I hope the developers add planetary views when Community Warfare is implemented, such as...

Posted Image

#11 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

View PostMutaroc, on 09 October 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

A jungle map with trees every where

I would love a dense jungle map!

I'm also hoping that they will make unique maps for certain planets like Outreach, with it's twin continents Romulus and Remus (a desert wasteland).

#12 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

people had better start buying a lot more of the Sabre Reinforcements package if you want to see 3000 new maps funded.

#13 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

View Postfocuspark, on 10 October 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

people had better start buying a lot more of the Sabre Reinforcements package if you want to see 3000 new maps funded.

Huh?

I don't think anyone asked for 3000 new maps anywhere in this thread. :D

I suggested that each planet be tied to one or more existing maps to give it character....with a couple unique maps that are tied to the more prominent planets in the lore.

#14 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

Tukayyid would require its own map alone.

Edited by General Taskeen, 10 October 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#15 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 10 October 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

Tukayyid would require its own map alone.

Yes! Exactly. Having the prominent planets use their own unique maps and then using existing generic maps for the thousands of backwater planets would help flesh out the Inner Sphere and give it some palpable character.

For example, it might create a situation where players have to decide whether to capture the frozen wasteland planet Trondheim (Frozen City and Frozen City Night maps) or the lush, tropical planet of Jarett (Jungle map).

This would add an interesting dynamic to "map" selection by espousing it with the tactical selection of planets to attack.

#16 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

View PostBhael Fire, on 10 October 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

Huh?

I don't think anyone asked for 3000 new maps anywhere in this thread. B)

I suggested that each planet be tied to one or more existing maps to give it character....with a couple unique maps that are tied to the more prominent planets in the lore.

Even such... setting up a database of which maps are associated with which planet is time consuming. Not to the level I originally envisioned based on my misunderstanding of you original recommendation, but still a cost which could be better spent on other things.

Even so, it would be nice to know which maps were tied to planets your team owned... so you knew what to practice on.

#17 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

View Postfocuspark, on 11 October 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

Even such... setting up a database of which maps are associated with which planet is time consuming.

Not at all. They have to set up the database of planets for CW anyway. In that database, it includes the planet's name, the tactical value of that planet and its resources, a fluff description...and...*drum roll* which maps are available to it.

#18 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

View PostBhael Fire, on 11 October 2013 - 09:39 AM, said:

Not at all. They have to set up the database of planets for CW anyway. In that database, it includes the planet's name, the tactical value of that planet and its resources, a fluff description...and...*drum roll* which maps are available to it.

If the map assignments are random, yes it's free. If they're coherent somebody needs to either manual select them or, if they're assigned via data, write the algo which selects them. Either way, it's not free.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of ROI (which is subjective). Honestly, given the **** poor design decisions the devs have made thus far - I think I prefer them spending time assigning maps to planets as opposed to making any more changes to the game. <sigh>

#19 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

I believe this is th intention...eventually.. unless I miss understood what was said in the presentation at the launch party, but that won't happen until cw is running, initially will be abstract combat maps but later once all's working a more complex system.

Big question is with the current developemment speed, how many people will be left, to make it viable, for increased content, as most games tend to have population drops after four years, leaving the die hards..

#20 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

I would love to see a Redwood Forest Map and a Swamp Map for MWO! B)

Redwood Forest - Jump-jetting 'Mechs can hide in the tall trees. Would be awesome for ambushes!
Posted Image

Swamp - Bog environment with intense thunderstorms and water goes up waist deep on 'Mechs.
Posted Image

Edited by Maverick01, 11 October 2013 - 10:45 AM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users