- - - - -

How Do I Apologize?

13 replies to this topic

#1 CyberHawks

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

I am fairly new to Mechwarrior Online. I make a lot of mistakes, and today was no exception. During a fight with a lot of mechs in a tight area, I mistakenly shot a teammate until I moved around enough to see it was a teammate instead of an enemy mech. It was unintentional, but I have no way of getting a message to him to apologize. So this is the next best thing, even though I'll be getting grief, I'm sure.

I understand I am not allowed to post his name, so on behalf of all us newbies who screw up...I'm sorry!

Any advice on how to avoid doing it again would be appreciated.

#2 Madara Uchiha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

Its all good man, things happen in a game like this. My advice would be to always stay back far enough to where you know your weapons are clear of teammates. If I do hurt someone ( and by hurt someone i mean they take a full blown direct blast) Its usally just best to appologize right away.

#3 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,392 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

The fact you are remorseful is enough, I'm pretty sure anyone who say's they have never shot a team mate is lying. :)

Now being a team killer and trolling will not go well, but error's happen.

I'm sure you will triple check what mech you have targeted from now on. B)

#4 Solveig

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

any time you pilot a new mech, sometimes it's good to walk clear of everybody else, and fire a couple shots to see where your weapons fire from. sometimes the lower-slung arm mounts can tend to hit nothing BUT your teammates in tight quarters. you might look like a dork shooting at nothing in the back of the group, but it's more embarrassing to shear 20 pts of armor off one of your buddies

#5 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

Yep, just use the ingame chat, t by default. Nobody likes being teamkilled, but most people are pretty understanding; in a game with chaotic firefights, it's going to happen, especially when there are always new faces around. If you really really feel bad about it, you can always look them up on the forums and send them a private message, though not everyone comes here to post.

#6 CyberHawks

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:24 PM

Thank you, I sent him a message through the forum. At least I feel better that he knows it was unintentional. I did tell him it was my bad, using the ingame chat T. I also searched how to send a message to my team only, using Y. So I learned something.

And I will be triple checking my targets from now on!

#7 Kragg Relluf

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

Someone above said to test your weapons when in a new mech so that you know where they shoot from. This is good advice. They also said to do to this testing in-match. This is horrible advice - there is zero reason to test in-match. Instead, drop into the testing grounds and do it there. That's what they're there for.

If you do it in-match, you may give away your position to the enemy or accidentally hit a teamate. And trust me, it's way more embarrassing to friendly fire someone outside of combat than it is to hit them in combat. The latter is completely excusable; the former is not. Finally, those who test fire weapons in-game come of as either noobs or little kids who can't wait to see the pretty flash and hear the boom when they press the trigger.

#8 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

View PostKragg Relluf, on 26 October 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

Someone above said to test your weapons when in a new mech so that you know where they shoot from. This is good advice. They also said to do to this testing in-match. This is horrible advice - there is zero reason to test in-match. Instead, drop into the testing grounds and do it there. That's what they're there for.

If you do it in-match, you may give away your position to the enemy or accidentally hit a teamate. And trust me, it's way more embarrassing to friendly fire someone outside of combat than it is to hit them in combat. The latter is completely excusable; the former is not. Finally, those who test fire weapons in-game come of as either noobs or little kids who can't wait to see the pretty flash and hear the boom when they press the trigger.

There is one occasion, and one only, when I fire ranging rounds. And that's if I'm in a new mech on a hot map and want to watch my heat handling. If you do that, remember firearm safety.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

What's missing here is the actual answer to his question.

You can message others with T, for talk to all (including the bad guys). Y, for talk to team (the blue guys and green guys). And U for talk to lancemate (the ugly green triangle guys).

Within a match^

And I wouldn't worry about a single shot in the heat of battle. People only get upset if you do it at the very start, with no enemies in proximity, and aim directly at them.

#10 Duncan Aravain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 416 posts
  • LocationBehind you with a sharp tool...er,mech

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

Koniving: need to add "Intelligent and reasonable" to the start of your last sentence; cause you know how difficult some MWO players are. Otherwise, spot on post.

#11 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostCyberHawks, on 25 October 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

I mistakenly shot a teammate until I moved around enough to see it was a teammate instead of an enemy mech. It was unintentional, but I have no way of getting a message to him to apologize.

It was me, and your apology is accepted. No hard feelings at all. We all make mistakes from time to time. Now, back to the battlefield.

#12 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostKragg Relluf, on 26 October 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

Thank you.

Cant even begin to count the number of times I got shot in the back right after drop

#13 RapidFire7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 412 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

I accidentally killed my former battalion commander when his scout mech ran in front of my assault mech just as I was doing an alpha strike... we all do it - mistakes happen :P

#14 Geek Verve

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCentral Indiana, USA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

OP: The fact that you express regrets is about all anyone can ask for. I've been playing *a lot* for the past couple months, and things like that still happen with me on occasion. Just recently on Forest Colony, I spotted two enemy mechs making their way around behind the shipwreck. I happened to drop the second one just before it went behind and went around in persuit of the first. The Jager that popped back around to meet me received a full alpha+ from me, before I realized that triangle above his head was blue. Of course he said, "WTF are you shooting me?!" I responded with a quick, "So sorry. Thought there were two back there" and all was good - well, he didn't shoot me back, anyway.

I just got out of a match where at the very beginning, before I had even taken a step, I received a couple medium lasers to my rear torso. Slowly I turned in my Atlas to find a lone Raven looking at me. Since it appeared he may be sitting still to allow me to shoot him back and even the score, I was winning the inner battle against the urge to pop him in the cockpit with a quick laser blast. Then he said in chat, "Sorry. Mouse was in another window." That's all I needed to hear. Therefore, instead of, "Douche wad! Take your adderall!" my response was a more understanding, "It happens. Thanks for owning it."

I find most people are understanding about it, as long as you apologize/own up to it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users