Pros And Cons Of Various Input Devices

controller joystick mouse keyboard input comparison

2 replies to this topic

#1 Speccie

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

If this is in the wrong section, I apologize.
If someone else has already made a similar thread, I would appreciate direction to it.

After a significant amount of lurking, I've been unable to find any threads detailing the ups and downs of different controller types. I think it's time to fix that. I would appreciate it greatly if anyone would chime in with revisions, additions, or even just discussion.

So, without further ado, here it is.

Let's start with the standard mouse/keyboard setup. This is by far the most common combination of input devices used for PC gaming, and for good reason.

Pros:
-Even a below-average optical or laser mouse is very accurate, even more so compared to almost any other input device.
-Assuming you're not buying the cheapest mouse you can find, you're guaranteed at least five buttons (left/right click, middle click, scroll up/down).
-Freelook.
-Using a standard keyboard allows for easy transitioning between piloting and communication.
-Using a standard keyboard will allow you to map every single control and then some.

Cons:
-Highly unimmersive (not unimpressive. unimmersive).
-It is relatively easy to misposition one's hand on the keyboard due to the general uniformity of the surface (for example, putting one's fingers on Q Capslock A S instead of W A S D).
-If you aren't adequately practiced with a control scheme, key hunting can be an issue.
-Pitch, twist, turn, throttle. Two axes. see where this is going?
-No triggers.

The next most common device, I believe, is a gamepad. An xbox360 or ps3 controller is a prime example.

Pros:
-Enough axes for throttle, turn, twist, and pitch.
-Fairly high number of buttons allows for most commonly used controls to be mapped on the gamepad.
-(sixaxis only) Using MotionInJoy allows tilting the controller to be used as an axis.
-For many people, more comfortable than M+KB.
-Triggers. Enough said.

Cons:
-For the vast majority, sticks are simply less precise than mice for fine aiming.
-Need to switch to a keyboard if text communication is desired.
-No freelook.
-Not all necessary controls can be mapped to the gamepad.
-Relatively unimmersive.
-Less output range than a mouse (it's either turn speed or accuracy. there is no middle ground).

Here's the one every mechwarrior should have used at least once.

Joystick+KB

Pros:
-Some degree of immersion.
-In most cases, a significant number of buttons are readily accessible by the thumb (especially if we count all the directions on a POV hat. On a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital 3D (a nearly-outdated, mid-range joystick), there are a total of twelve buttons that the thumb can easily reach).
-Any decent joystick will have three or, more commonly, four axes.
-Placement of axes is fairly intuitive when used for mech piloting (twist and throttle, in particular).
-Usually fairly comfortable.
-Triggers. Enough said.

Cons:
-Still almost universally less accurate than a mouse.
-Less output range than a mouse.
-No freelook.
-Older joysticks (like the aforementioned wingman) may have centering issues.

Here's the one that I personally wish was mandatory.

Twin joysticks

Pros:
-Immersive.
-Depending on the model of the joystick(s), four to six axes will be readily available.
-Most, if not all, controls can be mapped to the joysticks.
-If positioned well, very comfortable.
-Leg and torso control on different hands.
-Not one, but TWO triggers!

Cons:
-As is with all things of its nature, less accurate than a mouse.
-Again, lower output range than a mouse.
-Need to transition to a keyboard if text communication is desired.
-Many new joysticks are not available with an ambidextrous grip.
-No freelook.

Here's the other one I wish was was mandatory.

HOTAS + Pedals

Pros:
-Highly immersive.
-Three separate sets of axes for three different types of movement (throttle, turning, and aim).
-High number of buttons available between joystick and throttle may eliminate need for keyboard controls.
-Probably the most intuitive control system as far as axis placement goes.
-Trigger = awesome.
-Throttle = awesome.
-Pedals = awesome.

Cons:
-Betcha can't guess what device is more accurate than this.
-Need to transition to a keyboard if text communication is desired.
-Yet again, lower output range than a mouse.
-No freelook.

Okay, now we're just getting silly.

KB+(Modified)KB*+Joystick+Nintendo 64 controller+Mouse

Pros:
-Five, count them, FIVE seperate input devices!
-Buttons, buttons everywhere.
-Total of six axes between N64 controller and joystick.
-Mouse allows for precision aiming.
-Joystick allows for consistent aiming while maneuvering.
-Modified KB uses isolated groups of keys to control related functions.
-Four, count them, FOUR triggers!
-Standard keyboard allows for text communication.
-8 axes total, counting the mouse.

Cons:
-What is this 'immersion' you speak of?
-Not enough desk space for both keyboards to be accessible at the same time.
-N64 controller is really, really impractical. And silly.
-This is actually my current setup. Why, you ask? Because shiggles.
-Entire control scheme is far too silly.

*Posted Image
Well, there are my thoughts, anyway.
If there are any grammatical errors, I apologize. I started typing this at some ungodly hour in the morning. I'm not quite sure when due to the fact that I keep my taskbar hidden and I'm too lazy to sit up so I can reach my mouse to check.

So yeah. There's my two cents.

Pretty much any form of response would be appreciated. Revisions, additions, questions, discussions, corrections, reactions...whatever.

...oh, and here's to my first forum post.
*holds up a glass of wine*

#2 Besterino

• PipPipPip
  • The Icon
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:58 AM

Well, in my own humble opinion it's really a question of taste and then what you're used to. Back in the days I knew someone who (quite successfully) played first person shooters with a Logitech Cyberman2 (boy did that look weird). Wouldn't work for me but worked quite well for him.

Also, it really depends on the game you play:

I mean, nothing beats a joystick in your main hand if you "play flying a plane". What you have in your left then depends on which (and in particular HOW MANY control options you need).

In Decent (good times), for example, I simply had to have a Joystick with a coolie hat (is this the right term? don't remember), cause I needed the hat to strafe up/down/left/right in the 3D-environment (the left hand controlled forward/reverse and axis turn through WASD)... I think I killed 5 coolie hats of the Logitech Wingman Extreme with this game....

Back to MWO: I find that you need quite a lot of keys to effectively play the game: In particular I don't want to move my hand(s) away from whatever controls the movement of my Mech. Therefore, I need as much buttons "as possible" at my fingetips. Since I do use a mouse with my right (main) hand for targetting (you can't beat a mouse for that IMHO) with the Mech's arms and torso-movement (can you even split the two in MWO?) and simply cannot use more that 3 mouse buttons without losing my ability to aim (at least that's true for all the mice where most additional buttons are activated with the thumb), I have to make the most out of my left hand.

The three mouse buttons are assigned to: 1 fire selected weapon Group, 2 fire weapon Group 4, 3 fire weapon group 5.

Now, what do I want/have to control with the left (remember: always while still being able to move)? 4 for basic movement, 1 for jumpjets, 1 ECM-mode-switch, 1 night Vision, 1 heat vision, 1 overview map, 1 center torso to legs, 1 throttle=0, 1 normal zoom toggle, 1 enhanced zoom, 1 target enemy, 1 score board (yeah, I wanna know at any time how many are left of my/enemy Team), 3 weapon groups 1,2 and 6.

That makes 18 keys. Some time ago I did look and only found one device family capable of being on par with keyboard functionality while offering some additional benefits: keyboard-replacement-thingyies like the Razer Orbweaver or Logitech G19. The key benefit for both (in my view) is basically that you have additional options/buttons for your left thumb (which with a keyboard is limited - well, for me - to the spacebar)... oh...and *woohoo* they have illuminated keys. Is it worth it? Don't know for you but I bought the Orbweaver and love it for MWO. It takes some getting used to but now I can control all I need with ease and still move/fight at the same time. (My) Problem(s) solved.

Well all except one: If I want to CHAT/TYPE, it gets real messy ;-) ...but that's probably true for ANY kind of input device/combination...

#3 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:28 AM

First off, using a stick to aim in MWO currently is simply not feasible. You will not be able to come close to the levels of accuracy possible using a mouse.
If you use custom scripts etc to make your stick work in "absolute" mode instead of "relative" mode, then it *might* be comparable, but I do not know of anyone who has gotten this to work perfectly.
I certainly do not know of any competitive players that aim with stick.

There are definite advantages to having analog control for speed and turning, however due to the way MWO currently works, it is not really feasible to use these either. When using analog speed, if you open the map, you stop. Analog turning also seems to have a hard-coded deadzone which I cannot remove, making it fairly useless. If it did not have that, then yeah, analog turn would be great.

Also bear in mind that you never, ever want to mix speed and turning onto the same object. For example, speed and turning on the x and y axes of the same stick simply does not work as you get "bleed through" (Turn when you only want to change speed etc) - you need to make sure that you can operate speed and turning totally independent of each other.
What I found works quite well is both analog and digital turning together. For example, a set of rudders (or a set of racing pedals merged with the UJR app (see sig) into a virtual rudder ) and keyboard both controlling turning. Use the rudder for fine analog correction and the keys for quick turns.

Finally, console controllers have a quirk you need to be aware of. The aperture (The hole the stick sits in) is ROUND, not square like normal PC joysticks. Therefore, it is not possible to hit full up and full left at the same time on a joypad. This can be solved using my app "Pad Throttle" (see sig).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users