Disconnecting... Punish, Not Reward

29 replies to this topic

#1 Mujinn

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

People who launch and DC need to either gain absolutely nothing for dc-ing in a game or be harshly punish say lose of 100 exp on that mech and fined 20k credits. The punishment idea is like this, you launch for your faction, or under merc contract failure to comply with your duty or contract should result in fines and punishments. Fining and punishing would result in less people dc-ing on purpose just to get to a new game to dc and get free exp and credits.

#2 operator0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

What about those of us who are stuck with Comcast and experience dropped packets on a semi regular basis? Three dropped packets in a row disconnects me from the server. If this is implemented, I would like to see a longer threshold for disconnection, or at least a rejoin option.

In any event, I don't believe hardly any players disconnect on purpose.

#3 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

Just take away incentive. All that is needed.

#4 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

View Postoperator0, on 23 February 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

I disagree. I have seen the same person, several drops in a row, DC right as the match started. I have seen this happen with several different people. I can understand the occasional DC, I can even understand if it happens several times in one night, BUT It is a statistical improbability that a bad connection will cause you to DC every match you have several times in a row, and only RIGHT AFTER THE MATCH STARTS.

Edited by MnDragon, 23 February 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#5 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

Uh, you already get zero money or XP earned after you disconnect if your mech is alive. Once you die you get full rewards, but those people who DC at the start of a match actually earn nothing. No money, no XP, no win. If their mech dies, they still get a death added to their tally.

Edit: As far as the same person D/Cing, I've had friends crash ad soon as they tried to enter a match in multiple occasions without being taken out of the matchmaker. This is every time they try to start a match, and it leads to several games in a row starting with the same person D/Cing. It's not malicious, it's a bug.

Edited by Josef Nader, 23 February 2014 - 09:12 AM.

#6 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

Not for this.
Last year, I was having issues with my network card that would cause me to disconnect at completely random intervals.
So I should be punished because of circumstances beyond my control?

#7 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

I belive if you DC before the game launches, or even immediately after, you don't get any rewards.

View PostMnDragon, on 23 February 2014 - 09:10 AM, said:

I disagree. I have seen the same person, several drops in a row, DC right as the match started. I have seen this happen with several different people. I can understand the occasional DC, I can even understand if it happens several times in one night, BUT It is a statistical improbability that a bad connection will cause you to DC every match you have several times in a row, and only RIGHT AFTER THE MATCH STARTS.
If you spot someone DCing constantly, report them so the staff can look into it. It is a TOS violation, and staff can see where the DC came from (person dropped off intentionally or was dropped due to "signal loss"

#8 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

And then you get to problems like the bug that was just hot fixed... fairly sure that wasn't people "intentionally" crashing. ;)

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

View Postoperator0, on 23 February 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

What about those of us who are stuck with Comcast and experience dropped packets on a semi regular basis? Three dropped packets in a row disconnects me from the server. If this is implemented, I would like to see a longer threshold for disconnection, or at least a rejoin option.

We need to suck it up, its a game. But having the chance to reconnect to a dropped game would be a good thing.

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 23 February 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

Not for this.
Last year, I was having issues with my network card that would cause me to disconnect at completely random intervals.
So I should be punished because of circumstances beyond my control?

yes. And because you are you. ;)

#11 Mujinn

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

simple fix for the ones who honestly DC to no fault of their own is to give a reconnect option. That way you can get back in and earn what you came to do. If you are dead but the time you get back you still get your lose exp and credits for at least trying to make it back into the game.

for them of you saying you already get nothing then why do the same people time after time dc at the start of every game. they have to be getting something or they would not be doing it. Most people would give up after 2 or 3 disconnects in a row, or at least contact costumer service to try to fix the issue, or restart comp or something instead of coming in every game just to dc.

#12 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

on the development side of things: you could register manual clicks on the disconnect button while the mech was still aive and action against that if you really wanted to.

#13 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:39 AM

Why you want to punish people who get a d/c? You can't say whether it was intentionally or not.

What we need is:

1.) What you can deny is the match rewards for not participating. Say when you d/c at match start you get nothing at all, because you basically did nothing.

2.) When you d/c mid game you earn all bonuses for assist/dmg/kills/... up to the point when you got the d/c but no basic match rewards like 25k for the win.

3.) When you die and leave the game before it ended, you earn all bonuses for assist/dmg/kills/... up to the point when you left but no basic match rewards like 25k for the win.

With those suggestions:

1.) People are present for the whole duration of a game if they want full rewards. If you don't die, you don't have to watch others.
2.) If you did well but die, you won't lose much if you quit. Though staying in game and helping others gives full rewards.
3.) People get only rewards for participation and their performance.
4.) d/c on purpose grants no rewards as well as suicide farming.

Like mentioned above, a re-connect option is appreciated. That said, your mech should be already standing at your spawn point and you should only be able to come back if not already died. But often enough teams start with 1 or more less without their mechs standing at spawn.

View PostNextGame, on 23 February 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

on the development side of things: you could register manual clicks on the disconnect button while the mech was still aive and action against that if you really wanted to.

Unplug your cable and you get a d/c without pressing a button. ;)

#14 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 23 February 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

When you d/c mid game you earn all bonuses for assist/dmg/kills/... up to the point when you got the d/c but no basic match rewards like 25k for the win.

NO. There is no reason to force people to watch crap play in order to get the full rewards. Quitting after getting killed is completely legit and forcing people to stay is cruel and unusual punishment. Forcing people to play through a crap match is one thing but expecting them to sit around and watch is another.

#15 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

Well, since UI 2.0's inception, I have had over 30 crashes, some random CTDs without warning, others memory allocation errors (which are much more common than from before the 2.0 patch).

Could these be prevented? Sure, if I had a few hundred dollars to get a better computer, but I don't feel I should be punished for that.

The ability to join a dropped match would be the best option to help this.

#16 WhiteRabbit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 377 posts
  • Locationover there

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

View PostScreech, on 23 February 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

NO. There is no reason to force people to watch crap play in order to get the full rewards. Quitting after getting killed is completely legit and forcing people to stay is cruel and unusual punishment. Forcing people to play through a crap match is one thing but expecting them to sit around and watch is another.

afaik it's already in..dc while you're still alive and you get nothing..dunno what should be wrong with that (though you are right, punishing some1 just because he doesn't want to watch his teammates recreate twitch plays pokemon with mechs would be really stupid ;) )

#17 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostScreech, on 23 February 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

How about not dying in the first place?
If you ask me, remove the win bonus and we don't have to talk about being forced to watch a match.
There should be no reward for rushing into the enemy lines right at match start and dying, just to get money.

#18 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:14 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 23 February 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

How about not dying in the first place?
If you ask me, remove the win bonus and we don't have to talk about being forced to watch a match.
There should be no reward for rushing into the enemy lines right at match start and dying, just to get money.

Great advice, don't die...

I no where talked about rushing into a fight and getting killed. I just said there is absolutely no reason to force players sit and watch their team bumble around in order to get full bonuses. It in no way breaks PGI's terms of agreement.

#19 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

View PostScreech, on 23 February 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

Great advice, don't die...

I no where talked about rushing into a fight and getting killed. I just said there is absolutely no reason to force players sit and watch their team bumble around in order to get full bonuses. It in no way breaks PGI's terms of agreement.

It is great, it really helps. ;)

The problem is, when you get rewards for doing nothing, people will exploit it. We had in during beta and we still have it.
Furthermore, you make it only more difficult for your team, who have one player less.

#20 Dan Nashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 606 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

If you drop into a match and disconnect at start, you get nothing already.
If you disconnect while still alive, you don't accumulate any more xp if targets you've tagged die later and you may not get the win/loss bonus (I have not actually tested). .
If you disconnect after death, I believe you still get everything.
There is no reconnect option yet. You can't reconnect if you want to.

I honestly think the reconnect is a technical challenge that PGI would like to fix but PGI has a very small team that has limited bandwidth. So I don't think we can just wave a magic wand and get instant reconnecting after a dropped game.

You can report people to support@mwomercs.com and they can take a more careful look.
They can easily look for patterns you can't see.
If someone is disconnecting every match, that's probably a computer problem. Believe me, it really really sucks for the person disconnecting. Suicide farming just isn't very efficient in this game. So I don't think people are doing that.

What you do see, is people only disconnecting on Alpine and Terra Therma, and making regular forum posts about how much they hate those two maps, but only the support team can really verify that data trend, and you can't just conclude that everyone who disconnects on terra therma is a jerk who should be punished.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users