3 replies to this topic

#1 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

The very best thing about MWO is the joy of forming a tight, coordinated, lance that works together to annihilate the opposing team. In order for this to happen, communication is crucial. Units need to be able to identify a target and coordinate fire to bring it down fast and hard. This used to be aided by the onboard targeting computer as it gave a letter designation to each enemy mech as it was identified by a teammate.

An Atlas designated "C" remained "C" for the whole match. But since UI 2.0 arrived, "Charlie" Atlas will go through four or five names IN THE SAME GAME. This bug renders target designation useless and impedes communication between players.

Flame on:

I'm not a programmer, but really, how hard would this be to fix? Why wasn't it hot-fixed in the first week? WHY IS THIS STILL AN ISSUE?!?

I really like this game and I generally overlook many of these small issues. But even my optimistic self is becoming aware that there is something seriously, systemically, wrong with the management/ development of this game.

If the programmers can't handle these small issues, how could they possibly manage anything larger?

Flame off.

#2 Stardancer01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 353 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:00 AM

So you want to allot a call-sign to each enemy mech identified?

I have heard this suggestion before as a possible ability of a ‘command consul’

#3 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

View PostStardancer01, on 29 March 2014 - 02:00 AM, said:

So you want to allot a call-sign to each enemy mech identified?

I have heard this suggestion before as a possible ability of a ‘command consul’

Well, that was exactly how it was before UI 2.0 caused it to go haywire. Each enemy mech was assigned a letter as it was encountered by friendly forces. This gave you a simple way to identify a good target and coordinate fire upon that target. Since UI 2.0, targets are still assigned a letter designation but that designation will change frequently. This is a bug in the code and should be fixed ASAP. The fact that it hasn't, speaks volumes about the disconnect between the programmer's priorities and player's in-game experiences.
[edited for grammar]

Edited by Win Ott, 29 March 2014 - 01:23 PM.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

bit of a thread necro, but here's a hypothetical question: do you know what causes the bug? If it was a simple fix it would have been fixed. It was previously "fixed" (UAV drones were taking up a designation, that was fixed but a whole new target designator bug came up) but then came back in a whole new form, meaning the issue was much more complicated than it initially appears.

Patch up the public test server on monday which will include a slightly early preview of the April 1st patch including the (hopefully final) fix to target desigination errors.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users