Timberwolf Build - Help Me Decide

7 replies to this topic

#1 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

Ok I am finalizing my Timberwolf prime build and can't decide between two very minor variations.

Then First variation is the following:

2 ER PPC
4 ER ML
1.2 Heat Management Score
2 JJ

The Second variation is:

2 ER PPC
2 ER ML
3 MGs
1.32 Heat Management Score
4 JJ

Now let me say a few things first.

One, I truly believe in the more JJs the better in most cases. With just 2 on the first variation, it is enough for gaining extra mobility, especially in Canyon but that is all I feel the value is, just extra mobility. With 4-5, however, the extra burn time, distance and height open us using the JJs tactically rather than just for mobility. Hardcore JJ fans will likely understand what I am taking about. Anyway keep how I feel about that in mind as you answer.

Now to evaluate the two variations.

With the first variation, I find myself usually only using the ER PPCs and mostly only one single pair of the MLs with the second pair totally reserved for when I just need that extra bit of firepower to finish off a mech. This allows me to keep my heat relatively under control. Also in crunch time when every little bit of heat hurts, I can fall back on just firing the 4 ER MLs for a decent punch with good range. On the negative side, if I try to go full bore it will overheat rather quickly so the second pair of ER MLs only get limited use. Also as I mention, having only 2 JJs while good for general mobility, doesn't really give the mech enough jump power for quick, on-the-fly, tactical jumps.

Now on the second variation, I obviously gain a pretty major heat advantage considering the MGs do not generate heat. This means that when I am in range of the MGs, I can keep them running full bore no matter my heat situation and I never have another set of ER MLs adding to heat even in emergency situations. However the kicker her is range. At only 120m I give up significant range compared to the ER MLs. Also it is easier to concentrate damage with the ER MLs which can be beneficial when you are trying to finish off an enemy mech. Also you add ammo which can explode which is a small disadvantage. As to the JJs, well 4 actually gives you that tactical flexibility 2 JJs lack so this is a definite bonus.

So what do you all think? MLs or MGs??

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

Lasers. Not sure how many JJs you like, but 24 DHS means pretty much infinite dual ERPPC shots, so I would rather jump low.

#3 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

View PostModo44, on 05 July 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

Lasers. Not sure how many JJs you like, but 24 DHS means pretty much infinite dual ERPPC shots, so I would rather jump low.

Dropped small laser for an extra dhs.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ce4c89d6fc025cc

#4 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

I say always have the CT/head laser. It will come in handy in those "I am just not quite dead." situations, and they do happen to everyone.

#5 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

Reminds me of my Jester build 2 ERPPCs & 4 MLs. Personally with the new fall damage mechanic, go towards max JJs so that you can save some to slow your fall. Here is a couple of choices of how I would go:
  • Version 1 - This is my personal favorite. 2 CERPPCS for range, 2 CERSLs for close range and you can use it when you are too hot. The lasers have a pretty fast rate of fire and low burn time so it can actually out damage a CERML in 1 location. Max JJs to minimize leg damage and maximize mobility. I run 17 DHS on my S Variant and have little to no issues with heat, so 22 DHS should be fine for you. Lastly a Targeting Computer MKII to give your lasers 213 meter range, 3.5% zoom and sensor range increase, almost 1600 meter per second CERPPC speed, and for the best part 16.5% crit for your CERPPCs and lasers.
  • Version 2 - Same as above but with CERMLs and a TC MKI
Targeting Computer Link

You could always drop down to 20 DHS and put in a Targeting Computer MKIV but that is up to you. Good luck with your decision and good hunting with your Timber Wolf.

Edited by FireSlade, 05 July 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#6 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

I use the first setup OP described and it is good.

#7 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

Go with the MGs. Those will help you more in close than extra lasers will when you are already running heat pig ERPPCs. Also, if you can deal with the lack of symmetry, put both ERPPCs in one arm, so you can put a lower arm actuator in the other arm, it will buy you some lateral (side to side) movement in the arms.

#8 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:55 AM

Do you plan to use this Timerwolf for premades or for pugs?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users