- - - - -

Is There Any Splash Damage?

8 replies to this topic

#1 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:36 AM

I'm wondering if missile ->explosions<- are AOE and will damage any mechs in the vicinity, including myself if I am hugging the target and spam it with SRMs.

Or if its just direct impact damage and the explosion is just a visual

#2 Wrathful-Khan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:42 AM

My understanding is that no, there is no splash damage. Individual missiles will damage only the components that they specifically hit.

A long while back there was splash damage, but they took it out because it ended being a damage amplifier and a lot of people got sad.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:44 AM

There used to be and at the end of this to some extent there is. There was a tremendous issue with it multiplying damage. A missile doing 2 damage would suddenly wind up doing 26+damage.

It's unconfirmed but suspected the AC/20 once had a splash mechanic as well (you could hit the ground and do partial damage to a mech that was near it; but this could easily have been lag before the HSR lag compensation days).

The ER PPC splash mechanic on the Clan side is incorrectly named. It is not splash at all, but a preset transfer mechanic so that the effect is controlled. There are at least two NGNG podcasts where PGI stated that they failed to properly rewrite the splash. They chose to work around it.

That said, there is (or was) a 5 (meter or centimeter) splash to any missiles, a somewhat necessary evil as the object "Grenade" would otherwise invalidate all missiles so that they would function as simple bullets. It's so small that you may as well consider it non-existent.

I suspect at some point they reworked missile code again around the time of the "100% of damage to where they hit" by separating it from object Grenade. If so, kudos. If not, then either a miracle happened or pigs flew because either they got rid of splash without breaking the game or who knows what they pulled.

Edited by Koniving, 02 October 2014 - 05:47 AM.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 02 October 2014 - 05:49 AM

The AC20 splash damage was, I think ,because the AC20 shell itself had a huge hitbox and it was possible to deal damage to multiple locations (or terrain and a mech) by having the large caliber slug literally impacting multiple sites at once.

Explosion splash had been redueced to a miniscule area of effect as Kon outlines above, because it was buggy as hell.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 02 October 2014 - 05:49 AM.

#5 Colby Boucher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:04 AM

Just for reference, I'd like to mention that air strikes / artillery do have mild splash damage.

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:14 AM

View PostColby Boucher, on 02 October 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

Just for reference, I'd like to mention that air strikes / artillery do have mild splash damage.

Oh yes, they are an AOE explosion

#7 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:30 AM

I'd also like to bring up collision damage. When I'm fight a light in a big mech and the light is face hugging, I'll steer into him. This will result in minor damage to the legs of both mechs. I've seen some players express concern that my weapon damage wasn't registering properly when that occurs.

Not really splash damage, but I thought it may be important to know that in the situation you described.

#8 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:36 AM

LB10-X/Arty/Air Strikes are the closest you can get to "splash" damage.

No, there are no ambient explosions at this time.

#9 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:50 AM

I don't remember damage "amplification" from missiles. I do remember that, because of the nature of splash damage from a mob of objects, damage from all would overlap the CT. Meaning mechs got their CTs cored way too easily from missiles.

I still get magic CT damage from missiles, regardless of which way I'm turned. I keep thinking that it's an HSR issue, as in by the time I see them, they've already done the damage. Who knows.

Dumb fire missiles to the ground was a VERY useful tactic in...MW4? The AoE would strip legs, which was one of the only ways an LRM boat could defend itself. At least as I recall. JJ + missiles to the ground.

Unrelated, but I miss missile knockdown too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users