How About A Subscription Option

84 replies to this topic

#1 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:17 PM

Why doesnt this game have a subscription option? Something like, $10 USD per month gets you premium bonus and 10% discount on MC purchases for the month.

#2 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:21 PM

I'm for it, course I am from that era of Online Gaming, however the new generation want nothing to do with it.

#3 R Razor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania ...'Merica!!

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

I'd prefer to see it set up as a pay to play as opposed to free to play........would eliminate a LOT of the issues seen in the game as well as in the forums. I'd happily pay $19.95 a month to get rid of some of the dead weight.

Edited to clarify: I do not believe free to play players are deadweight, the deadweight I was referring to are easily identifiable by their attitudes and posting styles. Apparently one such individual thought I was referring to free to play players and decided to "champion" their cause.

Edited by R Razor, 02 December 2014 - 07:08 PM.

#4 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:39 PM

View PostR Razor, on 01 December 2014 - 07:23 PM, said:

I'd prefer to see it set up as a pay to play as opposed to free to play........would eliminate a LOT of the issues seen in the game as well as in the forums. I'd happily pay $19.95 a month to get rid of some of the dead weight.

To much have to be 15 or less US $

#5 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

You can buy a years worth of Premium + 2400MC for $50 = $4.16 / month (plus a free Catapult if you get in on the Paypal deal). Instead of paying monthly, just buy once every year around Black Friday. :D

They should increase the sale so $50 would buy 15,600 MC. That way we get Premium + 1 mechbay every month for a year (or more if you wait until a mechbay sale). Even if you play sporadically, with Premium it should be pretty easy to play enough to buy and equip at least one mech per month in C-bills. Not bad for under $5 per month.

#6 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:06 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 01 December 2014 - 07:21 PM, said:

I'm for it, course I am from that era of Online Gaming, however the new generation want nothing to do with it.

Me to. I prefer that method. Ultimately its way cheaper and to me personally it makes more sense.

Edited by Louis Brofist, 01 December 2014 - 08:06 PM.

#7 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:11 PM

Nope. Already bad enough that I lose as much premium time as I do to months-long downtime. Subscriptions are almost always an excuse for developers to be (even more) lazy. They don't even have to do anything to take your money anymore - you signed up to just hand it over to them every month, no muss no fuss. Rather than having to strive to earn your dollars, all they have to do is avoid actively pissing you off enough to make you cancel your sub.

I mean, my God. Look at Warcraft. Just...look at it.

MWO's monetization scheme is ass - like, ass; it's froggin' horrible - and there are days I feel bad for buying into it as readily as I do (curse you Battletech-covered childhood!), but it's still better than paying fifteen bucks a month for jack-all zilch nada, a'la most any subscription game.

#8 nitra

• Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:18 PM

No matter the reason for not offering a sub it is still a pretty terrible business strategy.

I know the whole free to play mantra and how it work and how it is supposedly better.

but all i know is that ccp got 15 dollars from me this month and PGI got nothing.

reason being is because ccp offers me something for that 15 and im willing to send the money for that ..

where as pgi has very lil i want i dont see any value in their cammos paints or mc mechs.

however to be completely transparent i did buy the innersphere reinforcement thingy but regardless in the end ccp still earned more money from me than pgi .

and what makes that even more a travesty is that i play this game 20X more than i play eve..

I really do think pgi is loosing a revenue source by not offering a sub model that gives subscribers access to premium content .

like special paints camos features and extra art assets .

maybe one day they will wake up .

Edited by nitra, 01 December 2014 - 09:14 PM.

#9 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:56 PM

I made a Post aways back on this and most people nixed the Idea.Problem is people expect Regular High Quality Content for their 15 to 20 dollars a month.I am not sure they(PGI) could commit to that.

Edited by Green Mamba, 01 December 2014 - 08:57 PM.

#10 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:04 PM

I could get down with a subscription. $5/month for permanent premium time. $10/month for premium time plus a small MC stipend. $15/month for all of the above, plus something like a 10% discount in the store...maybe a special paint job for new mechs.

The thing is, who cares if everyone won't jump on board...just have it for an option for those of us who would.

Edited by CocoaJin, 01 December 2014 - 10:07 PM.

#11 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:09 PM

View Postnitra, on 01 December 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

but all i know is that ccp got 15 dollars from me this month and PGI got nothing.

reason being is because ccp offers me something for that 15 and im willing to send the money for that

It's the exact opposite for me.

I payed ccp for one month of game play, and never played it again after that. Meanwhile this past year PGI has got way more money from me than I ever intended on paying for a game. But I got to pick and choose what I wanted to spend my money on, when I wanted to spend it.

The day this game goes subscription is the day I leave and never look back.

#12 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:13 PM

Why assume going subscription would be compulsory? We wouldn't have to be subscribing to play, we'd be subscribing for perks such as premium time and perhaps store discounts and MC.

#13 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:21 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 01 December 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

Why assume going subscription would be compulsory? We wouldn't have to be subscribing to play, we'd be subscribing for perks such as premium time and perhaps store discounts and MC.

why have to pay a subscription for those things when we can already pick and choose individually which ones we want to pay for?

#14 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:26 PM

View PostKilo 40, on 01 December 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

why have to pay a subscription for those things when we can already pick and choose individually which ones we want to pay for?

By committing to a subscription period, PGI can provide players a greater value for those items...like a value meal. They secure guaranteed monthly income and we get more bang for our buck.

#15 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:30 PM

I think you're missing the point.

Nobody's suggesting the F2P model to be dropped. Just that an additional option be made available. MWO wouldn't be the first to provide a subscription option that grants premium time and bonus perks like a stipend of MC.

Is there something inherently wrong with that idea? It's not like anyone will be forced to use it.

#16 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:32 PM

I don't mind a subscription but most Sub based games offer much more than you're proposing. For instance, $5 more a month and you can get a WoW (I know, totally different type of game) subscription and have access to several days worth of content and you would likely never complete most of it. 8yrs in and I still had several hundred achievements and at least 2k quests I had never seen... and I actively worked toward the whole completionist aspect of the game.

Not only that, it has soooo many features and ways to enjoy your time... and ALL of the content is open for you. Here... $10 for premium time and a MC discount? I dunno about that. It would have to definitely be more enticing. They would have to offer 1 free mech, you can pick the class/chassis of your choice. Even that is hard to do since so many of us have paid $$ or grinded the cbills to save up. It could be a limited selection per weight class...

I dunno... it's not something I feel is out of the question... it would really need to be done properly. I would gladly pay the sub just for another avenue of supporting MWO.

I would be ok if they just made it to where premium time only ticked down as you were actively logged in. If you decide to AFK in the mechlab for an hour and use it up, that's your fault. But knowing it's slowly trickling away every time I go to sleep/work/poop... that really sucks...

View PostCocoaJin, on 01 December 2014 - 10:04 PM, said:

The thing is, who cares if everyone won't jump on board...just have it for an option for those of us who would.

This too. They're not losing anything by giving people another option. The people who are going to buy premium time at a premium can do so... and those who are more thrifty can pay the sub. People who pay more for premium can just live with the fact that they have a choice and they chose to take the more expensive path.

Edited by Moonlander, 01 December 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#17 nitra

• Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:33 PM

because there is a player base who sees no value in the individual items . im not paying for cockpit items ..

were if we had a sub that gave us premium a few subscriber paints and cammo and maybe a few extra goodies then i wouldnt mind handing over some cash a month .. but as it stands now i question every item in the store for its value as i see none .

ill buy the ocassional mech pack that will net me something i really want .

buts its ashamed that their is no option for players who would perfer a sub ... why turn down money ?

#18 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:39 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 01 December 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

By committing to a subscription period, PGI can provide players a greater value for those items...like a value meal. They secure guaranteed monthly income and we get more bang for our buck.

It wouldn't be a guaranteed monthly income for PGI.

View PostScratx, on 01 December 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

I think you're missing the point.

Nobody's suggesting the F2P model to be dropped.

well, except for those who are...

#19 Kavoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:39 PM

$20 holy %&@$. Even "top" mmos with insane amounts of content are only 15 (WoW). 20 bucks a month for constant death matches and the same consistent gameplay drop after drop would kill this game so damn fast.

#20 nitra

• Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:43 PM

View PostMoonlander, on 01 December 2014 - 10:32 PM, said:

I don't mind a subscription but most Sub based games offer much more than you're proposing. For instance, $5 more a month and you can get a WoW (I know, totally different type of game) subscription and have access to several days worth of content and you would likely never complete most of it. 8yrs in and I still had several hundred achievements and at least 2k quests I had never seen... and I actively worked toward the whole completionist aspect of the game.

Not only that, it has soooo many features and ways to enjoy your time... and ALL of the content is open for you. Here... $10 for premium time and a MC discount? I dunno about that. It would have to definitely be more enticing. They would have to offer 1 free mech, you can pick the class/chassis of your choice. Even that is hard to do since so many of us have paid $$ or grinded the cbills to save up. It could be a limited selection per weight class...

I dunno... it's not something I feel is out of the question... it would really need to be done properly. I would gladly pay the sub just for another avenue of supporting MWO.

I would be ok if they just made it to where premium time only ticked down as you were actively logged in. If you decide to AFK in the mechlab for an hour and use it up, that's your fault. But knowing it's slowly trickling away every time I go to sleep/work/poop... that really sucks...

This too. They're not losing anything by giving people another option. The people who are going to buy premium time at a premium can do so... and those who are more thrifty can pay the sub. People who pay more for premium can just live with the fact that they have a choice and they chose to take the more expensive path.

thats one of the problems with mwo it has so lil content that its hard to build a sub model around .

still i think this would net at least some respectable dosh a month for pgi

sub plan :

premium time all the time

mc stipend lets start at 100 a month work our way up/down from there to something that makes sense

special subscriber color selection and cammo

link cammos to maps - so your mechs will always be your chosen cammo for a particular map ie green for swamp white for artic etc ...

and custom huds differnt target reticule more numbers alternate paper doll etc...

Edited by nitra, 01 December 2014 - 10:46 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users