• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:54 AM

Hello all,

I'll be purchasing some NF-A14's for my new upcoming PC build, and I really hate how Noctua's products are so stellar, but they can never just ditch the brown color completely. I'll be purchasing some NF-A14 iPPC PWM fans (4 of them), and I'd really like to know what the best way of painting over the four removable rubber corners would be. I plan to paint them white.

Posted Image
I know standard spray paint won't cut it, since these pieces will be bending and contorting when the fans are screwed in (don't want paint to flake off). So my question is: is there a special way (or product) that you recommend to pain rubber materials?

#2 DHeth

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 20 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:44 AM

Plasti Dip is the only product i've had luck with on flexible surfaces. I prefer the liquid dip to the aerosol cans.

http://www.plastidip...ions/Plasti_Dip

They also sell a special primer for plasti dip, but I haven't had to use it. Just prep the surface well and clean it with alcohol.

#3 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:26 PM

Or, you could just pop the ones not touching the heat sink off …

#4 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:45 PM

Greetings all,

Look for the Smooth-On product called Psycho Paint, it's used to paint silicon materials.
- Used exclusively in the 'props' and artisan fields for painting flexible silicon and rubberized materials.

Warning, read the MSDS and safety warnings, this stuff is not to be fooled with.
here's a link to check: http://www.smooth-on...1198/index.html

For colour additions, Silc Pig silicone pigments are compatible with Psycho Paint.
- This is a rather drastic method to just paint the corner vibration dampers, but it works on all silicon materials and is permanent.

Technically the fans should be flat against a surface when the back screws are tightened, so no flexing will happen. The silicon corners are the vibration dampeners for the fan case only, if you are not using the outside/front ones they can be removed without issues. (you may not even be able to see the back ones.)

Just some info,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 09 December 2014 - 02:58 PM.

#5 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:26 PM

View PostGoose, on 09 December 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

Or, you could just pop the ones not touching the heat sink off …

Could remove yes, but I'd like to try and paint them white to match my build.

To the other two replies, I'll check those products out. Thanks!

#6 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:35 AM

Good luck, rubber and paint are sworn enemies.

#7 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:50 AM

Greetings all,

The Psycho Paint material is a commercial product, not cheap and normally only used in the 'professional end' of painting silicon, rubber, and flexible materials.
- It's not cheap, as I stated.
- It's only go a 20mins work time.
- And permanently bonds to the material, you will not get it back off.
(some uses, silicon goggles, dive fins, flexible neoprene clothing, costume masks, molded flexible auto parts, you get the picture)

Read the literature, it's not a retail product, so you'd normally never see it advertised.
- As with most of the professional materials and products, quality and absolute must work dependability is kept in the high end professional market.
(as a note, this is one of the materials that 'special effects' pro's use to colour and paint the movie clothing we see in action flicks. 'Halo, Batman, Avengers, some examples where this and products like it are spray painted to detail body mouldings and props items.)

You can also look into any 'Platinum Silicon Paint system' products,
- there's a product called FuseFX M-Series.
- It was developed for colouring medical prosthetics, special effects artists, doll makers or anyone using silicon as a medium.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 10 December 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#8 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:26 AM

Just an idea if ya really wanna redo them and time and money not a problem.

Go to hobby store get small kit to make casts.

Smooth-On being well known one http://www.smooth-on...1290/index.html

Pop off the offending parts, make cast of them then make your own in color you like.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users