Gameplay Maps Metagame

14 replies to this topic

#1 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:46 PM

What do people think of the maps with the insane choke points? Just a general consensus will be interesting

I found the game didn't really pick up until over half way. There should be way more open ground or something outside the base, the chokepoints are really nasty for gameplay imo

One game i had fun was using an ice ferret OUTSIDE the base ( was defender ) and shooting mechs attacking other gates from behind.

#2 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:52 PM

Good point. So far they're fun, because we're not used to the maps. But all other maps with massive chokepoints so far have been very tiresome at length, because the matches are so predictable. I think this game mode kind of counters that, because deathballing is such an awful tactic for this game mode, except maybe for Clan teams where everyone is moving at 90 kph.

The basic design of the maps is sound, but unfortunately the game can't handle much bigger maps. With bigger maps, the chokepoints wouldn't be so crowded, but we would still enjoy the strategical element of the current design.

#3 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:59 PM

Not digging that pathways leading up hills are completely off limits, to be honest.

#4 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:00 PM

1 match... and I came to the conclusion that the choke points are non-existent when strolling together.

Deathblob could not be more powerful as it was before.

Will need to drop more to draw a better conclusion (dropped on the ice map as defender).

#5 Bulvar Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:08 PM

more use of the map would have been better, say multiple gates, that if attacker gets through shuts down turrets in a different gate., with over and under areas that allow defenders and attackers to regroup before moving on.

Plus having a Radar station/ comms tower being able to be knocked out to limit defenders re-enforcements for say an additional 30 seconds would have been a nice touch.

Edited by Bulvar Jorgensson, 11 December 2014 - 05:08 PM.

#6 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:13 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 11 December 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

The basic design of the maps is sound, but unfortunately the game can't handle much bigger maps. With bigger maps, the chokepoints wouldn't be so crowded, but we would still enjoy the strategical element of the current design.

I'm pretty sure Cryengine could handle bigger maps just fine...if the maps get bigger then 4 kilometers x 4 kilometers (on a regular scale which MWO does not use) is about the limit with the 32 bit client.

Edited by Darth Futuza, 11 December 2014 - 05:13 PM.

#7 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:15 PM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 11 December 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure Cryengine could handle bigger maps just fine...if the maps get bigger then 4 kilometers x 4 kilometers (on a regular scale which MWO does not use) is about the limit with the 32 bit client.

He probably meant performance wise, because most people are getting like 5-30 fps in this battles.

#8 KraftySOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:16 PM

Yeah id like to see gates in a series as well as just the multiple paths. Theres alot you can do with it. Hopefully theyre on it. The maps have been getting better, and these were pretty rushed. Though imho theyre on par with like, Mordor, Caustic, and Canyons.

View PostKaramarka, on 11 December 2014 - 05:15 PM, said:

He probably meant performance wise, because most people are getting like 5-30 fps in this battles.

*some people

Im fine, and I dont even have a super awesome rig.

#9 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:17 PM

View PostKaramarka, on 11 December 2014 - 05:15 PM, said:

If that's the case, I doubt its the map causing the issue apparently there's a bug this patch that affects fps: http://mwomercs.com/...re-patch-13358/

Personally my FPS hasn't changed at all (and I play on a craptop), but several people in my unit reported that they had massive fps drops (on any map).

Edited by Darth Futuza, 11 December 2014 - 05:19 PM.

#10 SpeedingBus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:19 PM

The side defending has a hilarious easy time just using arty strikes/air strikes when the attackers attempt to come through the gate when the gate is so dam tiny just free damage for defenders with zero counter play.

#11 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:16 PM

View PostSpeedingBus, on 11 December 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

The side defending has a hilarious easy time just using arty strikes/air strikes when the attackers attempt to come through the gate when the gate is so dam tiny just free damage for defenders with zero counter play.

Technically that's pretty realistic, defending a defensible position is generally easier then assaulting it.

#12 Artgathan

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:21 PM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 11 December 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

Technically that's pretty realistic, defending a defensible position is generally easier then assaulting it.

Except that attackers typically try to have 3v1 advantage versus the defenders because of things like that

#13 Naduk

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:21 PM

i think they are fine for now
we only have 2 maps and they are quite different

i hope that each future map gets more and more different

imagine a map that is fairly open but has many gates within a Ringed compound

also, if no attackers are around , gates should open for defenders to pass through (if they dont already)

#14 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostArtgathan, on 11 December 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

Except that attackers typically try to have 3v1 advantage versus the defenders because of things like that

Clanners are weird though and don't like using strategy that give them an 'unfair' advantage.

#15 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:36 PM

View PostKaramarka, on 11 December 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

What do people think of the maps with the insane choke points? Just a general consensus will be interesting

I found the game didn't really pick up until over half way. There should be way more open ground or something outside the base, the chokepoints are really nasty for gameplay imo

One game i had fun was using an ice ferret OUTSIDE the base ( was defender ) and shooting mechs attacking other gates from behind.

Defenders should have the advantage in this game mode. That being said, one of our Defenses of New Caledonia failed because the QQ FRR 12-man managed to draw our Brawlers consistently into small unit actin within the heavily constricted terrain just inside of Alpha Gate on the new. Hot Springs map. After 22 minutes there were only 6 Defenders with Mechs tot throw into combat.

Battle of Attrition at its best!

My hat is off to QQ and the FRR Heathen Army!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users