Tcp Optimizer--If You Want Your Mwo Fps Spikes To Go Away.

36 replies to this topic

#1 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:44 PM

I tried this program and chose optimal settings
and my fps spikes went away.

I played a game in CW
and constant spikes in fps went away...

http://www.speedguid...t/downloads.php

If you had a similar experience with this program, chime in.

If you want to try it out and see if it helps you..
please do and post your results. Thank you.

Edited by Jesus DIED for me, 31 December 2014 - 10:49 PM.

#2 Exarch Levin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:36 AM

Very interesting. I ran it as you did, setting to 40 Mbit, and my FPS is staying green and near 60 and doesn't seem to have periods where it really spikes down and the action drags.

I'll have to play a few games to see if I'm not just imagining it/it's a fluke (call me a pessimist after all these MWO performance issues) but this may have just upped the playability of mwo for me by leaps and bounds. Thanks for pointing it out.

#3 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:15 AM

Leatrix latency fix under another name.
Anyone familiar with MMOs should already have this.

I can't see why it would effect your FPS tho.

#4 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:16 AM

That's indeed interesting to read. Specifically because most of MWO runs on UDP/IP not TCP/IP.

#5 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:41 AM

Didn't help my FPS what so ever, but for the first time ever i did get disconnected from the game server.

#6 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:12 AM

View PostJesus DIED for me, on 31 December 2014 - 10:44 PM, said:

I tried this program and chose optimal settings
and my fps spikes went away.

I played a game in CW
and constant spikes in fps went away...

http://www.speedguid...t/downloads.php

If you had a similar experience with this program, chime in.

If you want to try it out and see if it helps you..
please do and post your results. Thank you.

That is interesting, as Latency and FPS are two separate things not related to one another.

#7 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:35 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 01 January 2015 - 03:15 AM, said:

Leatrix latency fix under another name.

This "Leatrix" thing is the part where you set TcpAckFrequency= and TcpNoDelay=1 within TCPOptimizer, after choosing Optimal and appling that; 'Optimizer does a bit more then just that …

Yes: Do a bandwidth test in your browser, input the faster of the two speeds you get into TCPOptimizer, select Optimal, then apply, then don't reboot; Now you set TcpAckFrequency= and TcpNoDelay=1, apply, reboot …

#8 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:16 PM

This is literally one of the first things I run when somebody tells me their computer is slow. This should be on everyone's PC, regardless if they play games or not. I didn't think there was anybody that did not know about this as it has been around forever.

#9 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:34 PM

No body knows about it, the same way no one has mentioned DNSBench to go with it …

;)

#10 Exarch Levin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:20 PM

View PostLordred, on 01 January 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

That is interesting, as Latency and FPS are two separate things not related to one another.

Maybe. My FPS per se hasn't improved drastically. However, the annoying stuttering/choppiness that I was getting, which made my FPS seem far lower (and straining to the eye) than reported, is all but gone. Definite boon to playability; now 40-60 FPS in MWO looks like what 40-60 FPS should look like, and does look like in other (offline/lan) games, on a 60 Hz monitor, instead of the flipbook stuff that I was getting before.

Interestingly, GPU-Z reports that my GPU, while still seldom fully loaded and only ever rising to peak speed at PGI's horribly unoptimized menus, never drops below 800 MHz during a match, whereas before it was dropping down to near "idle" speeds (~300 MHz).

#11 Jabilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:15 PM

I remember tweaking theses sorts of settings back in my modem days.

I never understood why the geniuses who write windows choose default settings that are not optimal, and it always makes me nervous to tweak things.

Edit: Tried it and made no appreciable difference apart form getting "unknown errors" when redeeming contest prizes. Could be unrelated but I can not recommend this tweak.

Edited by Jabilo, 01 January 2015 - 05:38 PM.

#12 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:52 PM

It is unrelated. You won't see any drastic gains in MWO. Your ping may drop a bit, though. However, with a higher MTU you should see less slingshotting if you did before, and you should have better throughput when receiving and sending info to the server.

What this will more likely help with in an increased capacity is if you run other things in the background, such as TS3 or an audio app that is streaming.

Goose, I forgot about DNS Benchmark! Been a while since I have seen it.

#13 Exarch Levin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:15 PM

It is unrelated. You won't see any drastic gains in MWO.

Depends upon what you mean by "drastic" as I got a drastic boost in playability: it seems I'm finally now up to the levels of horribly CPU-bound MWO performance that y'all with similar setups have been at. ;)

Perhaps now that I can play without sudden, dramatic FPS spikes (I'm talking ~60 dropping to <18; one match FRAPS had me dropping to 0 FPS) and rubberbanding/slingshotting I can experiment with some builds that aren't heavy on the LRMs/Streaks or the mighty LBX :)

Edited by Exarch Levin, 01 January 2015 - 08:17 PM.

#14 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:42 PM

View PostExarch Levin, on 01 January 2015 - 08:15 PM, said:

Depends upon what you mean by "drastic" as I got a drastic boost in playability: it seems I'm finally now up to the levels of horribly CPU-bound MWO performance that y'all with similar setups have been at. ;)

Perhaps now that I can play without sudden, dramatic FPS spikes (I'm talking ~60 dropping to <18; one match FRAPS had me dropping to 0 FPS) and rubberbanding/slingshotting I can experiment with some builds that aren't heavy on the LRMs/Streaks or the mighty LBX :)

Thanks for the feedback. I know, this might not be true for everyone, but if I am not the only one who is seeing a difference after running this program then maybe there is some truth to it. I know I didn't gain any fps (higher overall level-wise) but I did see a reduction of sudden sharp spikes in fps. Also, I am running this config setup currently.. you might want to give it a shot:

gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass=0

r_ColorGrading=0
r_DepthOfField=0
r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0
r_FogShadows=0

sys_MaxFPS=120
(sys_TaskThread0_CPU=1)
(sys_TaskThread1_CPU=2)
(sys_TaskThread2_CPU=3)
(sys_TaskThread3_CPU=4)
(sys_TaskThread4_CPU=5)
(sys_streaming_CPU=5)
(sys_physics_CPU=6)

sys_budget_streamingthroughput=32768000 (16000 * 2048)
sys_LocalMemoryGeometryStreamingSpeedLimit=32768000 (16000 * 2048)
sys_LocalMemoryTextureStreamingSpeedLimit=32768000 (16000 * 2048)
sys_streaming_max_bandwidth=32768000 (winsat mem @command prompt * 2048)

The stuff in parenthesis is something that I tried but it didn't work for me McWarriorOnline still uses the same CPU core it likes, not what you are telling it to use. AMD Phenom II 6 core (threadless CPU) here.

#15 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:47 PM

View PostGoose, on 01 January 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

No body knows about it, the same way no one has mentioned DNSBench to go with it …

;)

It was one of your posts that made me lookup TCP optimizer, actually--thanks. I didn't add DNSBench along.. I know.. I know.. (probably bunch of other stuff that could be useful too). But I do remember using TCP optimizer in Windows 98 or Windows XP days though.. it was kind of a retro-comeback. Thanks again for posting about it somewhere else.

#16 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:52 PM

View PostJabilo, on 01 January 2015 - 02:15 PM, said:

I remember tweaking theses sorts of settings back in my modem days.

I never understood why the geniuses who write windows choose default settings that are not optimal, and it always makes me nervous to tweak things.

Edit: Tried it and made no appreciable difference apart form getting "unknown errors" when redeeming contest prizes. Could be unrelated but I can not recommend this tweak.

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps you need to reboot your computer, clear MWO cache, and your Internet Browser cache, if you didn't do that already. MWO is closely tied to the Internet Browser--sometimes by using both at the same time I get a flickering bug. Another thing you might want to try is to run free program by iObit called Advanced SytemCare in order to clean stuff on your computer that you didn't even know was lurking there.

Edited by Jesus DIED for me, 01 January 2015 - 09:54 PM.

#17 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:55 PM

View PostExarch Levin, on 01 January 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

Maybe. My FPS per se hasn't improved drastically. However, the annoying stuttering/choppiness that I was getting, which made my FPS seem far lower (and straining to the eye) than reported, is all but gone. Definite boon to playability; now 40-60 FPS in MWO looks like what 40-60 FPS should look like, and does look like in other (offline/lan) games, on a 60 Hz monitor, instead of the flipbook stuff that I was getting before.

Interestingly, GPU-Z reports that my GPU, while still seldom fully loaded and only ever rising to peak speed at PGI's horribly unoptimized menus, never drops below 800 MHz during a match, whereas before it was dropping down to near "idle" speeds (~300 MHz).

That's interesting. Minimum GPU state optimized somehow? Who knew? :blink:

#18 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

View PostLordred, on 01 January 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

Really? What would happen if the latency goes on for awhile? I'll answer--GPU (especially modern Maxwell-type quick-reacting ones) would instantly throttle to lower performance state and this might give you an fps spike. It's only a theory but a workable one. You are saying it adamantly that one issue has absolutely no bearing on another but I don't think you should be so quick at jumping a gun on this issue.

Edited by Jesus DIED for me, 01 January 2015 - 09:59 PM.

#19 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:20 PM

View PostDV McKenna, on 01 January 2015 - 06:41 AM, said:

Didn't help my FPS what so ever, but for the first time ever i did get disconnected from the game server.

I can suggest you clear your MWO cache and reboot after performing such an operation, if you didn't already do that. See if it's repeatable or persistent.

#20 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:03 PM

Wow! That's a lot of posts in a row! :huh:

By drastic I meant you won't get some kind of crazy ping drop, like say from 110 down to 30. However, optimizing your TCP/IP stack does help with data delivery, so it should make things smoother. Glad it worked out for you.

I wouldn't be able to test pre and post as when I install the Windows, the first things I do, in order, are:

1. MB drivers.
2. NIC drivers.
3. TCP Optimizer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users