13 replies to this topic

#1 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:37 PM

I was running around without any armor in some trolling mechs for fun . I seam to live just as long with no armor v an assault with 100 on the ct.

Guess that's what happens when everyone is boating 60+ alphas.

#2 kapusta11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:45 PM

Put the largest XL engine you can in your assaults, that way you can torso twist fast and spread that laser vomit all across your body/arms, plus you can disengage faster.

#3 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

just don't get shot.

#4 Procale

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:48 PM

Also mount machine guns for high crit. chances when the enemy's armor is open and flamer to keep them over heated so they can't get those 60 point alphas on you.

#5 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

I'd focus on the heat system.

I've been brainstorming on what can be done to tweak what we already have and even be able to add in heat effects (Link in my sig).

#6 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

View Postkapusta11, on 06 January 2015 - 03:45 PM, said:

Put the largest XL engine you can in your assaults, that way you can torso twist fast and spread that laser vomit all across your body/arms, plus you can disengage faster.

I have done this on the defense side on CW. Its allowed me to boat a lot more weapons/ammo.

Just for the heck of it i just ran a firestarter with only 1 armor on everything but full armor on my legs. I died but i died of getting legged then they hit my side haha.

View PostBrody319, on 06 January 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

just don't get shot.

Kind of my point. The game seams to have turned into some fps with 1 shot kills and no respawn :P

#7 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 06 January 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

Kind of my point. The game seams to have turned into some fps with 1 shot kills and no respawn :P

I see no problem there.

#8 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:23 PM

View Postkapusta11, on 06 January 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

I see no problem there.

I think the emphasis of the problem is 1-shot kills more than no respawns.

#9 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:24 PM

View PostPjwned, on 06 January 2015 - 04:23 PM, said:

I think the emphasis of the problem is 1-shot kills more than no respawns.

The problem is that 1-shot kill no-re-spawn would be fine for a Rainbow Six game, but not anything that is supposed to simulate Battlemechs.

#10 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:27 PM

View PostSir Wulfrick, on 06 January 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

The problem is that 1-shot kill no-re-spawn would be fine for a Rainbow Six game, but not anything that is supposed to simulate Battlemechs.

One shot kills does happen in BT, in MWO you actually have twice as much armor, be grateful.

#11 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:40 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 06 January 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

Almost as if it was designed to tap into the wallets of people who like that sort of gaming.

In the before times a PPC fired once every 10 seconds.... This was deemed too slow... it lacked the pew pew ness for fun
Thus Paul and friends decreed the PPC to fire once every 4 seconds.... This felt right..... How ever damage output increased 250% and TTK droped but heat became an issue. mechs could over heat easily.... and this was deemed good.
To combat pathetically short life expectancy's and match times less then 3 minutes or so...armor was doubled.... match times increased along with life expectancy's....

Over all the port from TT to FPS was botched....

When you increase rate of fire you must control damage relative to the change in rate of fire.... That means the PPC needs to be delivering 4 point of damage. why because Target size and speed MATERS far more then it did in TT. This was not corrected for in any way shape or form and why lights are incredibly tough relative to a much larger, slower yet supposedly better armored assault mech.... Atlas = place your shot..... spider @ 150... pleases let me hit it....

Over all your right armor doesn't matter much because everyone runs max or tries to skimp on legs and rear. Speed is more important. Its what makes the TW so good.... it sits on the sweet spot for engine size to speed ratio. In fact all 75 ton mechs do its just the TW has a clan XL

All 80+ ton mechs in the game are under armored. Armor cant be a linear fit it must be exponential.

#12 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

View Postkapusta11, on 06 January 2015 - 04:27 PM, said:

One shot kills does happen in BT, in MWO you actually have twice as much armor, be grateful.

There's also 3x+ damage. The Dragons AC5s fire every .68 seconds?

That'd be an AC70? And it mounts two of those. Not exactly TT figures.

#13 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:12 PM

1-hit kills are very rare. Like, I got one-shotted in my locust trying to run past the front of a dire wolf to get around to his back. That was probably a bad decision.

Speeding up the cadence of the game (by doubling armor and giving approximately 2.5* weapon ROF, which is not the same as 2.5* damage output because of heat mostly) does a few things:

It lets you feel like you're doing something more often (although the thing you're doing matters less).

It makes range seem to matter more since you can get more hits in before the enemy reaches you if they're charging.

It makes heat something that actually matters for almost all mechs. By the base rules most mechs are heat-neutral and you can ignore the entire system.

It helps spread damage in many situations. (but not, highly skilled player w/ PPFLD mech)

Overall, it probably increases TTK.

As for whether armor and internal structure values are balanced across mech weights... I don't know. Basically, you'd want to do something like
mech1 armor * mech1 evasiveness * mech1 firepower = mech2 armor * mech2 evasiveness * mech2 firepower

With an evasiveness of 1.0 meaning you get hit all the time, and 2.0 means you get hit half the time, etc. Some light mechs like Spiders seem to have an evasiveness of 10 or higher. x.x

But this would lead to silly conclusions, like assault mechs having less armor than heavies, since it's pretty easy to hit anything larger than a Cicada.

#14 Rokuzachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 511 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:17 PM

There's so many problems stacking on top of eachother in this game and creating a giant cluster that I don't think it's possible to actually fix them without just starting over and ditching all these ridiculous contrived things we've got now.

Of course, that assumes the game wasn't supposed to be Call of Mechduty Online. The internet wants pewpewlasers and big explosions right nao. Don't think, just alpha. As soon as you die get in a new mech and do it again until you have enough cbills to get your new hotness.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users