Simple Fix For "like A Champion Mark Ii Event" And The Like

7 replies to this topic

#1 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:46 AM

Just grinded this till 25 and while such tournaments may bring PGI their record number of players, I at least unfortunately realized it was not much fun. The biggest problem with the 3 goals (kill, assist & win) is the KILL condition, which does not encourage teamwork like the other two and results in situations, where you open up an enemy mech and then some team mate steals the kill with one laser beam.

I think a simple fix to this would change the KILL condition to KILL WITH MOST DAMAGE. We already see this flashing up when an enemy mech is killed (by someone else than you) to which you inflicted the most damage. So it's already in the game and shouldn't require much work. This would reward players who are really responsible for wrecking an enemy mech.

To favor lighter mechs carrying less weaponry, it would also be possible to reward both of those conditions so that in each game there is 24 points available instead of 12 and a player can get 2 points per match. Then the points of challenge would also have to be doubled (raven at 50 points and so forth).

Cheers,

Rascal

#2 Ascaloth

NUMERO UM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 569 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:50 AM

I want to see a challenge with "Top damage" as 1st condition for a point :P

#3 The Crow2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 156 posts
  • LocationAustralia Mate !

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:05 AM

View PostRasc4l, on 23 February 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

Just grinded this till 25 and while such tournaments may bring PGI their record number of players, I at least unfortunately realized it was not much fun. The biggest problem with the 3 goals (kill, assist & win) is the KILL condition, which does not encourage teamwork like the other two and results in situations, where you open up an enemy mech and then some team mate steals the kill with one laser beam.

I think a simple fix to this would change the KILL condition to KILL WITH MOST DAMAGE. We already see this flashing up when an enemy mech is killed (by someone else than you) to which you inflicted the most damage. So it's already in the game and shouldn't require much work. This would reward players who are really responsible for wrecking an enemy mech.

To favor lighter mechs carrying less weaponry, it would also be possible to reward both of those conditions so that in each game there is 24 points available instead of 12 and a player can get 2 points per match. Then the points of challenge would also have to be doubled (raven at 50 points and so forth).

Cheers,

Rascal

Agreed, kill with most damage makes more sense. This event has really shown having a "kill" condition only encourages "teammates" whose tactic is to wander alongside you and don't engage until your target is almost dead then they alpha the target to take the kill.

This practice during this event has made me not want to bother.

#4 MadLibrarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Essay

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:18 AM

They were doing so well when they used match score, but 30 was a bit low. If they want it to be a challenge, even 60-80 is reasonable.

Kill most damage dealt might work too.

#5 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:27 AM

View PostAscaloth, on 23 February 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

What do you think is more likely to score a "Most Damage Kill" a commando 2D or a 6xcUAC5 Direwolf. Kill steals happen, sometimes they are really shady, but more often than not killing a mech with 1 medium laser in the right spot at the right moment is more praisable than killing it by splashing the mech with ordinance for a minute. I understand the complain, but a "challenge" revolving around DPS would be worst than anything we've had until now.

#6 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:36 AM

View PostAscaloth, on 23 February 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

That would suck.

Drop into game, get yelled at for carrying team.

"FFS tryhard, go away, we're trying to do the challenge and one of use can get more than 400 damage per game so you make us not win challenge"

The OP's idea would be fun though. When I run in smaller mechs I get a ton of "kill most damage" every game but the actual scores at the end bounce between 0 K 12 A and 2 K 4 A, depending on if I got the last shot or just spent forever opening up and assault with 2 ERL only to get it poached as soon as it showed internals, so getting a point every game would be nice.

Edited by HARDKOR, 24 February 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#7 Firewuff

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:29 PM

I actually Hated this event. I played 9 games and got 1 point because my team kept losing. I find that more frustrating than the kills thing.

#8 The Crow2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 156 posts
  • LocationAustralia Mate !

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:43 AM

View PostBrizna, on 24 February 2015 - 07:27 AM, said:

What do you think is more likely to score a "Most Damage Kill" a commando 2D or a 6xcUAC5 Direwolf. Kill steals happen, sometimes they are really shady, but more often than not killing a mech with 1 medium laser in the right spot at the right moment is more praisable than killing it by splashing the mech with ordinance for a minute. I understand the complain, but a "challenge" revolving around DPS would be worst than anything we've had until now.

You are mishmashing 2 different ideas.

one idea was Top damage on the leaderboard. - This I would never agree to as it makes it hard to anyone not playing assault or heavy mechs.

The other idea was most damage kill means you get at least one "kill most damage" aknowledgement - if the commando is playing its role right there is no reason it cant get a kill most damage by flanking enemies effectively. I get plenty of kill most damage piloting my Jenner collection.

At least with "kill most damage" every player is going to go their hardest at dishing damage on targets & not just stand idly by as you solo down an Atlas while taking damage and then swoop in at the last moment with an alpha strike which is what has happened a lot in this last event. Ironically more often than not you get 2-3 people on your team kill stealing and you team cant win the match anyway, but try convincing the people doing the wrong thing that it is not in their best interest....

This event was the most frustrating I have participated in and it was extremely tedious and time consuming, by comparison I romped the points in quickly with the event that required a kill, assist, staying alive & a win.
In the end the number of matches I had to participate in just to unlock the raven was not at all worth it.

Edited by The Crow2k, 25 February 2015 - 02:56 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users